Breast Cancer....My Journey

Retired4now…thank you so much for sharing your story . I wish you the very very best :heart: The one thing that surprised me that I have found is different between Provinces, Manitoba. Alberta and B.C. pay for all our cancer medications no matter how or where we take them but other Provinces may not have them covered! I hope the other Provinces change this!

Eclipse please keep us up to date. I’m thinking of you.

Retired4now, hang in there and please keep in touch.

2 Likes

I am post menopausal and am on Arimidex, for at least 5 years, probably 10. It’s a small price to pay for being alive.

If you’re Er/pr negative, then your cancer is not driven by estrogen or progesterone so doesn’t generally get these medications (you may end up with chemo etc even at stage 1) but there’s also thE HER status to take into account as well (Herceptin etc)! This is why breast cancer has no cure …yet! Every persons is different and requires slightly different treatment. But, now, because of medication like Tamoxifen we have hope!

I am so grateful to researchers who discover what drives cancers, those who find ways to circumvent or address the often multiple issues associated with even a single type of cancer, those who are willing to take part in clinical trials and those medical teams that understand how the medications work and integrate with one another, then can explain it clearly to lay people like me. Herceptin has been a game changer for those of us with HER2+, HER2 used to dramatically shorten the expected lifespan of breast cancer victims.

3 Likes

Altermyne and Retired4now…wishing you both the best.

Ontario will also pay for all surgeries,treatments and medications unless the patient has other coverage through work or another insurance company. In that case Ontario will also pay the difference for what the employer/insurance company doesn’t cover.

I don’t know about Nova Scotia but will be finding out soon if I end up relocating. I’m on chemo meds(biologics) for RA and may be going onto DMARDS soon, I’ve been told Nova Scotia does cover it but I don’t know the specifics yet.

Canadiantrotter…I am so glad to hear that, I had seen on a report that some provinces were not covering chemo, medications etc unless they were administered in hospital which surprised me so I’m hoping that’s changed! In Alberta it’s all covered no matter what…even if you have employee coverage, your cancer meds automatically go on Alberta Healthcare, you just go to the hospital pharmacist to pick them up (employee benefits do not have to pick up an6 portion of cancer drugs) ! If we have to be on chemo and or radiation, the only meds we have to have extra coverage for are anti nausea and pain. There’s an add on plan to Alberta healthcare we can get, and if you fall under a certain wage it’s free!

Chiming in really late jingles

I think it may be the same here but because I am not familiar with all the different companies and their employee benefits I cannot say for sure.

I know someone that has Hep C and that his government employee would not cover the expensive trial treatment and neither would OHIP. He was told to apply to Ontario’s Trillium Healthcare and they covered it.

I had DCIS Stage 0 in 1998. Partial mastectomy, 6 weeks radiation, and 5 years of tamoxifen. Then I had a recurrence in the same breast in 2016 which turned out to be the same thing in the same breast. I had a double mastectomy in December 2016. I opted not to have reconstructive surgery. I have lymphedema that is under control in my right arm and spend two hours a day, one in the morning and one in the evening with a sleeve attached to a pump to keep the swelling at bay plus I wear an elastic sleeve and gauntlet. I no longer have to see my oncologist which seems strange. Great doctors. Good insurance. Caught it early. Very lucky. If you get an injury on tamoxifen get on top of it right away. I didn’t want to bother with an ankle injury, because I felt like I lived in doctor’s offices for awhile and ended up with a permanent issue though it’s much improved now with physical therapy. Stretch stretch stretch. Also, I had hot flashes for almost the entire time on tamoxifen which, to me, was positive and meant it was working. I agree. The silver lining is a lifting of migraines. Good luck. I’ll add you to my prayers. PS. I still ride dressage badly and play the piano badly. haha. . “Doctor, will I be able to ride dressage” “yes” “good, I never could before, just wondered.” I can still clean my own house and tack up though I needed help with the girth for a while. Take your time. Have fun. Let yourself adjust to the changes. Get help.

Quick update…Just got my next Surgery date…June 18. I could’ve gone in May, but chose to wait so I can at least get one horse show in LOL Riding is going well, I’m back to jumping 3ft and the only issue I’m noticing is I’m doing a weird twist with my opposite shoulder…probably compensating for the muscle weakness! Hopefully this will be the last surgery, but it will all depend on whether my oncologist lets me get the right side implanted to match, or wants to wait a year! Otherwise, all is good with the world!

2 Likes

I’m so glad to hear that you are able to ride and that you’re feeling well.

I hope that this will be the last surgery for you. :yes:

1 Like

Great update, hope you have a wonderful show!

That’s wonderful news! I hope your next surgery goes well and you’re back to 3 ft in no time. :slight_smile:

Are you doing PT exercises every day?
That should help even your body and that will help while riding.

It doesn’t only affect riding, as someone I know, not a rider, said that losing all that weight in front made her walk funny for a bit, until she was used to the new weightless front.
She was happy with the results, said it literally took a weight off her shoulders.

Sounds like you are doing super great.

Wish you best at the next surgery also.

I have had some PT but was able to do everything they were throwing at me with no issues, so the therapist decided to have me just do some specific exercises at home. I will go back after my next surgery again! I haven’t actually lost any weight in the front as I only had one breast removed and an expander immediately placed …if anything the 1lb I’ve gained I’m blaming on the expander as it’s a little heavier than my natural breast. I was never large breasted, so was able to stay the same size…the silicon implant should be much more comfortable, although the expander isn’t as bad as I thought! But yes…I do believe the weird twisting is definitely a balance issue. I wore a shoulders back yesterday around the house, and I definitely noticed I’m holding my shoulders slightly different. My therapist and plastic surgeon also think I will benefit more from PT after my exchange surgery as then I’ll have my nice silicon implant instead of this slightly heavier expander so things will feel much nicer and more natural!

1 Like

Just finished my show…went fantastic…well except for one oops lol. For the first time ever, I went into the ride off of a hunter medal in FIRST place…but then , during the ride off, Sullivan decided to try to buck my ass off! Apparently in the next ring, a loose horse so Sully lost his marbles, and although I did manage to stay on (barely) I did decide to pull into the Center of the ring…so from first to 4th I went…oh well! But, we finished my brief summer show show season on a high, with a 4th in the hunter classic…redemption!

Now, 1 week of riding left then the drs appts start again for my exchange surgery on June 18. To all of my fellow cothers…have a fabulous summer of showing I will be following your posts! Onwards to the final stretch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad you rode the rodeo…As I said the dressage judge on Sunday when I excused myself “live today, shine tomorrow”

You know you are a superstar for fighting this thing with determination and humour, you no longer need prizes to prove that.

1 Like

Hopefully this will be my final update,…although my treatment won’t end lol Exchange surgery (sayonara expander) was yesterday and I had the right “made to match” at the same time. my mastectomy side is not sore at all, but the other side is quite painful as he put the implant under the muscle to make sure future mammogram would be easier, allow less rippling, and allow for no lift as he got it to match well, but it meant cutting the pectoral muscle! the boobs already look good! Even with swelling and black marker drawn all over them…although I have some new scars they will be not seen as they’re under the breasts! And I got a new type of dressing that non of the nurses had seen, Clear tegaderm that I’m covered with all over my chest so no need for bandages! But, sadly, no showering for 2 weeks! Normally this dressing is used in small pieces, but my surgeon decided to cover my whole chest with it in large strips…so much nicer than being bound up tight!

4 Likes

I’m glad your final surgery went well, but can’t they give you something for the discomfort on your right side? Or can you ice it?

I have Tylenol 3 which helps but no getting the dressing wet for 2 weeks! It should settle down in a few days…so laze around with Netflix I will! It’s more “the boob is heavier with an implant in so it’s pulling down”…age 52 and an implant is something I thought I’d never say! Lol but, man it’s perky,! The mastectomy side has no more feeling, so no pain there!

1 Like