Breast Cancer....My Journey

Sounds great, just regular checkups for you then, how lucky.

It will feel good to get back on a horse, enjoy yourself.

Fantastic news…so happy for you!

Great news…and thanks again for sharing your journey

Yes, and just the reconstruction to complete! I’m very lucky! I figure that surgery will probably happen in about 3 months I’ll find out next Thursday, so no TBird this year, but that’s not a big deal!

3 Likes

Though I’m sure reconstruction won’t be a day at the beach, at least it’s adding and not taking away. I’m so glad to see this!

Well I did get the go ahead to start riding again and climbed aboard this past Monday. Holy crapola I am out of shape! I’ve managed 30 mins, three times and my trainer has ridden him once and one of the lovely girls that’s kept him going has also jumped him, so he was nice and quiet for me! Next week I’m going to join in one of the ladies flat lessons and do 45 mins and then do two 15 mins of just xrails etc until my balance is back. Plan is to do one outdoor show in May and then 2nd surgery sometime in June, so then we’ll start all over again.

I also started on Tamoxifen, and so far no side effects at all. In fact I’ve never felt better. I’ve suffered for years with hormone migraines as well as pressure migraines from weather, so far I’ve not had a single hormone migraine and I’m now sleeping the other night…no more insomnia (another thing I battled)…thank goodness!

6 Likes

Nice!
Who would’ve thought the medicine would have good side effects?

1 Like

I know…I’ve heard horror stories from many ladies who are on hormone therapy…but I guess we only hear the bad things, never the good as all things! It’s why I try to stay away from Dr Google LOL! But, there are millions of women out there on these medications so you know they all can’t be suffering!

1 Like

Everyone I have known on the right kind of HRT for them was ecstatic.
They said their quality of life had improved tremendously.
Some even said they had been seriously suicidal before starting HRT.

Nothing is without side effects, just not everyone will have any of those.

Glad that your drs have you back on your feet and riding again.

1 Like

Just an FYI - Tamoxifen is NOT hormone replacement therapy. It is an Estrogen suppressant. The OP’s tumour was tested and probably was determined to be Estrogen sensitive, hence the use of Tamoxifen. (I was on it for five years and then took another Estrogen suppressant - whose name escapes me at the moment - for another five years. Not exactly fun! And apologies if I have missed important facts as I haven’t read the entire thread. Just posted for clarification.)

1 Like

Good point.

I was thinking we were talking about HRT, not Tamoxifen.

Since most breast cancers are estrogen receptive, no one susceptible to those kinds of cancers would be prescribed HRT with estrogen, I don’t think.

Nope, you’re never prescribed HRT with estrogen for breast cancer…always what’s called a “SERM” selective estrogen receptor modulator! It completely shuts down all estrogen in the body and is given to pre menopausal women. After menopause you may be able to stay on it, or more than likely you get moved to an Aromatase Inhibitor, to stop the estrogen that is still produced in the adrenal glands and fat cells…there’s Arimidex, Femara, Aromasin. The latest schedule is also to stay on for a total of 10 years instead of 5 in total! I’ll stay on forever if need be

If you’re Er/pr negative, then your cancer is not driven by estrogen or progesterone so doesn’t generally get these medications (you may end up with chemo etc even at stage 1) but there’s also thE HER status to take into account as well (Herceptin etc)! This is why breast cancer has no cure …yet! Every persons is different and requires slightly different treatment. But, now, because of medication like Tamoxifen we have hope!

i also now have a list of supplements to avoid. For example, soy, as a supplement is a huge no, but we can eat soy as a whole food, eg tofu. Basically any and all supplements have to be checked by my oncology pharmacist. I also avoid lavender and tea tree oil as they too have slight estrogenic properties…on a good note, jack daniels is AOk! Lol

2 Likes

Good luck OP, now you can move forward.

I was dx’d last Feburary (2018) with stage 3/grade 3 IDS. Both the oncologist and surgeon wanted to do chemo first as it had spread to an armpit node and they wanted that reduced for a less invasive surgery. I was scheduled for 6 treatments, made it through 3 when the diarrhea and vomiting dehydrated me badly enough to land me in the ER/4 day stay in the hospital. Next up was a total mastectomy and once healed from that, radiation. I was P-, E+ and Her2+ so just finished up my year of herceptin. Now I’m on Arimidex. I am feeling well and am looking forward to summer

Also, the herceptin has been a game changer for breast cancer. I am incredibly grateful to those researchers who do the work to find ways to battle this disease.

3 Likes

Wonderful news!! I hope you to get to ride soon and I hope you have an awesome ride when you do!!!

I knew about the soy issues but I didn’t know about the lavender. Interesting.

I’ll raise a rum & coke with lime to your Jack. :slight_smile:

@Altermyne, it sounds like you had quite the ordeal. I’m glad you’re doing well now and I hope this summer is great for you too!

thank you rubygirl1968. I usually don’t post my health issues, but I wanted to make sure than anyone facing this frightening dx, knows that even if it seems grim…all can turn out ok. I was lucky in that I had all of my physicians advocate for me. My PCP advocated for the best breast surgeon in our area, the breast surgeon advocated for the best oncologist and he advocated for the best radiologist. Even with advanced breast cancer, it doesn’t have to be a done deal.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting…I posted about mine because I wanted to show the opposite…although it’s a scary diagnosis at first, sometimes it all works out and we walk away and realize the lessons we’ve learned along the way! I’ve learned that even though I “got off easy” to appreciate life in a whole different way! And, before I had no real understanding of why there’s no cure…I admire the people who’ve dedicated their lives to treating and making breakthroughs even more…the general public with the current fad of hating on “big pharma” have no idea of how these companies have saved so many lives!

4 Likes

I too found a lump in my breast roughly the end of September 2018. I had been a good girl and lost weight by eating right and working out, and happened to notice an obvious asymmetry between my left and right breast up higher in my chest. By the time I had it mammogramed and ultrasounded it was end of October. I was called back the next day for an urgent biopsy. I was told that day that it was likely cancer.
Mid November I was told that I had Grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma. On imaging from 2 weeks previous my tumor measured roughly 2.5cm by 2cm. By november 30 when I had it removed, the tumor that was removed was 4cm by 3cm and despite the removal of 6 cm of tissue, there was evidence of ductal carcinoma in situ in the farthest margins. The sentinel nodes that were removed showed micrometasteses, which made the oncologist concerned as to whether chemo should be something we need to strongly consider. They sent the tumor for oncotype testing in order to determine the risk of recurrence in 10 years without chemo.
Never one to underachieve… the onco score was 57 - meaning I had a 42 percent chance of recurrence in 10 years without chemo. I started chemo on Christmas eve, and will have my last chemo treatment on April 2. From there I will need further surgery to take out that leftover DCIS, and then follow up with radiation daily for 6 weeks. Tamoxifen will be a thing for me too - likely for the next 10 years.
I’m Grade 3, Stage 2b. ER +, PR-, HER2-.
The tumor grew shockingly quickly. Even tho chemo hasnt exactly been a walk in the park, I’m glad my team of physicians (who are AMAZING) are being as aggressive as they are. I’m also super happy to be in Ontario - my reconstruction will also be completely covered, as have all of my meds (through my employer benefits). I don’t have the energy to ride right now, but I will get back in the tack as soon as I can!

PS. I’m 44. There is no history off cancer in my family. We are all at risk simply because we are women and we have breasts. So check them regularly, and if you have history get screened. Mine moved faster than I could ever had imagined. Had I put it off for a few months I would have been in a much worse situation. If I can help one person from having to go through all of this… then it will all be worth it.

3 Likes

I think threads like this one, like the one about colorectal cancer, are very important for all to read.

We have to thank every one that brings those very serious health concerns to us.
The stories of what it entails for each individual are priceless.
We can’t ever know enough, so we can then do best we may ourselves.

Wishing everyone the best.

Thank you.

1 Like

@retired4now, thank you so much for all the detail you gave. I wish you the very best as you continue treatment.

Rebecca

1 Like