Breast MRI and Claustrophobia, advice appreciated.

The only way I can handle MRIs is with drugs AND a hand holder. I didn’t coach DH well on how to hold my hand the last time and he was not as good as the nurses previously: kept getting distracted and pulling on my hand and never did a reassuring squeeze.

I do math problems in my head as a distraction.

Thanks once again for all the tips and experiences you have all shared. It sounds like claustrophobia is something the staff operating these machines deals with fairly often. I am very hopeful, now, that we will all be able to get her over this hurdle. I have shown my DF this thread and it has helped her immensely to know she is not the only one who feels this way. Bless you all

I have experienced many imaging modalities.

My Breast MRIs were done laying down on a table with my breasts in two receptacles. There was no tube on the top side, no enclosure, except for the breast cups. The action was below the table

sort of like being at the beach :o

not knowing your friends issues has she heard of or been offered Digital Tomosynthesis? This is a 3D digital imaging done like a mammogram. It is very much indicated for dense breast tissues. after years of conventional mams, ultrasounds and a couple MRI, the Tomo is the way to go for mine.

Ultrasounds are helpful and do well with defining fluid filled cysts but are less helpful with solid

Having had many MRI’s and being claustrophobic, these are my tips. If she can’t take valium, see if she can take xanax, different class of drugs completely. I always (1) take a xanax; (2) use a sleep mask, keeping your eyes shut so you are not aware of your surroundings makes a huge difference; (3) music, lots of radiology facilities have headphones and you can play soothing music; and (4) I count down from 100 or 1000 depending how long i’m in there. I’ve some long MRI’s as long as 2 hours, but the scans are always in increments of 3 minutes or 4 minutes and I find just counting down when i get stressed somehow keeps me chilled out. Just tips from someone who’s had a lot of MRI’s and they help me!