Unlimited access >

Breast Reduction Recovery

Yes, I have muscle atrophy in my shoulders from bra straps. This was one of the major things they focused on during my consultation.

1 Like

@one1horse, do you have problems w your neck???

Thanks for your response! I point at the ground, too, and I have ever since I developed breasts. I grew so fast, I never seemed to go through the cute and perky stage.

Rebecca

2 Likes

Oh yeah. I loved going to the store with my mother and the checkers commenting on how ā€˜developedā€™ I was (at age 11)ā€¦NOT.

3 Likes

@goodhors, are there any brands you like especially well? Thank you.

Sure do. Sleeping is really challenging.

1 Like

Me, too. I canā€™t use a pillow.

Depends on what kind of surgery technique. I would plan for some differences, moreso the more extensive the type.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ll probably never do it, given that Iā€™m already old and Iā€™ve put up with them all these years. But it is always helpful to be informed, in case I do decide to.

Rebecca

1 Like

I am 6 weeks post op. I would highly recommend getting it done. The surgery is easy and the first 2 weeks are a breeze. Week 3 forward are annoying and uncomfortable. I was hoping to be riding at 6 weeks but I definitely donā€™t think I could get on right now. I did start doing chores again this week and I am working my way towards being in the saddle at least to walk.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on whatā€™s more uncomfortable from week 3 forward? Iā€™m considering a consultation.

1 Like

And could you share what made the first two weeks a breeze for you? I live by myself and have horses and dogsā€¦, Thank you!

If you live by yourself, I really donā€™t recommend it, not without help. For one, you arenā€™t supposed to drive for the first week, and definitely not on drugs. No lifting above your head, no stretching to grab something and no lifting over 10 lbs.

My surgery was on Monday. So six days post op. I have an exceptionally high pain tolerance (I once completed hours of navigation with a dislocated knee and fractured leg during training), and I found the first 24 hrs tough. I was able to wean off pain meds though within the first 36 hrs, and then it was mostly just annoying. Part of the issue was that I donā€™t think I was clear on when I could cycle in some OTC antiflammatories until I asked my MD SIL and she told.me right away. Took one Advil and I was pretty happy from that point on.

However, I want them to heal right. So while I am walking a lot, itā€™s at a slow pace not to jostle them, my spouse is taking care of the animals, cooking and cleaning, and I am trying my hardest not to do anything for the sake of independence. I also had side lipo which makes a difference.

I am so happy to have done it, but the recovery is challenging if you are independent, have no additional help and want them to heal correctly. Also the itching is the worst!

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate it.

Iā€™ve really appreciated everyoneā€™s insight and anecdotes. Itā€™s helped a lot to think about what might be helpful for me.

I had my pre-op appointment on Friday and they did not offer any suggestions for post-op bras, aside from getting sports bras that are front closing. Has anyone found ones they particularly liked?

1 Like

I had a double mastectomy, kind of a deluxe breast reduction. the 2 things that helped most w pain, and it really wasnā€™t bad, were lidoderm patches ( incase nerves got irritated) and ice. google mastectomy bras- they are quite gentle.

2 Likes

My PS has me just in constrictive tanks to not irritate scar lines, but I know that is uncommon. I have some long line soft sport bras that I have put on over top of the tank and gauze to help with compression while I sleep, and he has me wrap an ace bandage if I am going for a walk or gentle spin.

One of the best (and sometimes scariest) things I did was join some breast reduction support groups on Facebook. It helped me prepare for the surgery and manage expectations, and they have a ton of good tried and true examples of bras, pillows, pain management etc.

3 Likes

Mine was quite a while ago but I kind of forget what kind of bra was suggested for the immediate post-op period but there was one. My surgeon had me wear a compressive wrap over the bra for the 6 weeks. I also used it for a couple weeks after I started riding again.

It was like this. It has velcro down the front.

1 Like

Just wanted to follow up now that Iā€™m 5 days post op. Thank you again to everyone who offered insight and advice, I really appreciate it!!

My surgery was 3/21 and I honestly donā€™t think I could have asked for it to be any smoother. I feel pretty close to completely normal. Some tightness and restricted ROM for reaching/stretching, but otherwise I feel great. I think thatā€™s going to be the hardest part - reminding myself Iā€™m still healing and I still need to take things slowly.

If you are debating the surgery I strongly encourage you to go for it! My experience so far has been amazing and I just wish I had gotten it done sooner. Canā€™t wait to get back in the saddle and feel the difference!

9 Likes

I had a pretty major reduction done about 10 years ago.

Best thing I ever did for myself.

I stayed off my horse for 6 weeks. Heā€™s a good egg, but the surgeon warned me that following the restrictions all the way through was incredibly important for the best possible results. My trainer did keep him going for that time.

I actually had no issues getting my insurance to pay for it. I have letters from my massage therapist, chiropractor, plastic surgeon, and GP. But I also went from a 36K to to a 36C. Neck issues, shoulder issues, grooves, rashes, all of it.

It is important to ensure that your surgeon also does a lift - otherwise you can end up with a couple of deflated balloons. Mine was an anchor procedure. due to the sheer amount of tissue, the distance the nipple needed to move, and the areola redution necessary, the T procedure was not appropriate.

For what itā€™s worth, my back and neck are much better, and I had no issues with retaining feeling in the nipple.

3 Likes