Unlimited access >

Breast Reduction Surgery or Core Training?

Hi All,

After a few years of multiple skilled practitioners (osteopath, physiotherapist, massage, acupuncture), and some non-surprising diagnostic techniques (x-rays showed only minor narrowing, nothing of interest), my GP has scheduled me for a consult with a plastic surgeon for a breast reduction on account of chronic back pain.

I’m 31 and generally fit but apparently my core is not strong enough to handle The Ladies.

I pushed for an UT, steroid shot or MRI but no luck, she seemed to have valid reasons but who am I to judge?

One alternative suggested was that PERHAPS I may become comfortable if I strengthen my core with physio.
Before this, the physio goal had been treating the acute muscle spasms but not the chronic cause.

My questions for the wonderful COTH helpers:

• Has anyone had this surgery? Would they do it again? What was the recovery like?
  • Was PT suggested and for any who have successfully recovered from back pain via strengthening the core? If so: any tips?

Lastly, I know this is shallow, but I’m single and early 30s and I just don’t want to lose my breasts. My sister went through a double mastectomy due to BRCA gene mutation (I do not carry it) and I know what an emotional toll it can be. I know this is not even in the same ballpark, and I can still end up fairly well off in the boobies department, but part of me is worried I won’t be as attractive without them. Sigh.

X-rays of what? Minor narrowing of what? Muscle spasms of where? What is UT?

Be aware that you may have a lot of scarring after breast reduction. Also, breastfeeding can be difficult or impossible.

[QUOTE=beaujolais;8734005]
X-rays of what? Minor narrowing of what? Muscle spasms of where? What is UT?[/QUOTE]

X-rays of thoracic back showed a minor narrowing between vertebrae which doctor considered to be totally normal and nothing to be done about it. No bone spurs or old fractures.

Muscle spasms in mid-back, mostly right hand side, directly at bra strap ongoing since March 2015 (on and off, cycle frequency increasing). Can range from generic stiffness to massive spasms that have my screaming and locked up, unable to get up from the fetal position.

UT = ultrasound.

AKB, thank you, you’re confirming what my research has said. I had mistakenly assumed it would be similar scarring to a breast implant but is that ever wrong!
The breastfeeding is another thing. I wonder if it’s that you can’t even pump or just actual latching/breastfeeding is difficult.

More questions to add to my plastic surgeon consult list. Thank you, I’m glad I’m gathering them now rather than kicking myself for missing my chance to ask!

Would having a really supportive bra help? I know it’s helped me immeasurably.
My favorite is this one, it clips in front then another layer zips over the front. Very snug in a good way and my girls do not move!:

https://www.victoriassecret.com/victorias-secret-sport/front-close-bras/knockout-by-victoriarsquos-secret-front-close-sport-bra-victorias-secret-sport?ProductID=296279&CatalogueType=OLS

You can get other recommendations on The Horse Forum.

Would having a really supportive bra help? I know it’s helped me immeasurably.
My favorite is this one, it clips in front then another layer zips over the front. Very snug in a good way and my girls do not move!:

https://www.victoriassecret.com/victorias-secret-sport/front-close-bras/knockout-by-victoriarsquos-secret-front-close-sport-bra-victorias-secret-sport?ProductID=296279&CatalogueType=OLS

You can get other recommendations on The Horse Forum.

This forum was a lifesaver for me when I had my breast reduction done. I was 20 and absolutely miserable. I’m much more comfortable now that about 3/4 of my breast tissue is gone. It was so totally worth it.

My mother had a reduction done right before she hit 45. She went from a DD to a large C. Healing was rather simple, but she did have drainage bags for a couple days. (Process may have changed. This was 15 years ago.) But she was not in a lot of pain and resumed normal activities within a week or two. Healed fine, minimal scarring. She said she would choose this path again.

I’ve know several women who have had reductions, and I don’t think a single one has expressed ANY regret. I think it’s been a resounding HOW COME I DIDN’T DO THIS SOONER? and HOW DID I LIVE LIKE THAT FOR SO LONG? :lol:

Best of luck!

“The breastfeeding is another thing. I wonder if it’s that you can’t even pump or just actual latching/breastfeeding is difficult.”

It’s because some of your ducts get removed/cut through.

The ducts are cut, so many women do not produce enough milk, even if the baby has a good latch and suck.

Thank you guys all so much! I will be spending a lot of time on the recommended forums, just creeping through and listing my questions… :slight_smile:

Have you looked up Enell bras? They are very supportive.

If I had ongoing issues like you, I think I’d consider breast reduction surgery. I am not familiar with the complications, it’d be something to consider definitely.

Strengthening core and back would help, but would be be able to maintain this level throughout life?

I did it and I would absolutely do it again - easy recovery (no drainage bags) and very minimal scarring. But you are coming from a much different place - I always hated my boobs, they are better now that they are smaller © but I still wish they were even smaller & I never wanted kids so the breastfeeding wasn’t an issue. You won’t completely loose them but if you are happy now I would really consider your options and be sure you’ve tried everything else before going through it.

There have been several threads on this over the years. You might want to do a search. I had a partial mastectomy 6 years ago, and last year had a reduction on the other breast so they match. Wonderful. Now I feel normal.

[QUOTE=MontysGal;8733955]
…I can still end up fairly well off in the boobies department, but part of me is worried I won’t be as attractive without them. Sigh.[/QUOTE]
You may not be as attractive to people who are attracted to your boobs before they’re attracted to YOU. No great loss, IMHO.

I know several people, and have read comments by many who have had reductions and, like Simkie, not one has regretted it for a moment.

I have similar issues and spent many months with the PT for back pain and muscle spasms.

I finally said, “I’ve been thinking lately, I wonder how much by breasts have to do with this back pain?” She got very excited and said, “A lot!” Basically she said she can help me manage the pain and flare ups, but I’m still doing permanent damage to my back because of the extra weight.

We were planning for surgery this winter, but I’m losing my amazing insurance this summer. :cry:

This is what I found by talking to people. NO ONE regrets it. Most can’t believe it took them so long, and some wish they had gone smaller. Some people said the first couple days was very painful, but completely worth it. The first 3 months can also be challenging, but again, seems worth it in the long run. The scars are significant, but are not seen in shirts/bras/bathing suits. Hopefully future bfs will be understanding/won’t care once they get to that point. :smiley: My friend who had hers young said the scars were well faded after one year, but I’ve seen photos of obvious scars 1 year post op. It probably depends on how well your skin handles scars in general.

If you need insurance to cover it, you’ll need to meet their requirements for amount of tissue removed. For my insurance, it was 500gm per breast. I could have come down to a DD and still met the requirements, so it wasn’t a concern for me. If becoming too small is a concern for you, you can pay out of pocket and get whatever size you choose. Studies have shown that women have much less pain after small reduction surgeries too. That may be an option for you. I’ve read about some people telling their doctors, “Try to take out 500gm, but if that will put me under a C cup, take out less and I’ll pay out of pocket instead.”

Again, no first hand experience, but it’s something I am SO ready to do! Sure, I’m anxious, especially because I feel like my large breasts define me in some way, but I hope one day I can wake up without back pain!

Until then, get to a GOOD bra store. PrimaDonna, Panache, Freya, Empreinte, Fantasie are all good brands to start with. If they don’t sell some of these caughVictoriaSecretcaugh don’t bother. Get fitted, care for your bras really well, and replace them more often than you want to. It’s expensive, but it helps a lot. I prefer the Panache Sports Bras (hook the straps together for even more support) and purchase my size on ebay when I find them for cheap.

It is your choice whether or not you have the surgery. If, after talking to a plastic surgeon, you’re not convinced you want surgery, don’t have it. But don’t hesitate to consult with more than one surgeon. You want a really good surgeon who has done a lot of reductions, not just implants. You want a surgeon who you feel totally comfortable with and who will be there for you after surgery too.

You can end up with minimal scaring - it depends on whether or not you scar easily, what techniques your surgeon uses, and how well you take care of yourself after surgery. Do plan on quite a bit of down time and don’t believe the surgeon if he says you’ll be riding again soon.

I had had surgery five years ago. One of the best things I ever did but I’d wanted to do it for a long time. I’m so much more comfortable, I look so much better, and clothes fit better. Trust me, I’ve still got plenty up top. You don’t have to be reduced to nothing.

You don’t have to answer if you aren’t comfortable doing so, but how large are you and do you have a small frame or a large one?

check out breasthealthonline.org

I have no experiance really re the big boobs - i’m a c/d cup thankfully.

Having said that i’d be going down the strengthen the core route first no matter what. It will only help you while you are researching the breast reduction.

Suggest also having a good honest look at your weight and what kind of foods you consume ie hormone affected foods.

Hi all,

Great suggestions and thank you for taking the time to provide them to me!

I am going to the consult armed with good questions. One thing that has stuck out to me is the idea of breastfeeding, and breasts changing shape when/if I have kids. I’m 31 now, so realistically I’ll only be able to have kids for another ~ 8 years or so.
My current (tentative - pending further discussion with professionals and research) thought is to core strengthen and maintain but not cure until I’m around 40, then have surgery. If there comes a time before then that I am certain I won’t have kids - at this point it looks unlikely but not impossible - I will do it sooner.

To answer some questions, I do indeed have an INCREDIBLE sports bra, I think it’s Panache brand, it is U-G-L-Y but it does it’s job like an old schoolmaster: tiredly determined.
I also fell in love with the Empreinte brand. They are not cheap but they have lasted me a long time with daily wear and are the only ones that really seem to fit.

My current size is 30J, I’m 5’9" with a bit of a beer belly since late 20s, but otherwise reasonably proportioned.

Ongoing core strengthening and beer belly reduction, here I come!

PS: Luckily I am in Ontario so I get it covered under OHIP as I am experiencing back pain, so that’s one less hardship to making the decision.
On the other hand, it’s been a week and I still haven’t received my consultation appointment!