Unlimited access >

Breastplates??

I’m ruding a horse with high withers, and my saddle slides really far back! I’m thinking of purchasing a breastplate to help it stay in place! What should I get? 5 point, 3 point, sheepskin, elastic? What would hold my saddle securely and be comfortable on ma poneh? Thanks! I do show hunters/eq but only like 5 or 6 times a year and at small local shows so it’s not super important:)

Even with high withers, a properly fitted saddle shouldn’t be sliding “really far back.” Before you use a breastplate to hold it in place, make sure you won’t be creating a bigger issue (making your horse sore) by holding it in a spot where it just doesn’t work.

Since you’re showing hunters/eq, keep it simple. Look for a traditional breastplate with minimal buckles and NO sheepskin, 5-way attachments, etc.

[QUOTE=Melissa.Van Doren;7962467]
Even with high withers, a properly fitted saddle shouldn’t be sliding “really far back.” Before you use a breastplate to hold it in place, make sure you won’t be creating a bigger issue (making your horse sore) by holding it in a spot where it just doesn’t work.

Since you’re showing hunters/eq, keep it simple. Look for a traditional breastplate with minimal buckles and NO sheepskin, 5-way attachments, etc.[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. I have a breastplate, with elastic but cut like a traditional “hunting breastplate” but only use it because I event. Terrain, banks, etc can make even a well fitting saddle shift a bit, and it also functions as a bit of a grab strap. I’ll use it in jumpers sometimes, but when we go play in the hunters, she goes without, because in the ring, she doesn’t need it.

If your saddle is slipping, I’d look at addressing saddle fit first. Then look for a very traditional leather breastplate like this: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_Hunting_Breastplate_p/0060.htm

[QUOTE=![](elissa.Van Doren;7962467]

Since you’re showing hunters/eq, keep it simple. Look for a traditional breastplate with minimal buckles and NO sheepskin, 5-way attachments, etc.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah62/horselovelife/Crosby/26512A72-CA75-4790-9265-994B2EEA4ADB_zpsf2iekp90.jpg)

Here’s a pic of his back. This was a few months ago when I started my “program” haha, I’ve been doing a bunch of stuff to build up his nonexistent topline:) I’m out at barn tomorrow so I’ll take a newer picture. I had my saddle checked out by my trainer and the barn owner and it’s not pinching or sliding on him without a rider. But when I ride it slides about 6 inches back from his shoulder, if you flip through my photobucket gallery you can see:)

If you don’t want to go the breastplate route you might want to look at the Success Equestrian non slip pads. (I got mine through Smartpaks) It worked great for my Mare whos saddle would slide back some when jumping. I was also looking for a breastplate but happened across this and tried it first! They make a hunter pad and one for showing!