Breeches for the one and a half handed rider?!?! Revisited for winter post 79

Okay, as you probably know by now, I am disabled. I have both hands, but my left hand has very little function and almost no grip strength. I call it my half hand because it is often useless :wink:

So, here is my issueā€¦I need to start wearing pull on breeches. My hand has become significantly worse and I just canā€™t deal with zippers and snaps, etc. This is especially the case if I am wearing said breeches for a long period and may need a potty break!!

Which pulls on full seats have you all had the best luck with? I need every advantage possible, so I must have the full seats. If you guys have any sizing advice, I normally wear a size 28 tall. I am 5ā€™10" and long from my crotch to my waist. Are any of the pull ons that do not come in talls a possibility for someone my height?

I am thinking of FITS, but I am not sure if they come in talls. Are they stretchy enough to be long enough? I will have to save up for the FITS, so I will need more reasonably priced pull ons in the meantime.

Thanks for any and all help and advice :slight_smile:

I can offer you no advice on specific brands, but what I have found is that pull ups tend to be harder to pull up than those with zippers or snaps because the elastics in the waist band are tighter. You might have to go with a size or two bigger than you normally do. No doubt, it will be trial and error. I agree though about the full seats. They do provide that extra ā€œvelcroā€ effect. :wink:

I bought the Devon Aire knee patch pull ons last year and they have held up well. I know that they come in long and full seat for around $60-70. I would never show in them as I donā€™t think that they are that nice, but they are perfect for schooling in. I should think they would be a good option until you get the FITS.

I have a pair of RTS breeches that I got from Dressage Extensions. They are not pull on, but they have a hook instead of a snap, and the zipper is in backwards like menā€™s breeches, so you could zip them with your right hand easily. This might be an option if the pull-on breeches are hard to get on as some have said.

Thanks

You guys are awesome!!! I appreciate all the advice. Please keep the ideas coming :slight_smile:

Equissentials are comfortable pull ons and they have a comfortable wide waist band rather than tight elastic.

FITS pull-ons are great, as are Tropical Riders. You have plenty of options!

I second the Tropical Riders-very easy to pull on because they are super stretchy, and not tight in the waist once the are on!

[QUOTE=egontoast;4310583]
Equissentials are comfortable pull ons and they have a comfortable wide waist band rather than tight elastic.[/QUOTE]

I second these, and you can get them in custom sizes (no additional charge), so if you need a higher rise you can get them. Here is there site http://www.equissentials.net/

Iā€™ve had the devonaires and found that they seemed bigger, rather than smaller.

I am wearing a pair of Ariat pullons now, and my guess is that the Ariats are better for your build, judging by how they fit me.

I am squirreling away this infoā€¦more fodder for our forum.

Iā€™m sadly not as slim as you are, but I am the same height and also have a long rise. I have two pair of Klaus Krehan ā€œLauraā€ breeches that I adore. They are pull on and are great for summer riding - theyā€™re my coolest breeches by far. I am keeping my eyes peeled for more.

Try the Kerrits pull on full seats- I donā€™t know if they come in tall, but the regulars are far longer than any other regular breeches Iā€™ve tried. I have a bunch of pairs and I love them!

i think the FITS would be good choice for youā€”they run very long, imo. thereā€™s also a pull-on breek that has a faux button/zipper in the front and belt loops so they look like regular breeches. maybe irideon? iā€™m sorry, i canā€™t remember the brand.

I am 5ā€™8.5" about 115 lbs, normally wear a 26L-28L. I have the size small sit tight Kerrits breeches that I love. I used to be a breech snob, and had Cavallos, but I love these. Although they may have changed their sizing scheme because a friend of mine got some smalls and she is about my size, but they are way too big on her. So I dunno. They donā€™t come in talls, but thats what long socks and dress boots are for. :slight_smile:

I love FITSā€¦but they are not easy to get on and off. I third Equissentials, they have a great product (french terry???) that is not as form fitting as the FITS and do semi custom for a reasonable price.

Kerrits, IMO, are short in the rise. I have several pair, and theyā€™re OK, but do not care for the waistband/rise on them.

FITS and Equissentials are my favorites.

[QUOTE=Invite;4310424]
Okay, as you probably know by now, I am disabled. I have both hands, but my left hand has very little function and almost no grip strength. I call it my half hand because it is often useless :wink:

So, here is my issueā€¦I need to start wearing pull on breeches. My hand has become significantly worse and I just canā€™t deal with zippers and snaps, etc. This is especially the case if I am wearing said breeches for a long period and may need a potty break!!

Which pulls on full seats have you all had the best luck with? I need every advantage possible, so I must have the full seats. If you guys have any sizing advice, I normally wear a size 28 tall. I am 5ā€™10" and long from my crotch to my waist. Are any of the pull ons that do not come in talls a possibility for someone my height?

I am thinking of FITS, but I am not sure if they come in talls. Are they stretchy enough to be long enough? I will have to save up for the FITS, so I will need more reasonably priced pull ons in the meantime.

Thanks for any and all help and advice :)[/QUOTE]

yeap know how you feel matey-- answer velcro get someone to change the zipper for velcro - then its easy peasey to do them up

Velcro

The velcro idea is great, but I have a HUGE fear of coming un-velcroed and showing my undies to the world!

Thanks for all the ideas. I appreciate each and every one. Itā€™s really hard to try on a bunch of breeches in a fitting room. I need a larger area :wink: I also donā€™t want to have to order things and have to keep sending them backā€¦ugh, shipping charges!!!

You guys are great :slight_smile:

chamois butter

Iā€™ve been in Phoenix, at a conference with my daughter, Whitney. She suggested ā€œChamois Butterā€ as a skin chafing barrier. I read her tube of it and it also can be used for softening the chamois of the triathon shorts. She likes it better than the bodyglide. She is a highly certified strength and conditioning coach, now getting her PhD in sports psychology.

I thought it might be good if one of us trialed it with the full seat breeches. (I donā€™t wear full seat, so anyone game?)

[QUOTE=whicker;4312836]
Iā€™ve been in Phoenix, at a conference with my daughter, Whitney. She suggested ā€œChamois Butterā€ as a skin chafing barrier. I read her tube of it and it also can be used for softening the chamois of the triathon shorts. She likes it better than the bodyglide. She is a highly certified strength and conditioning coach, now getting her PhD in sports psychology.

I thought it might be good if one of us trialed it with the full seat breeches. (I donā€™t wear full seat, so anyone game?)[/QUOTE]

Robin,
Where does one get ā€œChamois Butterā€? My boy is lame right now, so I will have to wait to try it, but Iā€™m game!!! I suppose one doesnā€™t chafe much at the walkā€¦hmmmmā€¦maybe I am not worthy of being the Chamois Guinea Pig!!!