Unlimited access >

Breeding Advise- Diamant de Semilly, Diarado, Diatendro, Connect, Berlin, Cornet etc

Looking for breeding advise from people who have experience with these stallions!

My mares:
Contessa Luna- 4 years old by Conte della Caccia (Canturo x Corrado I) x Silvio I x Dynamo
*Her mother was a 1.50m jumper, contender for Canadian team before injury
*Sire Conte competes at international level with Martin Fuchs
Conformation: Very delicate, sporty, smallish (15.3hh, though still growing), long back
Movement: Exceptional! Big stride for her size, seems to float
Jump: (free jumping) Very ‘correct’, tight knees, flowy back end. For me, I would prefer more ‘snap’ and ‘pop’ off the ground. Perhaps lacking top scope but hard to tell… floats over jumps easily though doesn’t do more effort than is required. We free jumped her up to 1.20m and she jumped it the exact same as the starting x-rail.
Type: Beautifully personable but very sensitive and reactive. Man did this girl ever BUCK with her first saddle on!! Showed her athleticism at least :wink:

Sweet Carma- 8 years old by Camelot (Contender I x Raphael) x Silvio I x Dynamo (to our dismay Carma obtain a pasture injury as a three year old and has only been broodmare sound since)
*Same dam as Contessa Luna
*Sire Camelot was approved in Europe then imported to Canada by the Van den Bosch family (known for their eye in horse talent). Sadly he was gelded after only one foal crop due to his semen being of poor quality.
Conformation: Again, small (15.3hh), but strong foundation body type, nice back, uphill build.
Movement: Good, but not spectacular. Area could be improved.
Jump: (From small free jump as a two year old) Very nice, and very similar to her mother. Very careful, clears even smallest jump by a mile, snappy front end and fantastic unhinging hind end. Perhaps lacking scope but again hard to tell from how little we jumped her.
Previous foals: 2012 Bosch Blue (Cantos x Mr.Blue)- very VERY correct colt, impeccable confirmation. Small- 15.3hh (I swear I have the curse of 15.3 at this point!! lol) Uphill build and natural uphill movement. Trot is so/so, Gallop is a dream- big strided. Carries his own energy, but not ‘hot’ per say. Snappy front end, doesn’t finish the most spectacular behind but good enough. Going to be a fantastic Jr/Am 1.30ish mount. 2014 Adaere to Dream (Rio Negro x unknown) This was a mistake breeding (my grandfather’s stud got out), however Carma has managed to produce another very nice colt. Again, impeccable conformation. Movement would be scored a 10/10 in the hunter world… From his sire’s side, movement and temperament I think this colt is destined for the hunters.

SO things I will be looking for in a stallion for both mares: SIZE (Sunshine- the dam of both mares - was not a small mare however all of her foals (we have 4 fillies from her) have ended up on the small side.), SCOPE, POWER

Specifically Luna: A stallion with a little more ‘fire’ at the jump and in their movement. Perhaps less reactive in temperament but I’m not going to be very particular about that

Specifically Carma: Improved elasticity in movement. Looking for big strided studs but with similar uphill frame as mare.

My thoughts on the stallions:

Diamant de Semilly- It is without a doubt that he is a top producer. However my thoughts are- what mares suit him best? I’m just not sure if mine are a ‘match’

Diarado- My Favourite All Time Stallion EVER. As a rider, I prefer a sporty model with uphill movement and an elastic jump like Diarado himself and many Diarado offspring I have seen. HOWEVER it is known he produces smaller horses, which makes me wary of pairing him with my already-on-the-smaller-side bloodline. Which leads me to…

Diatendro- A diarado son. Unproven as a sire however as a sport horse he is very like his sire. He is also 17hh.

Connect- Another young unproven sire. There is just ‘something’ about this stud that makes me think he is going to be a superstar. I’m of a mind to pair him with Sweet Carma.

Berlin- He has proven twice already to pair well with my bloodlines. First, our foundation mare Sunshine with Berlin made a TOP quality mare who is well on her way to turning some heads in the show ring. Second, we have a spectacular 2 yr old stallion prospect from a Sunshine daughter by Watch Out (Balou du Rouet x Indoctro). I’m thinking he would be a good match again for Luna - in fact I KNOW it -however my mind is telling me to try something new for once! haha :wink:

Cornet Obolensky- Thoughts??? I’m really not sure what to think about this stallion. He has produced some top horses for sure and I loved to watch him compete however I really don’t know what to think about what he produces as it’s kind of inconsistent. Plus I have heard his semen is so-so.

Van Gogh- ??? Says that his progeny are known for their ‘appealing types, good movement, ridability and excellent jumping skills’

I’m open to other stallions for consideration as well!!

Thanks and I appreciate your input!