Unlimited access >

Breeding Cartani x Landgraf mare

I have a Cartani x Landgraf mare that is like to breed and was asking for suggestions…she was a successful 1.40m horse. She has a fantastic front end but needs more scope and a hind end. She’s quick and careful. She trails her hind end and doesn’t open up. I would like the stallion to have super scope and jump with a very high hind end. I am considering Armitages Boy or even Armitage, or Halifax, Vegabond de la pomme? Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!!

Hi Indecisive - Do you have her full pedigree and/or passport? Many on this forum will be able to give better suggestions with that additional but critical information. Photos/video would help, too. Also, is the mare a maiden? Do you know if she is breeding sound (you do not mention her age) or has any special breeding requirements as this might impact people’s advice. What is your plan and goal for the horse produced - ie is it going to be for sale (or not), a top jumper or an ammy friendly 130 horse, what breed registry etc etc.

A great way to get started is to use one of the online databases like Hippomundo or Horsetelex and see what crosses have been successful in her close motherline.

Best wishes - breeding can be tough business!