Unlimited access >

Breeding of the WEG event horses

The site gives the registries and breeding of all the starters. It’s really interesting. We are all TB; the New Zealanders are mostly TB; the Aussies and Brits have lots of Irish horses. The Germans are all WBs, but 2–one ISH and one TB. I forget what the French are riding, but they aren’t TBs.

Will be fun to see how all the TBs in the competition fare against all the others. Of course most of the others are half TB, but still…

Cavalier Royale has alot of TB blood

A couple of the ISHs on the various teams are by Cavalier Royale, so they would not be ISHs in the traditional sense of a TB/ID cross. Cavalier Royale was a Holstiener.

I think you mean “not be ISHs in the NORTH AMERICAN sense of a TB/ID cross.”

The IRISH sense is much wider.

Nevermind:)

edited

Interesting event breeding factoid–
A German, who is riding as an individual, finished 9th (or thereabouts) today on a horse called Sindy 43. Sindy 43 is a Baden/Wuertenberg (sp), whose sire is a TB named “Stan The Man”. Stan has another very famous eventing son in Shear L’eau.

Wonder if he’s still making babies? I’d say two international caliber event horses at the same time should make him a better than average bet for eventing babies.

make that three…

[QUOTE=vineyridge;1839626]
I’d say two international caliber event horses at the same time should make him a better than average bet for eventing babies.[/QUOTE]

He has at least one more…Leslie Law’s other grey 4-Star horse, Shear H20, was also by Stan the Man.

Glengarrick-- wow! 20 years young and still kicking butt! Any comments about his breeding and his durability?

No,that wasn’t what I meant.

A 15/16 TB with 1/16 unknown (but born and bred in Ireland) is an ISH in the Irish sense, but not the North American sense (which requires a specific percentage of RID).

A TB x Connemara (born and bred in Ireland) is an ISH in the Irish sense, but not the North American sense.

I do agree that “TB x German warmblood” is not a traditional ISH.

I was disagreeing that “traditional ISH” = “TB x ID”, though that is by far the most common cross.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;1839626]
Interesting event breeding factoid–
A German, who is riding as an individual, finished 9th (or thereabouts) today on a horse called Sindy 43. Sindy 43 is a Baden/Wuertenberg (sp), whose sire is a TB named “Stan The Man”. Stan has another very famous eventing son in Shear L’eau.

Wonder if he’s still making babies? I’d say two international caliber event horses at the same time should make him a better than average bet for eventing babies.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Stan the Man is dead…but has produced quite a few very good 3day eventing horses in Germany. there is also a licensed son with the Trakehner and one for Würtenberg.

Sindy is owned by a lady who has arranged that one of my foals was bought by her trainer in 2003. And who has bought this year a foal by jumper Converter of my friends.
She spotted Sindy as 3 or 4 year old and bought her. She has also picked some other horses: A stallion that was later licensed by De Niro who is competing at level 3 on the way to 4 at the age of 7. She has another horse doing 3 days that finished 2nd or 3rd in the Bundeschampionat for 3 day eventing horses (the German championship for yong horses) last year and another one I believe that has qualified this year already. A good eye and she is no pro and doing that for fun ! I hope she had an as good eye with with my foal 3 years ago and the one she bought this year from my friends. I am keeping my fingers crossed. She is a very nice lady.

Don’t forget that during the 60’s - 80’s, the Europeans came here to Ireland and took home the best Irish mares - TB and RID… Doesn’t always show up on their papers, however!!

I absolutely love my ISHs - they are smart, tough (except when I tell them they are going to be sold - then they go lame…), easy to work around, and FUN to ride. Most of them are 15/16ths TB… :slight_smile: