Unlimited access >

Breeding suggestion OTTB mare

If anyone ever questions why the U.S. has so many low quality horses in need of good homes, here’s your answer:

So if you wish to breed your mare, you are free to do so. It’s a free country, you can choose whatever stallion you wish, keep your costs in line with what you can afford, and explore the theories of breeding, raising and training horses that interest you.

Why people don’t understand that this mentality is what increases odds of a “flop” as OP his/herself referenced, I will never understand.

. Selecting a stallion based on price is a very bad idea.

This should have read “solely” on price. When someone only wants to spend $500 on a stud fee, that leaves no room for the more important considerations.

The goal of any breeding should be a quality horse that could easily be marketed into a good home if or when the breeder needs to sell.

According to that poster’s philosophy, selling ‘culls’ for meat is no big deal, so… :rolleyes:

I should think a $1500 would be reasonable stud fee for any proven sport horse worth breeding to. I don’t like the idea of a young horse starting off life literally only being worth the weight of his carcass.