Unlimited access >

Brenderup

Hi guys
I’m new here but have been reading the forum for some time. I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am looking to get a lightweight trailer to tow my horse around town. I found a Brenderup Solo for a semi decent price and am going to look at it this weekend but I’m wondering if anybody with a Brenderup can tell me how difficult maintenance and parts replacement has become now that they are no longer sold in the US? Can any trailer repair shop work on them (repair floors, ramps, roof, etc) if something comes up or am I just out of luck now?

Getting a new tow vehicle is not an option for another two years so it’s either a Brenderup or possibly looking at Maverick trailers with a 2600# weight. My Jeep is rated to tow 6500# and a Maverick (or similar weight trailer) plus my horse would weigh under 4000#. I read on here when hauling horses to keep it below 80% of your vehicles tow capacity and 4000# is well below that. Thanks for any input!

How old is the Brenderup? The biggest thing seems to be replacing wood floors on those models that pre-date the newer floors, which are something that doesn’t rot. I have a 2010, and there’s nothing in it that rots.

get a Boeckmann…

It’s a 2008. Seller claims its in brand new condition, I’ll have to see it to be sure. They said it was manufactured in Denmark and shipped here and they’ve never used it. Will have to get more details when I meet with them Sunday.

Would love to be able to afford a Boeckmann but if I had that kind of money I’d buy a new tow vehicle and not need a super expensive European design trailer :stuck_out_tongue:

With the current Exchange rate, Böckmann is a lot more affordable at this moment they were previously. :wink: The primary distributor is in Ontario (Maple Lane).

That said, the seller’s description, if accurate, indicates that you’ll likely have little to do and maintaining the Brenderup trailer isn’t going to be arduous.

If I could find one used in the states I’d be totally open to it. Unfortunately the only used one I’ve ever seen was $17,000 and in Canada, which as I said before would buy me a decent tow rig and an American trailer. If you know of one for under $10,000 around California I’d love to see it.

I’m crossing my fingers this Brenderup has been properly stored for the last 8 years. Any ideas when Brenderup switched to the new floors that don’t rot? I couldn’t find that info anywhere.

I have a 2004 that is currently in Virginia getting a new floor and ramp…so it can be done if you do get one with a bad floor. They are such great trailers for SUVS that it’s probably worth taking the risk. A 2010 is pretty new as well. Mine just got this issue a few months ago and I did not remove floor mats and left the windows open many times.

I looked at Boeckmann rcecently - they’re lovely trailers, but the only two dealers are on the east coast of N. America. The quote for delivery was $5400 to Nevada, which was the closest they’d deliver. So I’d still have to drive 5-6 hours each way to pick it up. All-in, it adds around $6k to the price of the trailer.

The doesn’t sound right for the shipping, SB…it should’t be more than $500-600 or so…similar to shipping a vehicle.

I went to Canada to get my Boeckmann. It was a really nice trip. They are next to a little touristy town. I live five hours away, so it wasn’t too bad. But it would totally be worth the road trip, even if I lived out West. Just be warned, my 24MPG on the highway vehicle only gets about 16 MPG when towing…

As far as the B’up goes… I’d think in CA without all the road salt, etc the chances of it being in good condition are really good. They are marvelous little machines. I know somebody who has one and she takes it everywhere with her minivan and it’s really light and inviting and her horse loves it.

People have done a lot of different things to replace the floors. Many trailer places will deal with this. You can get parts mailed from a place in NH, or you can buy them direct from Brenderup.

I ended up buying it. It is actually brand new as advertised. A horse has never even set foot in the trailer. I’m so excited to be a new Brenderup owner!!! The only “issue” was a tiny bit of rust around some of the bolts underneath and we cleaned those up and sealed them and now it’s ready to go. Towing it around you don’t even know it’s back there. Now to try to load the horse!

[QUOTE=Jim_in_PA;8603961]
The doesn’t sound right for the shipping, SB…it should’t be more than $500-600 or so…similar to shipping a vehicle.[/QUOTE]

My jaw hit the ground, too, but I checked with both dealerships and that’s the correct quote.

From their email to me:
“We’ve checked into shipping to the west coast and with shippers we know and trust with our trailers, the estimates have been coming in around $5000 to $5500 to a point near the California/Nevada border (many commercial trucks do not meet CA emissions standards). Unfortunately, most folks find that freight cost to be prohibitive. Trailers are too large to fit on the 10-car auto haulers, so they have to be hauled 3-4 at a time on a specialized trailer or on their own wheels.”

OP…congrats!!

SB, for that kind of shipping cost, it would be less costly to just take a driving vacation and pick it up! Wow.

Congrats on your shiny “new” B-up! sounds like you got a great deal.

I love my '99 B-up Baron. I did have to replace its floor last year – water damage probably due to years of rain getting in past the shrinkage of the weatherstripping around the doors. So, keep an eye on that, and replace them sooner rather than later if you spot a gap between the door latches and the w-strip.

[QUOTE=Mnlooney22;8604098]
I ended up buying it. It is actually brand new as advertised. A horse has never even set foot in the trailer. I’m so excited to be a new Brenderup owner!!! The only “issue” was a tiny bit of rust around some of the bolts underneath and we cleaned those up and sealed them and now it’s ready to go. Towing it around you don’t even know it’s back there. Now to try to load the horse![/QUOTE]

Congratulations! I am determined not to have a truck and my Brenderup has been all over the US with all different vehicles. It’s so easy to drive and I am a weak 98 lbs and can hook it up with ease. You will love it!