Broken leg....

[QUOTE=KateandKc;4511829]

Barn friends are somewhat condescending about me not wanting to jump and possibly switching to another discipline. Lots of “Well, lots of people fall off” and “You’ve just got to get over the fear”. Its not even that I’m scared, I wasn’t having fun jumping before this fall…I can’t imagine it will be any better afterwards. At least trainer is taking me seriously (from what I can tell). [/QUOTE]

That seriously annoys me when people say things like that.

I used to do dressage, eventing and jumping. I took a really nasty fall while jumping - the horse’s feet went out from under him on takeoff, and he and the jump landed on top of me. It was lights out - for a couple hours. Smashed my helmet to smithereens. If the ground had not been soft, I would have been completely crushed through my torso and killed. As it was, the ground sunk and I was protected. No broken bones. Extremely fortunate. But, I have complete loss of memory to this day and still have brain-related repercussions to this day that I have learned to compensate and deal with.

But the point is, I could no longer jump after this. Simply put, another major bash to the head could possibly be the end for me. So, I switched purely to dressage. Yes you can still fall riding in dressage, but the likelihood of a really serious body-smashing fall is much, much less likely than jumping or eventing.

Don’t allow anyone to pressure you into doing something you are not sure your body can handle.

A break in 4 places - what a serious injury! You are so lucky you did not bleed out! This will indeed take a very, very long time to heal and not just the bones, but also the ligaments and tendons that were stretched all to wack - and these are what will take the longest actually.

I need to ask: Have you had your bone density tested? You stated it was a “wussy” fall… I don’t know how old you are, but if you have poor mineral densities in your bones, it could contribute to serious breaks. Although that being said, an awkward angle can cause all kinds of crazy things to happen. I watched a hockey player slide relatively gently into the board, seemingly a situation that would result in little consequence, until we watched in horrified silence as his leg ribboned into positions that no leg is supposed to be in. He was out for a year and it was 2 years before he was fully right.

Something that will help your bones in this serious time of healing and remodeling is upping your intake of vitamin A, C, D, magnesium, phosphorous and calcium. Usually, an “osteoporosis” multi-vitamin is a good one to take.

I would say, let’s set your first goal to be walking again with progressive improvement in the stiffness and pain. When you’re allowed to, go to physical therapy religiously and do all the mobility exercises at home without fail. They might hurt, but you must train the joints, ligaments, and tendons mobility again. For the first 4 months walking after the cast is off, be very careful as your bones will be soft from lack of use and prone to refracture.

Mostly, take care of your body and only do what you are comfortable with doing! :slight_smile: Take care and keep your chin up. One day at a time! You’ll get through this!

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ve decided to just avoid the people that annoy me and say comments like that. Its just not worth the effort to try to be nice at this point.

I’m 27, bone density is fine (checked it a few years ago at a local health fair).

Hope you are doing okay!

I fractured my ankle in 3 places on the 1st of August, had surgery the 6th. 6 weeks in cast, 6 weeks in removable cast - and now sort of gimping along, swimming when I can. I’m not in a place to ride currently - I’m a vet student, but just can’t wait to be STABLE and FUNCTIONALLY SOUND!

I too worry about the fear, as it’s always been something I’ve dealt with, but I guess I will never know until I am there. I have been doing low level hunters, but we’ll see what the future holds.

[QUOTE=SillyFilly;4574198]
Hope you are doing okay!

I fractured my ankle in 3 places on the 1st of August, had surgery the 6th. 6 weeks in cast, 6 weeks in removable cast - and now sort of gimping along, swimming when I can. I’m not in a place to ride currently - I’m a vet student, but just can’t wait to be STABLE and FUNCTIONALLY SOUND!

I too worry about the fear, as it’s always been something I’ve dealt with, but I guess I will never know until I am there. I have been doing low level hunters, but we’ll see what the future holds.[/QUOTE]

Thats not encouraging that you’re still gimping along. :frowning: I’m into a walking cast now and am weight bearing as tolerated. I can handle every other day with no crutches. Still out of work, hoping to go back for a few 4 hr shifts a week starting in January (I’m an RN, usually work 12 hr shifts). The surgeon kinda laughed when I asked about getting back to work 12 hr shifts…asked how my work felt about me doing 8 hr shifts from now on. :lol: I still have another 4 weeks in the walking cast, then I go to an ankle brace/air cast for another 2 months or so.

My fractures healed well after surgery. Tibia is completely healed, just a tiny fracture line still visible on the fibula. The biggest part now is healing all the tendons and ligaments. Apparantly the ankle was also severely dislocated (ankle joint was out of place, then the tibia and fibula were both pointing in opposite directions). The ER xrays were crazy, I hadn’t seen them until a week ago.

I hope your ankle is more stable soon. Its so hard to get ROM back into the joint, and I had a removable cast after my 2 week post-op appt. Wasn’t able to put any weight on the foot, but at least I could start moving my ankle and foot some.

Good luck with vet school. :slight_smile:

ankle never healed

I also broke my ankle in a very simple fall, held on to the horses neck put my foot down and it twisted on the wet grass. Now I am a ankle expert and if you want I can refer you to the best ankle surgeons on the east coast. I have learned that the ankle is the most complex joint in our body. Don’t let them fuse it or try a joint replacement as they don’t work.
My bone never healed as the blood supply to the bone was cut off and never healed. So basically I ride with a broken ankle.
I have given up on trotting horses because posting was painful and the ankle just wasn’t going to hold up to that stress. I now ride gaited horses and can ride all day. I have a fox trotter that works like any western horse. I have a big TWH that does almost anything a trotting horse can do and I have a friend who has a gaited barrel horse!
I understand you love to jump and I don’t think a gaited horse will be safe for big jumps but may be fine for 3’ or smaller. As always its the difficulty of finding the right horse.
For all of you struggling with disabilities a gaited horse can make riding less painful,safer and more fun. They even do dressage!
My friend rides a huge 18 hand warmblood and we trail ride together with my 15 hand MFT. Yes we match up, I gait and she trots and we fly like a matched pair. So much fun.

Hwo does a MFT move?

Walker.

I can’t handle lateral gaits. for example, pacing is awful. My neighbors have kentucky mountain horses, and I can’t take more than about 4 steps and my back is zapped.

I do have a friend whose sister has MFTs, so I could ask to try one. I just haven’t after the KMH experience.

Thanks!