Broken Pelvis And Healing Time Frame

In October I was at a show and my horse misjudged the jump and landed in the middle of the jump. I had no time to react so I slammed into the ground breaking the Superior and Inferior Ramus of my pelvis. It’s been 5 months and I still haven’t been cleared to ride.

I was lucky in that I didn’t need surgery but was told it may take a long time to heal. Has anyone experienced this kind of injury and how long was it before you could ride again?

It all depends on you. Your break, its location, your healing.

Grand daughter (5yo) broke her arm ( humerus, No cast, just wrapped) 3 weeks later, all healed and she’s running around again.

The saddle may put a lot of pressure on your pelvis. A buck could easily force the saddle pommel or waist up, breaking your pelvis again.

Trust your Dr’s advice & judgement.

1 Like

Bones take a full year to completely heal from a break. If you saw an X-ray of your pelvis now you’d still see the lines of the breaks as much less dense than the rest of the bone. They probably are not afraid of you riding, but of a fall.

Also doctors can be cautious, so ask what the issue is. Can you do other activities? If it is falling, then maybe you could be cleared to do quiet trails at the walk, but if it does have to do with the stresses of the bones you might have to keep waiting. I always ask why and the doctors are glad to have the conversation. And ask yourself if you can live with the consequences of a mishap. is a ride now worth prolonging the recovery.

You’ll get there!

1 Like

Ouch :frowning:

If you haven’t healed after five months, there may be some instability that is preventing the bone from forming a callus. I am certainly not an expert, but surgical fixation may be necessary to get that to heal. Have you gone looking for a second opinion?