Broken ribs

I broke two ribs in a fall last week, and am wondering what others have experienced as far as healing. One Dr told me 6 weeks, another told me it would take months to heal. I’m hoping to be back in the saddle as soon as possible.

Anyone have an opinion?

Probably depends on the individual way you broke them, but when I broke 3 ribs, I was back in the saddle a week and a half later. It hurt most to mount and dismount. Riding itself wasn’t much worse than general except in those two activities. I did have a rib belt on, which did help.

By far the worst moment of each day, and unfortunately unavoidable, was getting out of bed. :sadsmile: Close second goes to coughing.

Within 6 weeks, I was no longer aware of them all the time and doing things pretty well, but I’d still get a sharp twinge at moments if I moved wrong. Several months to not having any pain at all from them.

Good luck.

Just Jingles for you ~ hope you are feeling better soon.

Simple…

Standard fare for fracture is 6 or so weeks to “stabilize”.

Then comes the “reconditioning” …getting used to activity, deep breathing, coughing ,etc…

That can take several months…barring any reinjury.

Regards,
Medical Mike
equestrian medical researcher
www.equicision.com

The “reconditioning” stage has now lasted 10 weeks beyond the initial 6 week healing period for me. My ribs are sore after bending or stretching or lying flat during the day. I’m having my ortho look at my original xrays and possibly taking a shot of my scapula as it is still agonizingly sore during PT for my shoulder. My PT thinks it might have been cracked or chipped during my initial injury and not seen on any films…

The last time I broke ribs, I broke three all on my left side front, side and back. I rode like that for three days till the pain was unbearable. I was back in the saddle in 4 weeks. I don’t think I have ever had a fracture (knock on wood) that has taken longer than 4 weeks to heal. Seems I heal well. I am well practiced too… :wink:
Take the meds. Enjoy them.
Don’t breathe deep, laugh, cough, sneeze, move wrong, sleep wrong. I always up my calcium intake when fractured. I try to do it before an incident, but I seem to not be as consistant as I ought to be when there isn’t “need.”

when I broke my ribs five years ago or so, I ignored them and punctured my lung.

not fun.

take care of yourself.

getting back in the saddle quickly is not always the best thing to do.

I broke a rib in April, and I was back riding within three weeks. I actually did an event six weeks post injury, and felt totally fine. I did take a lot of calcium and sleep a lot the first week, but after the first ten days it wasn’t very painful.