Broken talus bone, crutches for 8 weeks - any tips?

True! Your foot will likely be both weak and swollen, and when a friend turns up to take you out for lunch in a freak snowfall you will end up wearing big wool ski socks inside your most adjustable comfort sandals. And hobbling.

Also the first time you look at a down elevator you w ll freeze in panic, which foot goes first? Then bolt for the elevator.

I know you’ve been using the knee scooter, but for anyone just reading through this now - I did 12 weeks non-weight bearing on a reconstructed knee, so a knee scooter was obviously a no-go. Maybe I’m freakishly strong, but I had no issues with crutches, including working in guest services at a hotel.

Where I think newbies go wrong with crutches is they either aren’t strong enough or were never taught to not use the top of the crutch as a weight bearing surface under motion. You need to use your arms with the top of the crutch as a resting place or a balance saver.

So sorry for your injury! I broke my Tibia last year in a fall and was on crutches for 10 weeks. It’s definitely no fun.
If you have any stairs you need to navigate I suggest ‘butt scooting’ up and down then using your good leg to push up. It’s not very fast but it’s a lot safer then trying to crutch up them.

Thanks all! I’ve started physio (for range of motion, as I’m still non weight-bearing), which will hopefully help with the tight tendons/muscles. The surgeon told me I will be on a progressive return to weight-bearing program, aka will only be allowed to put partial weight on the foot.

I’m going to New York for a night in a few weeks, as I had theatre tickets I wasn’t willing to miss out on. Fingers crossed it goes well!

Just splurge on a taxi in NYC. The subway system old and can involve long walks underground. It was cobbled together out of half a dozen competing subterranean railway lines from the 19th century. Sometimes you have to walk blocks underground. Not like the Toronto subway at all.

1 Like

Officially back on two feet (with one still in the walking cast)…but it’s progress. The surgeon says no riding for a year, which isn’t ideal, but doable (with some exceptions for my retiree).