Broken Vertebrae-will point 2 pro air vest help?

Has anyone ridden in the Pro Air vest now on the Smartpak and Dover websites? It’s like an airbag for your back and neck-- I’m one of us who’s recovering from fractured vertebrae… They cost around $700. I’m being positive that I’ll be riding again- and if this thing works it’d be worth every penny to potentially prevent another back injury. Please let me know if any of you have any experience or know anything about this! Thanks!:smiley:

The eventing froum currently has a loonngg thread about it. I am curious about it, too.
If I understand that thread correctly, one still has to have another safety vest on underneath it.

I don’t think it will help if you hit a seatbone, which is what I did. It also deflates quickly, so if there is a horse rolling over on you a moment later, you would need the other vest as well.

I haven’t seen anything on any of the threads about being trained to fall like a vaulter. You push off from the horse and tuck and roll to dissipate the G forces. Think somersault and roll. It helps with the forward falls and sometimes the lateral ones.

I had the same fracture in the same way! seems like it’d be a help if you fell on a fence. I thought it stayed inflated until you deflate it… hmm thanks

Here’s one that Mike Matson mentioned in another thread. Still wouldn’t do the horse rolling on you thing, but otherwise is similar…and they have one that has the vest part stripped off for $400.

hit-air.com

ETA: I don’t have a horse related injury…but have been laid up for over a year. I’m planning on getting one just ‘cause I don’ wanna go here again!

Nurse says her humble opinion!!

Not quoting any research here but I had read that vests overall only reduce some (emphasis on some) degree of severity of some (emphasis on some again) fall injuries. It’s a false sense of security but certainly couldn’t hurt…unless…you end up riding in ways or times you shouldn’t because you’re wearing one. Don’t let them make you braver…jump bigger jumps or ride crazier horses etc. Vests mostly protect ribs, chest areas. Most spinal injuries are from concussion up/down (from the top or bottom) the spine not from the sides or from hitting on the outside. If you fell on a rock then clearly it’d help. If you fall on your butt? You’re outa luck!! :winkgrin: You need bubble wrapp on your butt!!! :lol: I had a orthopedic surgeon tell me once that having a fat butt or being obese was the BEST way to prevent breaking bones as the padding helps pad the fall literally!!! :D:D

I think vests are fine as long as you keep them in perspective. A helmet does not pretect you from ALL concussions & head injuries. A seatbelt doesn’t protect you from all car accident injuries. So I think a vest is similar. No reason NOT to wear one if you can afford and want to. And of course it can/may minimize a certain type of injury to your back if you fell a certain way. Chips/fractures of the facets or tips could be prevented but discs are usually from the top/bottom kinda injuries!

I kinda feel like the Pro-Air thing is hype (almost funny to me and my sick sense of humor!! ) but hey I buy stuff all the time that I saw on TV and determine I just GOTTA have it!!! ;):smiley: Ask me about my snuggie! :lol::lol::lol: