Unlimited access >

Bromont plans to run despite Canada’s COVID crisis

Might just be for a particular area. Next week the curfew for Montreal is moving from 8 PM to 9:30 PM. Gatineau (across from Ottawa) and Quebec City have been having heavy restrictions lately, as have a few other smallish regions, but the situation around Montreal hasn’t been bad lately.

Yes they also said Montreal has escaped it somehow.

All the events in Ontario are cancelled until end of June at LEAST. But hey the elite and upper level Eventers can still event. Even ones from other countries! Unbelievable.

3 Likes

so for those who want to event in Canada, the only option is Bromont then. How many unfit horses will we see there. How sad.

2 Likes

Really makes you wonder? Is it for Tokyo? YR qualifications? Has anyone even been XC schooling?

Is YR happening? I did see them looking for items to auction for November.

It’s planning to I believe!

2 Likes

I saw that last night on the news. I’m sure those nurses are being threatened with many things if they refuse too.

It’s ridiculous that they are even considering having the Olympics go forward. Just a stupid, reckless decision.
I’m hoping they will change their minds but if they don’t, I hope that many nations and athletes will choose not to attend.

If Bromont goes forward they will be in for some very bad publicity.

9 Likes

Bromont is my former home turf and I’m completely flabbergasted. People in Canada are separated from their family members in the US right now - there is a mandatory 3 day quarantine hotel stay for international travelers and a mandatory 2 week quarantine. This makes us all look like a bunch of elitist jerks. Which maybe we are (lumping myself in here even though I can’t actually afford to ride anymore…)

5 Likes

I’m disappointed that athletes are still wanting to go to the Olympics. In spite of what all is going on. Especially after reading that Japan nurses are being asked to volunteer. I get it, with all the training, time, money put in and that the clock is ticking for competing but…:grimacing:

7 Likes

It does seem rather selfish.

2 Likes

I’d assume running the event was a courtesy to the CAN team ahead of Tokyo (and the US riders in the NE) to help make up for the thin calendar of 2020.

A Top 10 rider recently lamented the running of Pau, KY and Luhmülen but no Bad/Burghley. Even at the height of infections in the US, events were still being run in some states, and you can watch many UK eventing vlogs from the 2021 opening events and there is not a mask to be seen. To even try for Tokyo this summer seems like insanity, even with testing, vaccines and other protocol.

In my uneducated opinion, it’s not horse events/golf courses/playgrounds that are hot spots of transmission, at least in Canada. It’s manufacturing/distribution/industrial/construction where you have loads of people working closely for extended periods of time, without enough paid sick days to incentivize them to stay home.

Everything sucks right now, for everybody.

Running Bromont is a bad choice, but I guess letting them find their limitations or gaps in training/fitness at Bromont is preferable to crashing and burning in Tokyo?

Just ……ugh. :expressionless:

4 Likes

1[quote=“WW_Queen, post:34, topic:759247, full:true”]
… and you can watch many UK eventing vlogs from the 2021 opening events and there is not a mask to be seen.
[/quote]

To be fair, BE and unaffiliated events are running under strict covid protocols. As one of the first organised sports to open up after Lockdown, the Events are under a lot of public scrutiny. However, as they are run outside there is no general mask requirement and now groups not exceeding six people are permitted. Last year I sat in a field by an obstacle and watched a police patrol car circle the entire course checking no one was being unwise. A first. Last Sunday, I was a Covid Safety Steward to ensure everyone was staying safe.

3 Likes

Not to have the thread veer off in the direction of the Olympics too much, but I was shocked to learn that Japan has only vaccinated 1.6% of its populaton.

I have never visited, but a few of my friends taught English there, and I have a lifelong fascination with Japanese culture, so I admit to being a bit shocked how a nation with a pretty strong health infrastructure (from what I know of it), has such a low rate. The article says they’re keeping cases down with tight borders, but even if the Olympics only goes on with very rigorous testing and having athletes show proof of vaccination, it’s going to mean a very different Olympics atmosphere than we’ve known previously–i.e., probably next-to-no spectators, a controlled village.

2 Likes

Who cares about their prep for Olympics when our ERs are having to decide can live and die. Not directed at you, just the whole situation. It’s ridiculous. Our numbers aren’t declining.

And the Olympics are the even more ridiculous thing happening this year. I just can’t understand how they can do that to their medical workers. The whole situation is gross and from what I understand the Japanese people don’t want them to run either.

7 Likes

Well, Little Bromont is cancelled, but no worries, it only effects Little Bromont.

#priorities

1 Like

I really don’t understand how one can run and that one is EARLIER and little Bromont can’t.

So Americans and upper level CNDs can event right now but us ammies can’t. All events cancelled until July AT LEAST and likely longer.

Guess money is the difference.

1 Like

I mean realistically, it’s not money that’s the difference, it’s the Olympics (which eventually comes back to money as well). Whether or not that’s right (ethically, morally, legally, whatever) is a whole other conversation.

3 Likes