Unlimited access >

Bromont plans to run despite Canada’s COVID crisis

Is it though? They are accepting entries from non Olympic contenders. So it seems more like if you’re in the whos who you get an invite and can go. The omnibus isn’t even released but I see people saying they have entered. How?

If they were running as an Olympic prep run they should come out and label it as such because it seems to appear more like they will do anything to let the UL riders have their FEIS but the smurfs are left out from any fun.

But the Olympics isn’t even going to bring in money to the country thats hosting. The whole point is for your country to make money off of tourists. This isn’t the case though, no one will really be touring this time at the olympics. It should truly be athletes only. Well IMO they shouldn’t be running at all.

2 Likes

Well, by definition any event run at the 4S or 4L is an Olympic qualifier, because all events at that level are (exceptions may apply, etc etc, but that’s the baseline assumption if you are running those levels). So I don’t think a separate label is needed. COVID or no COVID, that’s what it is because that’s the level it’s at.

This is all me guessing, but my assumption is that other entries are accepted to help the organizers fund it. The event itself is allowed because it is an Olympic qualifier, but if they were to only accept competitors who could go to Tokyo, they’d have to run it at a huge loss. Organizers are great people, but they aren’t responsible for bankrolling the sport.

…again, whether or not any of this is worth it or responsible given the global conditions is a completely separate conversation, I’m not taking a position on that one way or another in this particular post.

1 Like

I guess I don’t understand why Olympians are more important than others.

By money I meant…owners (like Mrs Mars who sponsors the event) sponsors, riders having money to influence.

Not Japan making money… who knows why they want it so bad

1 Like

Japan will make money from broadcasting rights and sponsors will be happy.
They won’t make what they would have if spectators were allowed but they’ll still make money.

7 Likes

I would be interested to hear if there were ever an Olympics that made actual money. Many of these events cost more than they make.

4 Likes

1984 LA Olympics. All privately funded through deals with big corporations. Only 2 new facilities built and all the rest of the competition used existing ones. The USSR was boycotting the entire event so, overall, there were fewer athletes attending.

4 Likes

Wasn’t L.A. the one where the eventing cross country course was on a golf course?

There are very few place in the U.S. that have all of the current facilities to have the Summer Olympics (L.A., maybe Atlanta still does). But the growth of cities that hosted the Olympics once would probably make it too expensive to have them again.

1 Like

Isn’t this the ultimate eventer’s fantasy? :laughing:

14 Likes

yes, it was on a golf course. I was screamed at by a rabid golfer when I and 50 others dared to stand on a green, (which is where we were supposed to stand.) I got rattled and forgot to load my camera and missed 36 shots. I have hated golf ever since.

9 Likes

Not just eventers!

6 Likes

Beijing Olympics, eventing was on a golf course in Hong Kong. Obviously the planners and riders have similar urges…

3 Likes

Yes! At Fairbanks Ranch in San Diego. A local trainer was a test rider for it. Talk about a dream!

1 Like

I find this particularly funny! People can have lives and interests that run parallel and so they never even see each other.

I was once put on a crossing point at Blenheim Palace International (then 3*). A couple who had been to visit the Palace approached me across the lawn and asked “How do we get to Bleydon Church, please?” (where Winston Churchill is buried). I replied “You cross here, over this track where horses are galloping along in an international competition, then walk straight down that stoney track… [me pointing at it]… through the shopping village …[me gesturing widely at the sea of white tents and marquees filled with swarms of people]… and keep an eye out for the occasional vehicle amongst all those people (50-60,000 people attend the event). Carry on downhill, still on the track, past an arena on your left… (by this time I was beginning to realise how intense their focus was on getting to the Churchill memorial as they listened intently and remained oblivious to the swirling activity in front of them)… with lots, Lots and LOTS of horses jumping (PC competition), until you reach a T junction with a metalled road. Straight on, over the competition track again, using that crossing point…
[visitors still listening intently as my gestures get ever larger and my directions longer] … Then aim in as straight a line as possible through the HUNDREDS of horse boxes parked up… [me thinking, they will get really lost there, no landmarks]… after 7 or 8 minutes you will come to another hard track. Turn right and that will take you out of the park, past a lodge house. The church is on the other side of the road, almost opposite.” They said “Thank you” and started off down the stoney track, through the shopping village, without even asking what the competition was.

7 Likes

So Bromont is doing a dirty. They moved the date to the weekend after this one or next, opened entries and closed them three days later without telling anyone.

Guess eventing really is becoming just for the pros and big names these days.

Canada has two good qualified riders to send to Tokyo…

Not a good look when our events are all cancelled until at least July. The entire base of support for the sport gets shafted.

Where did you see that? Everything I see says it was canceled.

Bromont is not running in 2021, at least that’s what they’re Facebook page says.

This says otherwise :wink: you just have to be Elite to be invited …

2 Likes

Yep. That’s the word on the “street”.

Seems like an attempt to boost some certain potential Olympic candidates?

Can we also talk about the entry fee for Training is $400 :joy::joy:

I love riding at Bromont but that course is not worth $400 unless you get to take a jump home with you.

6 Likes