Unlimited access >

Bromont plans to run despite Canada’s COVID crisis

Gee I wonder who needed the outing…

1 Like

I always thought there was a guideline for FEI for when the omnibus listing had to be put out publicly?

Wow. Just wow. That is really sneaky. Is there an entry list posted?

But - to be the devils advocate - this rider stayed home and local during the pandemic, with the exception of Rolex. She didn’t go galavanting around all spring like so many others did while people were dying working low wage jobs (again, with the exception of Rolex, which was a quick trip). And because she did the responsible thing she missed out on qualifying/selection runs. Ultimately I’m more annoyed that elite riders have been flying around competing and giving clinics when the people putting their baggage on planes, packaging their food for grocery stores (etc etc) were dying of covid…

4 Likes

Bromont is on EC’s competition page, although I don’t know when it popped up. It shows the Nations’ Cup scheduled for August as well.

How can the event afford to run though with extremely little entries if most didn’t even know it was open again. Everyone whines about little entries and how they can’t keep the show going if people don’t enter, but yet Bromont can afford to have maybe 20 riders in total. Is there even enough in Canada who can run a 4* to make it worth running the 4*? Or will Americans be coming up still, that will change everything if they can come up.

Interesting how it’s so in the dark. What are you worried about, you’re not worried if you’re running so just put it out there.

[quote=“LadyB, post:65, topic:759247, full:true”] Or will Americans be coming up still, that will change everything if they can come up.

[/quote]

Isn’t the border still closed?

1 Like

it sure is, but they were going to let Americans in, with the option to live in their hotel and at Bromont only. Not allowed to go to restaurants or grocery stores. No clue how you keep control of that.

1 Like

Perhaps the 20 or so people banded together to pay whatever it took to get it to run? But the border is only closed to “non-essential travel”. A professional eventer could make the argument that travel is a requirement of their job…not that horse trainer is essential, but horse sales/transport has still been a go across the border.

They had a whole plan worked out where US riders/support staff would need to provide proof of full vaccination, could only stay in one specific hotel, and catering was offered to the hotel (no going out to eat). I guess they somehow got it cleared with their Public Health unit so it could be sanctioned, but still not sure about the border crossing aspect as I’m pretty sure that’s federally controlled.

As LadyB said - I have no idea how they are planning to enforce a policy of “you can only be at the horse park or the hotel”. Even if you put someone at the door of the hotel to control leaving, you can’t control where they go when they leave (as in - maybe everyone needs to be in the hotel by a certain time in the evening and can’t leave until a certain time in the morning, but you still have no idea where they’ve been before or after they’re at the hotel.)

1 Like

My question is why was this a secret? This new ability to enter?

They have training level… so it has to be EC sanctioning too. Why weren’t members informed the event IS running?

THAT is dirty.

2 Likes

Entry list is out. Only certain riders and their students are entered so clearly this was a must be in the popular crowd to get an invite thing.

So gross all of it.

5 entries in the 3*
7 in the 2*

Why bother.

5 Likes

Any chance you could post the link to the entry list? I can’t find it.

3 Likes

Sounds super expensive for the venue…

4 Likes

Who the heck will volunteer??

3 Likes

All our ULR and their students and or grooms.

1 Like

I believe one of those ULRs with numerous horses entered at Bromont DID go compete extensively in the US for a few months earlier this year. And, as far as I know, this rider is not in contention for Tokyo.

this is not the rider who you mention only went to Rolex

2 Likes

the event that isn’t running, or is part of the secret spy service has live scoring.

https://evententries.com/#LiveScores3DfttH1soIf0U0hPJqmGJg==

1 Like

Unbelievable I still can’t get over this. It’s so wrong. I have reached out to EC and they explained WHY the event was running but not WHY it was not publicly advertised.

They had to limit entries… so looks like they chose who they wanted to enter that way.

Sucks for others who want to get out or even qualify for FEIS later in the year. Sucks for the sport and sucks for Canadian Eventing.

4 Likes

I imagine there will be a lot of Ontario competitors at the 2* and 3* levels who are excluded from this event who are legitimately angry about the way this is being handled.

I am so disappointed to see one particular rider on the entry list. I thought that individual would have exercised better judgment.

3 Likes

From what I understand the event has been run entirely with the purpose of one rider either qualifying or getting a prep before Tokyo. So that alone is even more messed up. When the officials and entire governing bodies are bending things and being secretive so one rider can secure their place to Tokyo you know things aren’t good in Eventing in Canada.

Personally I would have loved to run the Training level…I’m sure all the Quebec eventers who don’t get Little Bromont this year (was supposed to be THIS WEEKEND TOO) also would have liked to run the training level. But they weren’t even given the option because they don’t ride with rider A B C D or E I guess.

Little Bromont for those who don’t know is a Horse Trials run at National level the weekend after the CCI at Bromont.

4 Likes