Unlimited access >

Brownland Derby on grass

It looks as if the derby at Brownland last weekend was on grass and in an unfenced field. Anyone there to give us a report or share video? The pictures I’ve seen look lovely.

It was! They debuted the new derby field with a National Derby on Sunday afternoon. The fences were pretty much all single fences and unrelated distances set all over the field, with the exception being one two stride. There was a good mix of natural fences that you would see in the hunt field as well - logs, post and rail, brush, etc. They did have up a small temp rail, maybe about 2 feet high. Unfortunately there was a fall on course, and the horse jumped out and ran all over the field and it took everyone a while to catch him. Fortunately the rider and horse were both okay. They are having it again this week, on Friday, and I will be riding in it! So I will definitely report back on how it felt to ride out there. :slight_smile:

If you’re on Facebook, go to Brownland Farm Horse Shows and they have a short video clip. It’s not the greatest quality video, but it gives you a good idea of what the field looks like.

Man I am going to Brownland in October but I teach on Friday so can’t get there until the evening! I wish they had it on Saturday or Sunday in October too! Wink wink nudge nudge Brownland peeps :wink:

Good luck, HunterMolly! Report back.

Thanks everyone! I second good luck to Hunter Molly and thanks for sharing! Please report back and send pix or video! I hope this becomes a regular thing and that we get to go someday soon. Going to check out the video on the Brownland page now and then back to work and maybe earn some show money:)

[QUOTE=HunterMolly;7752698]
It was! They debuted the new derby field with a National Derby on Sunday afternoon. The fences were pretty much all single fences and unrelated distances set all over the field, with the exception being one two stride. There was a good mix of natural fences that you would see in the hunt field as well - logs, post and rail, brush, etc. They did have up a small temp rail, maybe about 2 feet high. Unfortunately there was a fall on course, and the horse jumped out and ran all over the field and it took everyone a while to catch him. Fortunately the rider and horse were both okay. They are having it again this week, on Friday, and I will be riding in it! So I will definitely report back on how it felt to ride out there. :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds very exciting! Glad the team that fell is ok and can’t wait to see this in person someday soon. Please send more news next weekend! And good luck!

How was the footing, When we show on grass we use studs, doubt I would have the holes drilled just for one class. Any body else worried about not having studs or would you get them for one class?

Brownland Derby update!!

It was so fun!! Unfortunately due to lots of rain they moved it from the field into two rings, but it was still cool and different from any I had seen before. You did you classic round, 8 fences, and then if you had no major faults and were not asked to leave, you cantered or trotted out the back of ring one (they had removed a section of the fence) over to ring 2 and immediately started your handy round. It was basically like one long course you rode in two rings.

The handy started with a short gallop once you got into the ring (three strides from the entrance they created into the back of the second ring) to a huge post and rail fence, to a roll back to a trot jump, to a very forward bending line, to a rollback to a vertical, and roll back again to an oxer. There were good options for heights and lots of places to demonstrate handiness. It was an absolute blast, and there were about 40 people in the class. I have never done one like that before, but would definitely again!