Unlimited access >

Budget for a 3' amateur horse

I wanted what you want, OP (minus the WB requirement - I was open to any breed). I ended up with a WB/TB cross, 8 years old, 16.1h, well broke but somewhat green, with an honest personality. He was $25k but due to a serious love affair with him and the fact that his lead changes weren’t quite confirmed I got him for a much lower price. If he was a full WB, bigger, or had more show miles he would’ve been more.

It’s too bad you’re so far from Eastern Canada (not Ontario - really eastern). We’re relatively isolated and despite having some nice, nice horses here generally don’t have the size/demand in the market to drive those high prices. There are a few really nice ones for sale well under $15000 CAD that would appear to fit the bill.

Do you have a really good line on transport? :smiley:

[QUOTE=twelvebelles;8436827]
I wanted what you want, OP (minus the WB requirement - I was open to any breed). I ended up with a WB/TB cross, 8 years old, 16.1h, well broke but somewhat green, with an honest personality. He was $25k but due to a serious love affair with him and the fact that his lead changes weren’t quite confirmed I got him for a much lower price. If he was a full WB, bigger, or had more show miles he would’ve been more.[/QUOTE]

And this brings up the very good point that asking price and what a horse sells for are often very different. IME bargaining down seems to be very common. That allows both seller and buyer to pat themselves on the back for having a horse that is “really” worth $20 k or $30 or whatever, even if they paid a fraction of that. So the asking prices on the sales sites might not be an accurate reflection of what horses really sell for.

[QUOTE=inca;8436604]
For all those saying to look in Canada, how do you recommend those of us that are in the US find these Canadian horses? Just wondering for future knowledge because I may be looking for a safe and sane (but not necessarily super fancy, hack winner) 3’ horse in the next year or so.[/QUOTE]

Facebook groups - for Western Canada, try B.C. Sport Horses for Sale, Horses For Sale - English Disciplines - Western Canada.

That’s where I looked this year, and found my horse there

I’m currently on the hunt for a very similar horse, but I want to do the smaller A shows and do both eq and hunters, and hopefully some derbies down the line. I’m currently doing the 2’6", hoping to move up to the 3’ soon. I’m in the Pacific NW and am mostly looking in Canada. My budget is $20k US (about $30k Canadian) and I have found some VERY nice youngsters in that price range. They’re not ready for the 3’ with me, but almost all of them could get me there in the next year or so.

$20k is a tough budget for that horse in the US, but if you’re willing to go young and take advantage of the canadian dollar, you can get it done.

Wow thanks for all the great feedback, this has been very helpful. As some of the posters have said I need to figure out what I really want to do. I started riding again after a 17 year hiatus and initially was just happy to be riding again, then came the desire to have my own horse again, and now that I’m leasing a nice mare and jumping 3 foot courses again the question arises of do I want to show again, and if so at what level. Honestly right now considering finances and time given my full time intense career, I would probably only do a few B shows and MAYBE an A show here or there (I’m thinking 3-4 shows a year). I would do the adult eq and medals mainly because I thought the medals were the most fun as a junior AND I know I don’t have the budget to buy a horse that will be competitive in the A rated hunter ring. So I don’t need a fancy horse or hack winner; that being said, one that is safe, sound, big enough for me, scopey, long stride, etc so I can have fun doing lessons and play a little in the local shows is what I want. When I was showing 20 years ago everyone was riding Thoroughbreds and my junior horse was a big TB who was amazing. I just love the warmbloods and want one this time around. I was thinking a budget of 20-30K. I’m not in a huge rush though, I could wait and save for a nicer horse. The mare I’m leasing is for sale for 30k, she’s the right size, warmblood, can do what I want to do - my hangups are she is VERY MARISH, not a straight forward ride but so far I’ve learned to ride her and don’t mind the challenge. My biggest hesitation is age, she’s coming 12. So well see, I’ll probably look around for awhile and see what’s out there. Canada also sounds like a great option. Again thanks for all the thoughtful responses!

12 is a good age. If that’s your biggest concern with her, I’d think more about her. Finding a horse that you know will do the job that you want them to do is a huge part of the occasion.

12 is a perfect age for a seasoned A competitor that is ammy safe and sound. Still lots of show years left. If not campaigned hard and with a good vet check I would seriously look at a horse of that age. Especially as you are coming back into the sport and want a proven horse. I just sold a 12 year very special mare I bred myself. An exemplary show record and near perfect vetting sealed the deal. I had three people bidding for her at the same time :slight_smile: And she sold in the mid to high 5 figures FYI.

I agree that 12 is a great age especially when you know the horse, know how to successfully ride it, etc.

when end buying a new horse of any age, you are taking a gamble after only one or two trials. If you find a good made horse, you might be ready to go within 0-3 months. but if you buy green, You are talking a year to two to get them up to speed as long as no behavior or soundness issues arise. I would 100% take the age gamble over the unknown gamble, especially when the horse is in their prime at 12.

Yes, if you want one a few years younger than 12 that can do what you, you’re going to have to pay more. 12 is not old.

Given the time constraints of your career, a 12 year old horse you know well that does not need a bunch of consistent pro training rides you can’t afford and you know is sound enough for the job is priceless.

Would bet the price is negotiable to a current client. You can deal with marish, if she isn’t on Regumate, that would be a place to start for the price of a training ride a month. If she is, upping the dose slightly should help as would going to the injectable.

Also, consistent riding in a regular program often defuses a lot of that temper…so does a regular rider they can get to know, bond with if you will. That’s a luxury sale horses used in lessons don’t have, they never know who is getting on or what to expect. They don’t have the confidence and trust of one with their own person in a regular program.

Buying within the barn is pretty stress free and can save a lot of grief and money beating the bushes for a good match when theres one sitting in the barn you know can do the job. Don’t worry about it being perfect, none of them are and there’s a better chance of being successful starting with one you know and can build a partnership with then a totally unknown prosoect…

[QUOTE=Linguini;8437233]
. I was thinking a budget of 20-30K.[/QUOTE]
You can definitely find what you want in this range, especially if you go with a USA or Canada bred horse.

I’d say around 20k if you don’t really care about the A and are happy with an eq horse over fancy hunter. The horse market seems to be high right now, but you’re not looking for a unicorn.

Look in Canada. $50,000 CDN is under $40,000 USD to give you an idea.

[QUOTE=541hunter;8437145]
I’m currently on the hunt for a very similar horse, but I want to do the smaller A shows and do both eq and hunters, and hopefully some derbies down the line. I’m currently doing the 2’6", hoping to move up to the 3’ soon. I’m in the Pacific NW and am mostly looking in Canada. My budget is $20k US (about $30k Canadian) and I have found some VERY nice youngsters in that price range. They’re not ready for the 3’ with me, but almost all of them could get me there in the next year or so.

$20k is a tough budget for that horse in the US, but if you’re willing to go young and take advantage of the canadian dollar, you can get it done.[/QUOTE]

541 do you follow the Thermal classifieds on FB, you do get some California pricing but there are also some nicer greener horses in that range. I love horse shopping I may need to help you look :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=BITSA;8442716]
541 do you follow the Thermal classifieds on FB, you do get some California pricing but there are also some nicer greener horses in that range. I love horse shopping I may need to help you look :)[/QUOTE]

I do! We’re going back to Canada this weekend to look at a few more but California is next on our list if these ones don’t pan out. Feel free to send me all the sale ads! :winkgrin:

Like others have said it all kind of depends. I think safe budget would be around $25k…this would most likely be something with maybe a few issues but would be able to pack you around. My trainer actually has something right now that sounds like it would be pretty perfect for you. BIG (18 h) lovely 10 yo WB that steps over 3’ and is honest as the day is long. I actually leased him for a few months and had a great time. He’s currently priced around $20k because the owner needs to sell NOW.

A few months ago I also was looking at a prospect that was under $25k that would fit your criteria. Younger and greener, but pretty much a packer already. He was an ex dressage horse who had only been jumped maybe a month. But he had a great brain that made him uncomplicated to ride. Big, lovely WB that would have been fantastic in the eq ring. He was another one that owner needed gone now.

So they’re definitely out there for not a ton of money. Good luck!

[QUOTE=Linguini;8437233]
Honestly right now considering finances and time given my full time intense career, I would probably only do a few B shows and MAYBE an A show here or there (I’m thinking 3-4 shows a year). I would do the adult eq and medals mainly because I thought the medals were the most fun as a junior AND I know I don’t have the budget to buy a horse that will be competitive in the A rated hunter ring. So I don’t need a fancy horse or hack winner; that being said, one that is safe, sound, big enough for me, scopey, long stride, etc so I can have fun doing lessons and play a little in the local shows is what I want. [/QUOTE]

I am in a similar position and also looking for a horse.
I have realized and accepted that there is no way I can afford a horse that would be competitive in the A circuit hunters (or even a likely winner on our local circuit, which is quite competitive here in FL). Once you account for this, that opens your search parameters quite a bit. You can search for more eq/jumper types that are not great movers, or are more plain looking.

I would imagine your trainer should be able to assist in a search for the horse you want. Looking at TBs and older warmbloods will broaden the horses you’ll have to choose from.

Here’s a popular Canadian seller: http://lochsidelanefarm.com/

[QUOTE=inca;8436604]
For all those saying to look in Canada, how do you recommend those of us that are in the US find these Canadian horses? Just wondering for future knowledge because I may be looking for a safe and sane (but not necessarily super fancy, hack winner) 3’ horse in the next year or so.[/QUOTE]

Equinenow.com and equestrianconnection.com allow you to refine by country or province. Southern Ontario, especially within 90 minutes surrounding Toronto is going to give you the best bang for your buck in terms of seeing multiple prospects, as this is the highest horse population. There are severely general Horses for Sale in Ontario Facebook groups which are very active, as well as many discipline and breed specific ones.