Unlimited access >

Budget grooming tote

With the impending arrival of my new horse, I’ve been needing a tote to put all his grooming supplies in. In the past I’ve always had the plastic open types, while there’s nothing wrong with them I wanted something enclosed to keep it more clean. I was also unwilling to spend what they want for horse specific grooming totes that close, running about $60+ dollars. Sooo…

I bought this old filing cabinet type box for $5 from the thrift store, and the plastic insert cost $2. It is lightweight and sturdy, and has the perfect amount of space for all my brushes etc and some basic first aid. It’s also tall enough for full size spray bottles, a problem I ran into checking out old tool boxes as an option. I just thought I would pass this info along for anyone else that might want a budget grooming tote.

11 Likes

Looks like a great find! Good job.

2 Likes

That looks great! Being lazy and not fond of spending money unnecessarily, I always used the “dump it all in a bucket” method. Then I’d cuss because I could never find what I was looking for, especially when it came to hoofpicks that sink to the bottom.

Rebecca

6 Likes

I am another person who has always used a bucket.

I have tried various other things over the years but always end up back with a bucket.

3 Likes

Awesome!

2 Likes

I have a bucket that I use for all my bathing supplies, since it gets washed out more frequently. I also bought a very sturdy, foldable heavy duty plastic three step step stool for a mounting block for $8. Love thrift shops!

So nice to see the fellow bucket users! I have even tried nice grooming totes but go back to my bucket. And I don’t know anyone that uses a bucket – I am the lone outcast.

You can buy cordura bucket covers which help keep them cleaner. I put the bottom half of a liter soda bottle in to hold my items that typically get lost: hoof pick, tail brush, scissors. The brushes and bottles go around it.

2 Likes

those using 5 gallon buckets, DeWalt has bucket organizer that drapes over the bucket

4 Likes

I don’t know about the others, but I am not using a bucket that big. It is one of these 2 gallon buckets.

I did try one of those 5 gallon bucket organizers once. I found that it just got in the way.

1 Like

Good score on your thrift store find!
I use one of these that I got for something like $20 but googling now they seem to be a lot more expensive:
There are smaller pockets along the inside that i use for little tubes of ointment etc and it keeps everything nicely organized. It does fill up with loose hair, hay, etc so when I clean my brushes I will also clean out the bag but generally I don’t have too much trouble with it being open at the top.

I bet you could find something like this as a thrift store find as well. I love good deals and repurposing “non-horsey” stuff that doesn’t come with the premium price tag!

2 Likes

Call me Equine Martha Stewart :smirk:
I have small woven baskets on a wood shelf (Ikea) in front of each stall:
(ignore pony who has limboed into the mini’s stall :roll_eyes:)

I’ll admit they’re dustcatchers, but easily dumped to clean & hold a hoofpick, curry(s) & 2 or 3 various brushes, including a mane/tail Dollar Store hairbrush.
I have run zipties through this one at the back, so when I take it with for shows it hangs from a 6-hook rack outside the stall.

3 Likes