Bunions...

Minor health issue compared to many but I have had one for years and it is starting to bug me a lot more lately. I am planning to start wearing roomier shoes. Anyone had any luck with the toe stretcher things (like yoga toes?). Or the gel sleeves to protect joint area when wearing shoes? Any advice/wisdom on the subject is most greatly appreciated. Turns out Bunions are not Funions.

I have a bunion that was very painful as it developed, threw off my gait, screwed up my back and slowed me down a lot . . . so, yeah, they’re minor, but mine was a giant PITA and I still do a lot to manage it/them. Because now the other foot is going that way, too.

My accumulated know-how: my sports ortho says that the real source of the bunion is in the attachment point of muscles and tendons in your calf, so all of the foot-oriented treatments are . . . well, shutting the barn door after the horse is out, as they say. He’s right, in that lots and lots of stretching and ball rolling for myofascial release from my neck to my toes has helped a lot.

BUT. I also got great pain relief from a myofascial release bodyworker focusing on the gliding joint on the top of the arch of my foot. One searing moment of pain, and the bunion stopped hurting permanently. It.was.miraculous.

And, I use yoga toe stretchers at night for 20-60 minutes for an hour, and that feels good.

And, I got rid of all of my shoes and now live in one-size-larger Ariat Terrains for the barn, with Dr. Scholl’s gel arch supports. Birkenstocks and Dansko and Naot for everything else. And Saucony walking sneaks – ugly, ugly, ugly but awesomely comfy for bunions. It’s all about roomy toes.

And, if I could lose 20 lbs, I’m sure my bunions would say thanks. Good luck. Treat them aggressively and you can slow their progress.

What seems weird is that it bothered me years ago and then didn’t bother me for a long time even ran a marathon during the interim years with no problem whatsoever. But recently I am sure noticing it. Maybe related to some new shoes that seem to aggravate it- so won’t be wearing those again. I used to find my cowboy boots comfortable but now looks like those are out too. I may also see if I feel better with wider width shoes. Will also try the toe stretchers. Of course will also try for an eval with podiatrist (years ago it was examined and deemed not too bad). It doesn’t look that bad compared to some pictures I’ve seen but I just want it to not hurt.

The short answer: Crocs. Wear Crocs for every situation you can manage. I wear them at home in the house, walking the dogs, work (RN), and to church. I wear them to the barn to feed and for all things horse related EXCEPT riding. For riding I wear Blundstones or Justin ropers, as in, wiiiiide boots. (I used to take a 9 in shoes, now my Justin are a MEN’s size 10.)

This strategy has made life with bunions much better and even cured a pesky plantar neuroma.

I do use the yoga toes and even do yoga, which is good for your feet because you are barefoot and actively using you toes.

My podiatrist told me he wouldn’t want to commit any surgery on my worse foot except fusing the big toe as that joint is basically destroyed and complicates the bunion issue. I have no interest in going that route. Also he offered to write me a note for work in case they gave me a hard time about my Crocs.

BTW, I mean classic, ugly, duck foot shaped Crocs, not frou-frou narrow stylish Crocs.

Go to a podiatrist for an evaluation. They can make recommendations for all kinds of solutions from shoes to straighteners to surgery. There are different causes and cures for bunions.

I was essentially born with them: had to have surgery as a child since both big toes had crossed under the second toe, large bunion formed. Had my second surgery on the right foot ten years ago, and am now recovering from my second left foot surgery as I type. This was a bunionectomy and tarsal fusion–basically, they shaved off the “bunion” and then fixed the big toe bone in place up in the foot so it will not rotate anymore. A more permanent fix that requires a longer recovery. Your feet need to last a lifetime and are the base for your body. Treat them right–see a doctor.

I started wearing barefoot sneakers everywhere and my bunions went completely away. Doctor said it couldn’t be done. But I highly suggest easing into it or your achilles tendons will hate you. Key things to look for are flat footbed and wide toe box and wide through the arch too. Crocs do fit the bill, but they still don’t make you use the little muscles in your feet much.

Thanks everyone. I think what I have is pretty minor. I have been feeling better since I got some “spacers” to put between my big toe and second toe that I wear during the day (doing it on both feet even though only one foot has been bothering me). Wearing roomier shoes is helping. I have also been doing some exercises and made a DIY toe spacer by taking a rope and “weaving” it loosely between my toes- so that is what I do when I have 30 minutes to sit around. So far so good. Will still plan to have a podiatrist take a look though I am not thinking they will have any huge insights to add- but one never knows.

You might try Vionics brand shoes or even Flip flops…extra deep heel helps the alignment

So then bunion quit bugging me only to start bugging me again a few months ago.
Sheesh.

This here bunion
it ain’t no funion
I know better than to wear high heels
for a high school reunion
Perhaps I’d better just go to the beach
and watch the grunion
a’ runion
This here poem
it be a’ dunion.

2 Likes