Unlimited access >

Bunny Hoping at the Canter - Thoughts? Update April 10

Hi everyone…I am stressing over my girl. Vet has already been called and is coming out next week.

8 year old OTTB - evented up to Training last year but still green. Have had her for about 10 months. She was living in a field for a year before I got her. She was thin with bad mud fever when she came to me. She is healthy and fat now.

Have had saddle fit issues the last few months, combined with the weather - she has had about 3 weeks solid off and some light riding in between. Before the saddle fit issue she was going pretty well - just working on flat work, improving connection, transitions, etc. Canter transition has always been awful, but slowly getting better. I am now questioning whether the saddle is really issue or if there is something else going on.

She has had 2 acupressure and 1 chiropractor appointment since January. She had a bad abscess blow out by mid hoof wall on the left hind in December and my farrier cut out the area where it grew out during her trim before her last trim, which was last week.

Since the weather has improved and I am still waiting for her new saddle, I have started lunging her to get her back into shape. No saddle or side reins - just the bridle. Cantering to the left she will canter about two strides then start bunny hopping, cantering with both legs together and what looks like reluctance to put her left foot down. Almost looks like she will put her fetlock down. She then bucks or kicks out and throws her head in the air and takes off or goes back to trot.

She does this nearly every time to the left and once in a while to the right. Her walk and trot are very fluid and sound. She is slightly downhill and can sometimes stand a little camped under.

Anyone experience something similar? I am hoping it is just the abscess in that foot coming back, but I have never seen this type of thing before.

When I saw the title and started reading the post it made me flash back to my guy starting to not move normally in the left lead, concerns it was hocks, SI, something else major, had an appointment scheduled at the equine hospital… and he blew out an abscess in his left hind and was immediately fine. Are you sure the abscess is totally gone and not hurting any more?

I’m glad you have the vet coming out, but my bet would be toward abscess-related, even if it’s sore muscles or twinges from compensating for it. It can be SO MANY other things, though, too!

No specific thoughts, just jingles! Glad your vet is on the schedule.

Another thought is loose stifles - i have one that does that whenever he has breaks from work for more than a few days. It’s the curse of the forever growing, gigantic TB in my case.

Good luck!!

[QUOTE=netg;7508790]
Are you sure the abscess is totally gone and not hurting any more?

I’m glad you have the vet coming out, but my bet would be toward abscess-related, even if it’s sore muscles or twinges from compensating for it. It can be SO MANY other things, though, too![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=clivers;7509055]Another thought is loose stifles - i have one that does that whenever he has breaks from work for more than a few days. It’s the curse of the forever growing, gigantic TB in my case.

Good luck!![/QUOTE]

No, not sure it is totally gone. I didn’t even know there was one until it came out, she was never lame on it. This makes me feel a bit better - thanks!

Loose stifles…any way to tell? Her trot and walk are so fluid and beautiful at the moment, it just seems so bizarre she is so uncomfortable at the canter. Vet is out next weds. I guess waiting game until then. I soaked it and poulticed last night and will do the same until the vet comes.

Thanks

I’ve had a few do that when they were not strong. After some time off…they just couldn’t hold the canter on the lunge but looked fine trotting. Hopefully that is all it is. It typically is always worse one way. Does she still look like that if you don’t have her on a small circle?

But I do typically think SI or stifles. Especially if she is downhill…they have to sit more at the canter on a circle than at the trot. So often they will look fine at the trot but not at the canter. Think about how you can often trot a smaller circle on a young green horse long before you can canter it.

Have someone lead her away from you on a straight line. If her hocks wiggle back and forth that is often coming from the stifles.

Just waiting for the Vet report from my horse’s visit to Tufts Vet Hosp. Hers was a bit more complicated but in the end, the bunny hopping is all of the above - hock/stifle and SI issues, all fixable.

Your vet will determine if its strengthening you need or injections or something else. Sending you jingles that it’s an easy solution!

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7509168]
Have someone lead her away from you on a straight line. If her hocks wiggle back and forth that is often coming from the stifles.[/QUOTE]

That’s great thank you will do this tonight with video.

@BFNE She was doing it a bit under saddle before she had the few weeks off…which is why I thought it was her back/saddle. Along with throwing her head up and grabbing the bit. I can try free lungeing her but it makes me a bit nervous if she has an injury because she will run around like the crazy chestnut mare that she is :slight_smile:

@Cantereoin this is what I have read…I guess we will just have to see what my vet says. I will give her a little lunge tonight and video to share later…see if anyone has any more ideas.

[QUOTE=Jealoushe;7509200]
That’s great thank you will do this tonight with video.

@Cantereoin this is what I have read…I guess we will just have to see what my vet says. I will give her a little lunge tonight and video to share later…see if anyone has any more ideas.[/QUOTE]

If you have an iphone 5, you can video and slow motion it to see what actually is happening. Both my trainer and I thought it was the left hock/stifle and the vet said, right. He then showed us her foot falls in slow motion to really see that the left is over compensating for the right which makes it look like the problem. It was eye opening.

[QUOTE=CANTEREOIN;7509217]
If you have an iphone 5, you can video and slow motion it to see what actually is happening. Both my trainer and I thought it was the left hock/stifle and the vet said, right. He then showed us her foot falls in slow motion to really see that the left is over compensating for the right which makes it look like the problem. It was eye opening.[/QUOTE]

Good call. I have a 4s but I have a good camcorder and can slow with imovie. Will definitely do that.

For our gelding, it was OCD lesions in both stifles.

Another weak stifle hint - if the hocks are close together at the canter, hooves swinging out.

I’d start with: it’s weak stifles or the abscess - 10months if ownership & time off isn’t going to build the stifles up…and she could be sore from lunging which is tough work, exaggerating the problem…

I had a mare who did the bunny hop thing, turned out to be stifle OCD/subchondral bone cyst.

My gelding would bunny hop at the canter (and be fine at walk/trot) when his Si joint and kissing spines got really bad. However, after a full bone scan there was a lot going on, but Dr. Allen attributed it mainly to the kissing spine.

I called our episode with these symptoms the $1200 abscess.

Buzz was only showing the bunny hop at the canter – walk and trot was fine.

Abscess drains out the bottom of hind foot when farrier resets him, it improved a day or two and then came right back. Vet was certain it was nuerological and wanted to spinal tap. I wanted to wait and see, so we did other tests, and lameness exam after lameness exam. After 6 weeks of this, the rest of the abscess blew out the top of his foot. In his case, one of the sets of films showed us an old injury that was an unhealed fracture of the wing of his coffin bone. Many times, apparently, those have a cartilage-like “bridge” grow back there to stabilize the fracture. The assumption in his case was that he had torqued his foot just right, and had displaced that fracture enough to cause some bruising inside, as the abscess was right above and below the fracture line. Now, how they could tell it was an old fracture, I’m not sure!

You’ve gotten a lot of good suggestions here, but you may have had an abscess that came out the side wall and there may still be a pocket of infection working its way up, still looking for a way out.

Fingers crossed that is what it is, and nothing more severe or scary.

Thanks for all the input.

I lunged her last night to get some video. She was a lot better and only did the bunny hop once or twice. The day before she did it the entire way around. I soaked her foot and poulticed again.

Apologies in advance for the quality, my husband was standing beside me videoing lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeEMCkZNecs

Watching the video, it seems like her main problem is that she isn’t bringing her hind end under herself. She hops when she looses her hind end bc it falls out. Her trot is sound, but occasionally gets very strung out esp in the transition. I think you have a training problem rather than a physical one, but it can be exacerbated by physical issues if they are present. If the vet clears for physical issues, I suggest lunging in side reins to help her start learning how to bring her backed up under her self and move more through.

If it makes you feel any better, I have been working on this same issue with my, also croup-high, greenie. As he is learning how to go appropriately and his back end is getting under control, the hopping/lead swapping is nearly gone.

[QUOTE=Jealoushe;7510380]
Thanks for all the input.

I lunged her last night to get some video. She was a lot better and only did the bunny hop once or twice. The day before she did it the entire way around. I soaked her foot and poulticed again.

Apologies in advance for the quality, my husband was standing beside me videoing lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeEMCkZNecs[/QUOTE]

Looks just more weak behind to me. I’ve had a few that do that sort of move when just coming back into work. I’d not canter her on the circle for long. Do more transitions…and bring her back to the trot before even a full circle.

[QUOTE=PoohLP;7510516]
Watching the video, it seems like her main problem is that she isn’t bringing her hind end under herself. She hops when she looses her hind end bc it falls out. Her trot is sound, but occasionally gets very strung out esp in the transition. I think you have a training problem rather than a physical one, but it can be exacerbated by physical issues if they are present. If the vet clears for physical issues, I suggest lunging in side reins to help her start learning how to bring her backed up under her self and move more through.

If it makes you feel any better, I have been working on this same issue with my, also croup-high, greenie. As he is learning how to go appropriately and his back end is getting under control, the hopping/lead swapping is nearly gone.[/QUOTE]

Definitely…FYI this video was purely for soundness test. I do not normally lunge without side reins and proper set up, but I did lunge her the day before just to stretch out as she was not ridden for 3 weeks.

This I can do, she was much better last night…I am feeling better. Hopefully the vet can confirm what you guys are saying!