Unlimited access >

Burghley fence numbering

I was look at the course walk on Horse and Hound. I saw several fences label like 10AB. How can a single fence have an AB.

The most direct route may have fewer jumping efforts–say a bigger/wider single effort labelled AB or jump a longer line with 2 fences separately A, B.

3 Likes

That fence would have alternative options to navigate the question. Usually the more difficult option is the straight route and the most time saving. But the rider can chose the easier route with more individual obstacles to jump.

Looks like there was some confusion re desired options at that fence–they have renumbered later elements: https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/burghley-horse-trials-cross-country-course-change-800976

At the 2018 WEGs, we saw fences at the big water complex where fences were flagged ABCD with several options. I think the last fence was a G or FG. There were so many ways to ride that complex, it was mind boggling :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:. The riders really needed to know what they could do and have a plan in place.

Apparently it is a Di Graza “thing” and hasn’t gone down that well. There were complaints that riders did not have time to do the mental gymnastics (should they need to adjust their plan) before approaching the next obstacle - if it was the next obstacle/

1 Like

Sometimes, at lower levels, it is a way to keep the same fences but make the course harder. Fence 10 and 11 will be easier, because there is room to circle before presentation, than Fence 10 A B where that circle would count as a run out.

The 2018 WEGs was a Mark Phillips’ design - and it was mind boggling at some complex’s. So these types of questions have been done by others besides Di Graza.

1 Like

I finally saw the course map with the routes laid out. Basically di grazia forcing riders to make a choice of either taking the direct route or the long route. There is really few options to bail out of the direct route midway to then take the alternate route. The way he has it laid out there is considerably more jumping efforts and time to take the alternate route.

Once you can see the map it makes more sense. I do think the visual can be confusing. I would not be surprised to see a rider or two have to pull up to get their bearings.