Unlimited access >

Burning Brush

Anyone ever have to burn a large brush pile close to their horses?

I’ve got 2 retirees at home and a brush pile pretty close to their turnout and barn. SO wants to get the pile burned down ASAP while we have a good amount of snow cover.

Unfortunately I have nowhere else to put these guys, they’ve only been home for a few months and I haven’t been able to fence anywhere else yet.

I’m worried they will panic with the fire/smoke. These guys are generally very level headed and haven’t been bothered by anything we’ve been doing around the property, including burning in another area. I am a worry wart by nature so I am probably over-thinking this and all of the things that could happen.

I’m sure others with horses at home have dealt with similar issues. Any words of wisdom? Should I lock them in? Leave them out with access to their stalls? I’m inclined to treat it like any other day and feed them extra hay on the opposite side of the paddock and cross my fingers. Thoughts?

What is the size of the paddock? Mine have always just stayed on the far side, but I’ve only burned in 2- and 5-acre pastures.

If it’s small, I’d put them in stalls with lots of hay.

My horses didn’t care at all when I burned a huge pile of deadfall over several days. How close is the pile to the horses?

I think this depends on how close is close, how big is the paddock and what way the wind is blowing when you’re burning.

I’d be hesitant to lock horses in stalls if the wind was pushing the smoke straight to the barn.

The burn pile is within probably 200’ of their paddock and the paddock is 1/2 acre or so. Part of getting this pile out of the way is so I can add another paddock for them in the spring. Stalls open directly to the paddock so I could lock them in with nice full hay nets and potentially let them out if they don’t seem bothered and the wind isn’t blowing their way

1 Like

At a distance of 200’ I would not expect untoward behavior from horses. Your horses might be different of course.

If it was me I’d light the fire, see which way was the smoke was moving and then put extra hay in area with cleanest air. My first choice would be to be feeding a grain meal while fire was being lit. But hubs always needs my help with fire, but maybe it would be a doable option for you

I think locking them up, closing the doors against most of the smoke, would be best for the burning. Closed doors are also good against blowing embers. You need to get rid of the pile, having snow around it is safer when burning.

Call the local fire dept to tell them you are burning for EVERY fire. Our township puts up no-burn bans that surprise people, like when it is drier than folks think for burning their ditches in spring. A call takes a minute, saves getting firetruck visit and BIG fine!

Totally agree. I’d have no qualms about burning 200’ away from a 1/2 acre paddock, especially when the horses have already been shown to ignore burning brush previously.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance all!

And good advice @goodhors, we always make sure to get a burn permit and follow the regulations for our area but a reminder to do so never hurts!

They won’t even notice.

1 Like

This is not a problem for your horses. Light it up when you have good snow cover on the ground, and no wind. If it’s cold, your horses may use the fire to warm up- that’s what mine did when I burned piles at -35 C one winter. 4 or 5 mares, nose to tail, walking around the burn pile. They liked it so much that I kept restacking it, and kept it burning for several days for them. They let it burn down before approaching it, just embers with small flame, and smoldering, but still throwing off good heat. They would walk around it in a circle, nose to tail, and every now and again, everyone would stop and turn around and walk in the other direction. A “horse rotisserie”. They were known as “the campfire girls”. Contrary to popular opinion, they aren’t stupid. A couple singed their fetlocks and tip of a long tail. No damage.

2 Likes

The summer version of this is the smudge fire to help keep the bugs away! https://www.cowboycountrymagazine.com/2014/07/smudging-101/

1 Like

Just an update for any other worry wart weekend warriors such as myself…horses did fine! I locked them in but left their top doors open so they could see what was going on. One never looked up from his hay, the other was a little agitated for about an hour but eventually settled down. I think he was more bothered about being locked in (it has been literally months since they’ve been locked in their stalls) than anything else. I let them out after a few hours once the fire got quite small and they were cool as cucumbers. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply!

1 Like