Unlimited access >

Burning through front shoes

Anyone had a horse burn through front shoes on their way from naturally (very!) on the forehand to more balanced? I would have thought shoe burner in question would have gone through them quicker when completely on the forehand, but seems to have suddenly ramped up the wear in the past few weeks as they start to take a little weight back onto the hind legs.

I have not noticed this before. That said it’s been a long time since I worked with a slightly downhill horse and I wasn’t doing the daily care for those ones so maybe they did too?

Are the shoe types the same? I am wondering if they switched from steel to aluminum or something? Or has the footing changed (in turn out or where you ride)? Seems odd they would wear more. If wearing at the toe, is he pawing? Landing toe first?

4 Likes

Steel as normal. Footing hasn’t changed. The wear is indeed at the toe - I always ask for a fairly extreme rocker, but this round of wear seems excessive. Not allowed to paw. Will wave a leg around in the air at turn in or before meals are served, if anything, but not actual pawing.

Hmm, mind you we are having a lot dryer spring than normal so maybe it’s abrasion during turnout.

I would get a video of the horse walking from the side and see if the hoof is landing toe-first.

9 Likes

Did you pay close attention to the shoes when put on new? I wonder if they are just shaped differently and look more worn at the toe?

I agree with WavyRider though: video to see how your horse is landing on those front feet.

3 Likes

“fairly extreme rocker” may not be what she needs, did you have a good vet prescribe the shoe?

edited to ask if she paces the fence in turnout? I have seen that wear out front shoes.

Are you sure your farrier didn’t reset the previous shoes when the horse was last trimmed? It does seem weird that he’s progressing in his training, yet wearing out the fronts.

2 Likes

Yes, and have used rocker toes for many horses over the years.

Nope. Occasionally stirs the pot by running around like a looney toon, but no pacing of fence lines.

It was a reset, but the wear is excessive even for a reset.

Am going to double check this tonight. Last time I checked, no. But the wear doesn’t seem like toe-first landing wear where the thickness of the shoe at the toe is compromised. It’s like the rocked area has been ground and squared even more - the whole angle is backed up, more like would happen if the horse was an unchecked pawing maniac.

1 Like

How do you know horse isn’t pawing when you aren’t there?

2 Likes

Is the farrier rockering the toe by bending the shoe, or is he grinding it off to get the upswing?

3 Likes

I’d hear about it! BOs live on site and keep a pretty good eye on the goings on and keep us abreast of any annoying habits that may crop up. Plus, I’m usually there at turn in time and pm feed time and have observed for myself over many months. Grooming area and stalls are fully matted, and I have a zero-tolerance policy for pawing :slight_smile:

Grinding - same as various farriers have done for me over the years.

Same shoe supplier/manufacturer?

Maybe ask him to bend a little and grind a little, to leave some toe.

I honestly have never seen them ground down for the rocker, but know some farrier do it that way.

4 Likes

Yes.

Bingo. This is a new thing and will be addressed.

8 Likes

The only time my horses wore shoes thin was when I did a lot of riding on gravel roads. I imagine steel shoes are not quite so hardy as they used to be and may wear faster but that would mean the shoes would be wearing all over not just the toe.

Pawing when turned out where nobody would notice but more likely something has changed to make the horse move differently?