Bursitis sufferers: anyone here ever have a surgical procedure?

I am just wondering if anyone out there has ever had a bursectomy, hip, shoulder, knee, or otherwise.

No, I have just had my hip injected for bursitis. I assume you have already tried that?

I have also only had the hip bursa injections. They have helped me a lot, and so far I haven’t needed to go any further. knocking on wood

Rebecca

I’ve had injections in shoulder, and it hasn’t helped at all. =/ I’d love to hear anyone’s experiences with the next steps too!

I have been getting injections for three years. It just appears to be chronic, and the PA thinks I may benefit from surgery, I assume removal with IT band release. Ouch. But I have the horse of my dreams and can barely ride, so I’m open to options. I will have an MRI in the next week or so.

Mjs8, are you sure it’s just bursitis?

I got both hips injected today. I’ve been getting them for about a year and a half and they help a lot. I also think some changes I made are helping too.

Bristol Bey, do you know what is aggravating your bursitis? I have really tight thigh muscles and stretching and relaxing them helps. I’m also on a prescription anti inflammatory. But I think what really helped is that I stopped working out so hard. I was working with a trainer and a lot of it was weight machines. For awhile I did a whole lot of nothing and it felt much better. And I use a mounting block to avoid the torque on my hip.

[QUOTE=JBD;7187839]
I got both hips injected today. I’ve been getting them for about a year and a half and they help a lot. I also think some changes I made are helping too.

Bristol Bey, do you know what is aggravating your bursitis? I have really tight thigh muscles and stretching and relaxing them helps. I’m also on a prescription anti inflammatory. But I think what really helped is that I stopped working out so hard. I was working with a trainer and a lot of it was weight machines. For awhile I did a whole lot of nothing and it felt much better. And I use a mounting block to avoid the torque on my hip.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I stretch and do the foam roller or hand-held massager to relax the IT band.

I live in a hilly area and my other favorite activity has always been walking the dogs up and down the hills. That had to stop. I really only do flat walks now, which is a PIA because I have to load all four in the car and drive a half mile to walk. When I go to the gym, it’s mostly upper body and core, and nothing too strenuous (see the trashed shoulder thread). You know what really gives me a sleepless night is the elliptical machine. Even 20 minutes is too much.

My Ortho office has you see the PA for everything, and they consult with the docs if they think surgery is warranted. Thank you, cheap HMO. I saw one PA the first couple of times back in '10, then switched to another guy, who moved on last year, so this was my first visit with this PA in three years. He was alarmed that I was still getting the shots 4 x a year. Also, because of my shoulder issues and surgery, I basically did not ride for 8 months of the last last year, but hips didn’t really feel any better.

I just want to keep moving. Two of my siblings died of smoking-related causes in the last year, both before 70. I reeeeally want to keep active.

Are you on any meds? I take diclofenic sodium twice a day. The doctor also (reluctantly) prescribed Tramadol when I asked for something for the painful nights. I’ve only taken the tramadol a couple times because I am feeling less pain. But I’ve really avoided the things I think cause flare-ups.

The stationary bike is better than the elliptical. And walking on hard surfaces for any length of time, even flatland is hard on the bursitis.

Try icing at night. I recommend the meds. And if you can, do nothing for a little while to see if it helps. Strangely riding doesn’t really bother me. Im showing hunt seat and preparing for Arabian Nationals. I do think my dressage saddle would cause me pain. I ride pretty short in the hunt saddle.

[QUOTE=JBD;7189204]
Are you on any meds? I take diclofenic sodium twice a day. The doctor also (reluctantly) prescribed Tramadol when I asked for something for the painful nights. I’ve only taken the tramadol a couple times because I am feeling less pain. But I’ve really avoided the things I think cause flare-ups.

The stationary bike is better than the elliptical. And walking on hard surfaces for any length of time, even flatland is hard on the bursitis.

Try icing at night. I recommend the meds. And if you can, do nothing for a little while to see if it helps. Strangely riding doesn’t really bother me. Im showing hunt seat and preparing for Arabian Nationals. I do think my dressage saddle would cause me pain. I ride pretty short in the hunt saddle.[/QUOTE]

I ice daily. I take 1/2 Vicodin twice a day, and ibuprofen at night. I have tried other NSAIDS but they tear up my stomach. I have tried everything there is, and it’s just chronic.

I always use a mounting block. I don’t even think I could ground mount if I tried.:stuck_out_tongue:

My mother had bursitis in one of her hips. She went through injections, ibuprofen, etc., for a couple of years. Some it helped for a bit, but not a lasting remedy. She quit riding because of the pain. She had her hip replaced about 1.5 years ago and is so glad she did.

[QUOTE=kisstherain;7191313]
My mother had bursitis in one of her hips. She went through injections, ibuprofen, etc., for a couple of years. Some it helped for a bit, but not a lasting remedy. She quit riding because of the pain. She had her hip replaced about 1.5 years ago and is so glad she did.[/QUOTE]
My understanding is that hip replacement is not done for bursitis. I think your mother had joint problems also.