Unlimited access >

Bute and Metformin interactions?

A friend who isn’t on COTH, asked if I knew of any interactions between bute and Metformin, either studied, or suspected anecdotally. Neither of us can find anything formal.

the general question as it pertains to her situation is - could metformin interfere with bute working as effectively?

this is for her vet to answer there is not a lot of PK data for Metformin and horses. In HUMANS bute slows the excretion of Metformin and and can lead to toxicities

but you cannot translate the same to horses, that is just a bit of info

I should have added (and will update now) that her vets don’t know anything about this, for reasons we already know- not a lot out there.

But thanks for that info on bute slowing the excretion of Metformin in people at least. I think that’s more than she’s been able to find at all! But now I need to know - who’s giving bute to people???

2 Likes

The only thing I could find was increased risk of lactic acidosis…in people. That would be most likely in people with existing renal insufficiency.

Susan (R.Ph)

1 Like

bute is still used in some areas of the world and there are people who do self medicate. I was prescribed bute when I was a teen in the 70s. Thankfully had no issues

1 Like

I mean I knew a lady who squirted banamine in her OJ sooooo :laughing:

But good to know, I have a pony on metformin.

1 Like

Banamine is allegedly good for hangovers.

Hence the morning OJ mix :rofl:

1 Like