Unlimited access >

Butet Rider Fit?

Butet Rider Fit?

Hello,
I recently trialed an older 17" butet with a #1 flap (13.5"). I loved it and found it fit horse really nicely HOWEVER it was pretty small. Could not meet finger clearance in the back and leg hung over flap acouple centimeters. I am about 5’6" with a 21" femur and have found forward flap saddles to be too forward. Does anyone have an 18" Butet with #2 flaps that can provide some feedback? I am considering trialing an 18 made in 2001 but hesitant that it will be a waste of time as it is too small.

If you have an 18" with #2 flaps please post:

Height
Femur Length
General Build
Fit

Pics mounted would be greatly appreciated, just trying to save time and money before I trial an 18".
Thanks!

it’s not an 18, but I have a 17 w/a 2 flap - the old flat style with no blocks, relatively flat seat. I’m almost 5’8, 22" femur and average build (but fairly high waisted).

Which is by way of saying if you haven’t tried a 17 2 flap and one is available to try, I wouldn’t rule that out

I don’t know my femur length (and don’t have a tape measure available to measure at the moment), but I’m about 5’7" or so, and my inseam is about 34"; I would say my thigh is longer than my calf. A 17" Butet is great in the seat for me, but a 2 flap is not forward enough and not quite long enough. A 17" with a 2.5 flap is pretty much perfect for me; a 3 flap is a bit long, but still perfectly acceptable. An 18" (unfortunately, I don’t remember the flap) was much to roomy in the seat for me.

An important point to remember that because saddles are handmade, there can be a lot of variance, even with the same specs. Also, a deep seat Beval naturally has a more forward flap rotation than a flat seat.

My saddle that fits me best (which has a 17.5" seat) has a 14" wide flap and 14 1/4" long flap; the 2 flap Butet I sometimes ride in is 13" wide and 13 1/2" long; the other saddle I ride in is basically a Beval Artisan (it’s actually a Colbert Brothers) with a 17.5" seat and 2 flap, which measures pretty much the same as the Butet.

Also, I don’t know that any of this was helpful! :lol:

I have a 17.5" with a 2.5 flap. I’m 5’8 and have long legs and when I tried saddles with the rep, this was what I was told to get.

[QUOTE=DMK;7970903]
it’s not an 18, but I have a 17 w/a 2 flap - the old flat style with no blocks, relatively flat seat. I’m almost 5’8, 22" femur and average build (but fairly high waisted).

Which is by way of saying if you haven’t tried a 17 2 flap and one is available to try, I wouldn’t rule that out[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I am 5’4" but also have a 21" femur and my 17" #2 flap Butet works perfectly for me. My current Butet is a flat seat model with the FB2 (WB) tree. Be aware that Butets do not come in 1/2 sizes (so, no 17.5") but most measure a bit larger than they are stamped. My “17” actually measures 17.5" from the dot to the middle of the cantle.