Unlimited access >

Buyers and Sellers

COVID aside:

As a seller, are you leery of a buyer, after learning they have been looking to buy a horse for over a year, including numerous ISO ads?

As a buyer, are you leery of a seller with a horse marketed, listed and actively for sale for over a year?

What is a realistic time frame?

If out of that time frame; could it be the sales price or purchase budget is unrealistic? Or?

Iā€™m leery of all sellers :slight_smile:

23 Likes

And all buyers :joy::joy::+1::+1:

15 Likes

Who has time to track buyers and figure out how how long theyā€™ve been shopping? Sellers itā€™s a little easier if the ad states when it was originally placed. But do sellers really have time to stalk buyers like that?

11 Likes

IME buyers that have been looking this long will tell you right up front as part of their sob story.

Yes, as a seller it makes me leery when a buyer tells me theyā€™ve been looking that long. I wonā€™t decline their interest but Iā€™ll definitely expect some ridiculous expectations and a low-ball offer.

11 Likes

Oh boy. Anyone who starts off a business transaction with a sob storyā€”about anythingā€”makes me suspect itā€™s gonna be a hassle

10 Likes

That too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Everytime Iā€™ve bought a horse they continually fail vetting and not with anything small. 6 months is a very basic timeline to find a horse in a generous market. I wouldnā€™t be surprised at all in a 12 month search. However Iā€™d think the iso ads differentiate if folks are realistic. Weā€™ve all seen the ads looking for a 3rd level dressage horse or 2ā€™6 hunter for under 10k lol. Those folks will dig a grave before they find something.

8 Likes

^^^^This-learned the hard way.

Iā€™m not leery of either if the price is right and the horse is a fit.

Quite frankly, the horse world can be shady on both sidesā€¦ so whether it has been up for sale for a week or decadeā€¦ and whether youā€™ve been shopping your whole life or a hot secondā€¦ it doesnā€™t matter. Money is green. People want it. Some people are never satisfied. Thatā€™s life.

6 Likes

As both, I am not leery of horses that have been on the market a long time.
In 2019, I personally was selling a horse & it took close to a year, I was very picky about selling as it was crucial that this horse went to a good home so I did turn down several offers that I thought wouldnā€™t be in the best interest for either my horse or the potential buyer but also the lowball offers & those that were way too far for me to feel safe transporting my horse.
This particular horse was also for sale for awhile, it was a bit of a gamble but after a perfect PPE & spending a week with the horse, I was comfortable knowing the horse had been for sale for awhile.
TLDR: For a buyer: Always do a PPE, bring an experienced friend or trusted trainer with you, & ask to see the horse pulled out of the paddock/stall as well as tacked/groomed etc. If allowed, film the trial ride too so you can look back at the footage! All of this will give you more info than just knowing how long the horse has been up for.

5 Likes

It really depends. Some buyers are looking for a unicorn and may have seen a lot of horses but not had one fit every box. It seems that the less horses the person can afford to have the longer their search tends to be. For instance, since I have the land to spare I can buy a horse that might not be perfect and be ok to get another. But when I was boarding, it was much more essential I got the perfect horse.

As a seller, I have had amazing horses sit for over a year due to them not being desirable in some way (OTTB, red mare, etc). I just had my OTTB sit for 3 years between leases because no one wanted to look at him since he was a plain bay teenaged OTTB gelding The woman who just leased him sends me messages almost weekly about how amazing he is and sheā€™s have great success in the show ring.

But, any horse thatā€™s super desirable that sits for a long while tells me thereā€™s something wrong there.

3 Likes

Re: buyers who have been shopping forever, I went to see a really nice young WB recently that was pending vetting by another buyer. The very well-reputed seller said she wouldnā€™t normally even show me a horse that was pending vetting, but in this case the potential buyer had already done extensive PPEs on THREE of the sellerā€™s other horses in the year she had been shopping and passed on all three for minor things. The best part was that one of the horses she passed ended up being bought at full price by the vet who did the PPE! :rofl:

9 Likes

Iā€™m not necessarily leery of buyers that have been looking for awhile, especially since I always try to be upfront about pricing and if the horse is out of their budget, we donā€™t continue the conversation. Having been on the other side of failed PPE after failed PPE, I know it can take some time to find the right horse. With the market as crazy as it is right now, horses are getting snatched up fast, and I really pity anyone shopping at the moment.

On the flip side, especially in this market, I am SUPER weary of horses that have been for sale for a year. Iā€™ve seen buyers get much more forgiving about PPEs and blemishes and certain quirks. If a horse has sat all through the crazy Covid market and itā€™s not in some really out of the way location, then my first assumption is there is something wrong. Either a really bad x-ray or a screw loose.

1 Like

I think COVID adds a whole dimension for buyers (and sellers) aside from failing PPE, job issues, kids being home from school etc could affect a buyers timeline. I was looking for a 2nd horse as my 1 was getting near retirement. I had issues w/ getting trainer to go look with me, bad weather, and the few I looked at were much greener t han I wanted. Winter hits so we put shopping on hold and I didnā€™t see anything of interest to me for awhile. Sometimes it seems there are so many you canā€™t decide what to see and then nothing.

As far as sellers, some sellers might not actively market a horse or it could be a situation where itā€™s for sale or lease, and ends up being leased and then back on the market. I think it all depends on the history. And some sellers just price the horse more than itā€™s worth. I know several people who had their horses for sale for a long time because they turned down offers they felt were too low. There are legit reasons on both sides, but if the story sounds too fishy trust your gut.

3 Likes

Iā€™m always leery of sellers, but, I am also leery of people coming to try my horse priced at $80,000 and later find ISO adā€™s saying their budget is $30,000. So annoying.

5 Likes

How dare you tell me my budget of $20k (inclusive of import) for a GP dressage schoolmaster is unrealistic! We can push it to $23k for the right horse. But in that case, I cannot pay both the trainer commission & import. Therefore, I will need you to pop a trench coat & fedora on him & drop him off in front of KLMā€™s International Departures desk at Amsterdam Schiphol. I have just enough frequent flier miles to get him an exit row seat in Economy. As long as he mumbles in Dutch & flashes his FEI passport, they should allow him through Customs with no issues. We will send an Uber to meet him at JFK. :wink:

Watching the action at a schooling show today, I have to say that I legit think it can (and maybe should) take a year or more to find just the right fit as a buyer. Probably more often than not. Horse/human pairs are every bit as nuanced as human-to-human romantic partners, imo.

15 Likes

Lol.

I made what I thought was a very fair offer on a young, unstarted horse about 7 years ago. It was not accepted. I bought another really lovely, young unstarted horse within a few months for less $$,$$$.

The ā€˜fair offer horseā€™ remains available and unsold 7 years later.

:horse:

2 Likes

Iā€™m leery of horse people in general :rofl:

12 Likes

This is exactly what I mean by ridiculous expectations. Sorry not sorry, if someone tells me theyā€™ve vetted multiple horses and they all ā€œfailed,ā€ my immediate assumption is theyā€™re expecting a miracle horse with not a single blemish or fault.

But I also donā€™t believe in ā€œpass/failā€ for a PPE. All horses have something, especially if they have an impressive show record. The question is whether or not itā€™s something youā€™re willing to deal with. Everyoneā€™s definition of ā€œminorā€ is different.

13 Likes