Unlimited access >

Buying a 4 horse H2H

I have the truck… I am pretty sure I have the money… I definitely have the need! Please hold my hand as I take the plunge.

Buying my very own 4 horse head to head has been a goal of mine for some time now. I absolutely abhor slant load trailers, however I live in Texas most of the year so I rarely see anything but slants. I understand it won’t be easy to find a head to head and I’ll probably end up getting a custom. That’s okay, I am willing to spend and get it over with. The brands available in my area seem to be 4Star, Sundowner, Cimarron, and Turnbow is a little ways off but I know their trailers are top notch. I love Hawks, but they are non existent out here…

Any brand reccomendations/ scary stories are welcome. If anyone could give me a ballpark price that would be great. Thanks!

[QUOTE=Angelico;7035658]
I have the truck… I am pretty sure I have the money… I definitely have the need! Please hold my hand as I take the plunge.

Buying my very own 4 horse head to head has been a goal of mine for some time now. I absolutely abhor slant load trailers, however I live in Texas most of the year so I rarely see anything but slants. I understand it won’t be easy to find a head to head and I’ll probably end up getting a custom. That’s okay, I am willing to spend and get it over with. The brands available in my area seem to be 4Star, Sundowner, Cimarron, and Turnbow is a little ways off but I know their trailers are top notch. I love Hawks, but they are non existent out here…

Any brand reccomendations/ scary stories are welcome. If anyone could give me a ballpark price that would be great. Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you want a Hawk, order a Hawk from Risa at Happy Trails. I am in MA and I just ordered one from her, I can’t be closer than 1000 miles away. They’ll deliver it to you.

4star makes a nice trailer as well. In New England, Hawks are very popular so I’m very familiar with their 4h head to head models.

If you like the Hawk I would also look at Equispirit, Double D, EBY, etc depending on what you’re willing to spend.

Here is her Hawk page on the 4H head to head with pricing: http://happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=11

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;7035697]
If you want a Hawk, order a Hawk from Risa at Happy Trails. I am in MA and I just ordered one from her, I can’t be closer than 1000 miles away. They’ll deliver it to you.

4star makes a nice trailer as well. In New England, Hawks are very popular so I’m very familiar with their 4h head to head models.

If you like the Hawk I would also look at Equispirit, Double D, EBY, etc depending on what you’re willing to spend.

Here is her Hawk page on the 4H head to head with pricing: http://happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=11[/QUOTE]

Haha I don’t think you understand how far removed I am from any of those brands… All nice trailers, but I prefer to be able to go see some of their products before I order/buy.

I had a 4 horse H2H miss it every time I have to haul somewhere. Had to down size as here on the island I just could not get in and out of a lot of the places, let alone try and turn around.

If I was getting another one I would go with a Hawk. I just love there trailers, seen some when I was traveling in the states a few year back.

I had a Titan steel H2H step up back door with a side ramp, no tack room.

You might want to look at used trailers. If you are close to a major race track you might be able to look at different brands to get an idea.

For years (in the race horse business) we always had a 3/4 or 5 horse van then switched to the 4H H2H. Great move. I love that configuration and NEVER haul slant!! First one was a steel Kingston - rusted all away in a few years. (Winter highway salt). Then a Turnbow steel that raved about their rust proofing and undercoating. That bugger rusted through in 3 years in NC with no winter/salt/weather. Next was an aluminum Featherlite. EXCELLENT trailer. Great quality/construction/amenities…high $$$ though! When it got down to DD and I being the only ones to travel (before 2+1’s came into existence) I designed my own deluxe, custom 2+1 (+!) in a 5 horse slant box. 7 wide, 8 high, 21 feet in the horse compartment, with a full rear ramp and a 4’ right front side ramp so I could load like a 4H. I had the plans priced out by several manufacturers and went with 4 Star. EXCELLENT in every way and about $10k cheaper than Featherlite. We still have the trailer and it is now 21 years old…looks like new and EVERYTHING works as well as it did 21 years ago when we got it. I would certainly recommend 4 Star for quality, price, customer service.

One day hopefully I will be in your position and I will be buying a 4-Star
http://www.4startrailers.com/

I feel like these trailers are the best for your money. I currently have a 2 horse Hawk and I love it but if I would be upgrading for a bigger trailer, I would want something a little more “commercialized”. Check out 4-Star!

Loved my 4h head to head Jaamco. Sold it after 10 years for 2/3 of what I paid for it. It looked almost new after 10 years. Great trailer.

[QUOTE=Angelico;7035703]
Haha I don’t think you understand how far removed I am from any of those brands… All nice trailers, but I prefer to be able to go see some of their products before I order/buy.[/QUOTE]

Angelico = PM me your location if you want, sent 2 trailers to TX this month so far and have another going late this week, you may be close or on the way OR not as TX is a huge state! The Web makes it a small world!
Risa
www.HappyTrailsTrailers.com