Unlimited access >

Buying a CWD Saddle

Hi all!
So, I’ve come to conclusion that I’m most comfortable in a CWD saddle. I have a rep coming out this sunday so that I can be fitted.

I’m kind of nervous since this will be my first saddle fitting, so I’m not sure that to expect. Can anybody tell me exactly what goes on during a fitting?

Next, my price point is $3,000.00 to $3,500.00 do you think that is a good price range for a used saddle?

Also, does anybody know the different styles that CWD has to offer?

Hmmm… You are very close at the $3,500 mark for a new saddle. Fittings are fun, you ride for the fitter and either tell them you want a pro fit or have them tell you what your horse needs. I ride everything in my pro fit and have never had a fit problem, but I’m no saddle fitter! Good luck!

I know! I was told new saddles are $4,500.00 so I am hoping I can find something in close to new condition that is broken in. It’s such a shame I can’t get a new saddle since it’d be another grand but it’s just not in the cards for me, since my mom can’t afford it.

And I’m actually looking for a pro-panel saddle since I don’t own my own horse.

[QUOTE=Justice;7440474]
Hmmm… You are very close at the $3,500 mark for a new saddle. Fittings are fun, you ride for the fitter and either tell them you want a pro fit or have them tell you what your horse needs. I ride everything in my pro fit and have never had a fit problem, but I’m no saddle fitter! Good luck![/QUOTE]

I was at the CWD tent at WEF and I’m pretty sure they have a set of guidlines for pricing saddles and that 3500 is the price of a used saddle that is very very new. Most of the 3500$ ones I saw looked like they were in demo condition - some scuffing from the stirrup leathers but not even really broken in yet. And both were negotiable!

So if you can find what you want used you can definitely find it in your price range. Good luck!

You will LOVE your saddle, I’m excited for you!

& remember a saddle rep is not necessarily a certified saddle fitter. Some are certified, most aren’t.
Do a little reading beforehand so you can pick the best saddle for you and your horse.

When they ask you how you feel in your saddle, mention EVERYthing you are feeling- don’t be shy. is it pushing your leg forward/back? Do you feel too far from your horse? And most importantly notice how the horse reacts to the saddle. Any head tossing? Moving off your leg well? Good shoulder freedom?

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7440442]
Hi all!
So, I’ve come to conclusion that I’m most comfortable in a CWD saddle. I have a rep coming out this sunday so that I can be fitted.

I’m kind of nervous since this will be my first saddle fitting, so I’m not sure that to expect. Can anybody tell me exactly what goes on during a fitting?

Next, my price point is $3,000.00 to $3,500.00 do you think that is a good price range for a used saddle?

Also, does anybody know the different styles that CWD has to offer?[/QUOTE]

I got a one year old used saddle for 3000. I love my saddle though don’t even remember what leather it has haha.

I had no idea that reps could be uncertified, and still fit people for saddles.
Should I consider asking the rep I’m having come out if she’s certified?

Also, I will mention those things!
I am not fitting the saddle to a specific horse since I don’t own and am not leasing yet. So, the fitting is solely for the rider- where as I hope to end up purchasing a Pro-Panel so that the saddle could work well with multiple horses.

[QUOTE=WillowB;7440738]
& remember a saddle rep is not necessarily a certified saddle fitter. Some are certified, most aren’t.
Do a little reading beforehand so you can pick the best saddle for you and your horse.

When they ask you how you feel in your saddle, mention EVERYthing you are feeling- don’t be shy. is it pushing your leg forward/back? Do you feel too far from your horse? And most importantly notice how the horse reacts to the saddle. Any head tossing? Moving off your leg well? Good shoulder freedom?[/QUOTE]

Aw thanks! I really hope I’ll find a saddle i fall in love with! So excited, too!:o

[QUOTE=Justice;7440595]
You will LOVE your saddle, I’m excited for you![/QUOTE]

Wow! This gives me high hopes. I must say I’m happy to hear that. I was expecting $3500 to get me something that’s a couple years old and shows significant wear, but I guess not!

[QUOTE=Rel6;7440557]
I was at the CWD tent at WEF and I’m pretty sure they have a set of guidlines for pricing saddles and that 3500 is the price of a used saddle that is very very new. Most of the 3500$ ones I saw looked like they were in demo condition - some scuffing from the stirrup leathers but not even really broken in yet. And both were negotiable!

So if you can find what you want used you can definitely find it in your price range. Good luck![/QUOTE]

When you were down at the CWD tent did you notice any coloring trends? Like was there a more popular color leather? (ex: chocolate brown vs. lighter brown)

[QUOTE=Rel6;7440557]

So if you can find what you want used you can definitely find it in your price range. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Love love love my CWD. Not only is it comfy, but it seems to fit different horses! Not perfectly, no, but pretty darn close! I don’t think I got anything special about it. But when I was down in New Jersey looking for a lease, I tried the saddle on 2 different horses, not similarly built, and it fit them both pretty well. Everyone was totally surprised.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7440864]
Wow! This gives me high hopes. I must say I’m happy to hear that. I was expecting $3500 to get me something that’s a couple years old and shows significant wear, but I guess not![/QUOTE]

I sold mine for 2,950 in flawless condition, not even a scuff mark on it. It was 7 years old but had light use and looked better than the newer models. As far as color I got the tabac (light brown) and asked them to oil it so it was dark when it arrived. It was a beautiful dark brown with use and cleaning/conditioning.

[QUOTE=BAC;7440942]
It was 7 years old but had light use and looked better than the newer models. [/QUOTE]
:yes: most gorgeous CWD I’ve seen was an 06 (I believe) that was a personal saddle of a senior rep - saddle was 4 years old at the time, beautifully broken in & not a scuff or even stirrup leather rub.

Their pro panels are fantastic. Don’t be afraid to get the grain, calf combo, I have the all calf with the fancy stitching, but some trainers feel that their standard saddle is more close contact. After reading about the 2GS on here, I want one, but I don’t want to give up my hunter saddle.

I just put in my custom order about 2 weeks ago, and am already anxiously awaiting its arrival! Unfortunately for me, my horse needed several truly custom options, so I wasn’t able to buy used. They did have a brand new, sat in maybe once, calf skin in what was my measurements that they were selling for 4000, so 1000 off the original price. They seem to hold their value very well.

Now, when you say the grain/calf combo are you talking about the type of CWD saddle that has the two different colors like some of the SE02’s?
I do want something close contact, but does it make that much of a difference?

[QUOTE=Justice;7441054]
Their pro panels are fantastic. Don’t be afraid to get the grain, calf combo, I have the all calf with the fancy stitching, but some trainers feel that their standard saddle is more close contact. After reading about the 2GS on here, I want one, but I don’t want to give up my hunter saddle.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7441852]
Now, when you say the grain/calf combo are you talking about the type of CWD saddle that has the two different colors like some of the SE02’s?
I do want something close contact, but does it make that much of a difference?[/QUOTE]

Its not two tone, I had grain with calf seat/knees, but the calf and the grain oil slightly differently to begin with, but after some use my seat was only slightly lighter than the rest of the saddle and the knees were the exact same color as the flaps and the rest of the saddle. Its just that different types of leather take the oil a bit differently.

I’m not a fan of the grain/calfskin combo because almost every saddle I see with it has the stitching coming loose somewhere.

The two tone saddles are the grain/calfskin combo where the calfskin is lighter, I believe. But you can get the darker calfskin where the two leathers look very similar in color.

The saddle I am trying now is grain with calfskin seat and knee pads in a dark brown, which I prefer. The grain leather is more durable and I don’t see or feel much of a difference between the broken in grain and broken in calfskin (although to be sure calfskin starts out basically broken in.)

(On another note, I HATE the 2Gs. I’ve heard them described as the opposite of the Butet: great for the horse but bad for the rider. I cannot get myself in to a good position on any 2G, even a custom one made for a girl my size. But the horses definitely go super well in them. Wish I did!)

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7441852]
I do want something close contact, but does it make that much of a difference?[/QUOTE]
I think the saddles your thinking of that are “two-toned” are the full-calf options in the lighter brown, the name of which is escaping me. They have a grain reinforcement on the bottoms of the flaps that are different in color on the lighter colored saddles.