Unlimited access >

Buying a horse advertised wearing a fake tail?

If you are horse shopping and notice a horse presented for sale is wearing a fake tail in photos/videos; would you expect the tail to be offered and included with the sale? Or would this only be an ask the seller/agent? Would it matter if the horse was expensive or not?

*Note: there are obviously some fake tails you would not want. Moot point.

Does the lack of a nice natural tail effect value in your experience? If so; how much would a very skimpy tail, effect the value of an otherwise, say 50-70 K horse?

This is a hypothetical question based up virtual shopping and does not reflect any particular horse or pony offered for sale*

No, I would not expect it to come with the horse. But it is something you could always ask the seller if they’d be willing to include it.

7 Likes

Nope to both questions. Would not expect it to convey and wouldn’t expect a thin tail affect price. I’ve been in barns that put a fake tail in just about everything and barns that didn’t use them at all. Just an optional accessory.

5 Likes

Nope wouldn’t expect the tail to be included and I wouldn’t pay less over a thin tail either. The only thing I’d maybe watch for is that the fake tail isn’t being used to cover up problematic hocks in sale photos.

14 Likes

Another vote for no on both questions.

I do not expect the horse to come with the tack it is wearing in a sales video either.

8 Likes

No, and no. Would you want the saddle he’s wearing in the ridden videos, too?

2 Likes

Hypothetically i might offer to buy it or ask that it be included in the sale, I guess. But I wouldn’t assume, any more than I would expect the tack or a specific halter that it wore when I tried it.

referring to real estate as a guide, the parts of building that are to be excluded in the sale should be noted… any fixture attached to the structure is assumed to part of the structure unless specifically excluded thus included in the sale

As for saddle and bridle, those are not attached but fitted such as a dinning room table and dishes on the table whereas a fake tail must be attached otherwise it becomes dislodged

I have no idea what the cost of fake tail but would believe it to be less than the legal fees to recover the tail

So it is buyer beware in the sale of livestock, what you see may not be what you get so ask if its included

Um… the saddle has to be attached otherwise it becomes dislodged too. At least any saddle I have ever used.

10 Likes

a saddle is attached but not affixed

regarding this question we have Morgans so fake tails is mute point

1 Like

I’ve had one who has a custom fake tail and owner offered it to me along with some other tack that fit the horse well - for prenegotiated prices. Nothing in life is free, y’all!

7 Likes

Normally fake tail doesn’t come with horse, but if you like it… ask. Everything is available for a price. If I’m purchasing a horse that wears a double bridle or goes particularly well in a particular bridle, I ask to purchase the bridle since I know the horse already is comfortable in it.

3 Likes

Certainly worth asking, but don’t be surprised if the answer is No.
If the fake is a common color the seller may very well want to use on another horse.
OTOH, if it’s an unusual color, seller may be willing to part with it, but may ask for retail.

As for @clanter 's comparison to RE:
I got my riding mower when I bought the house.
By asking if it was included.
(as a Citydweller I had no idea what those things cost)

1 Like

Hmmm… interesting responses. Thank you all!

I know someone who bought a lovely, low AA hunter that had a very skimpy, very short tail. So skimpy, it was challenging to put in a fake tail and hide it. Think so skimpy, it would make an Appaloosa sad. I believe the agent sold the horse with its tail and back then the purchase price was lower five figures.

I was curious about the typical protocol because of all the fake tails I noticed on video ads, especially across the pond.

How is a saddle attached but a fake tail affixed? They’re both temporary pieces of equipment that are attached and removed?

More relevantly, the answer is no on both counts. A fake tail is just another piece of equipment. It doesn’t come with the horse and it’s use doesn’t mean the horse is worth any less.

9 Likes

I’ve always joked that a naturally good tail on a horse adds 10K to the price. :wink:

2 Likes

No. But if the horse was hard to match I would probably ask to buy the matched tail, or if I was the seller I would offer the matched tail to the buyer.

2 Likes

I don’t think a thin tail usually affects price but a naturally full/thick tail is a nice bonus!

This! I think a nice tail doesn’t add to the price but it does make the horse easier to sell!

Fake tails are not a permanent attachment. You tie them in when you need them and take them out when you’re done. We’re not talking about a light fixture or a dishwasher.

8 Likes