Buying a young-ish jumper in Europe?

Going to Sunshine, Oliva or Villamoura is actually really good advice without having existing contacts. Walk up to the rider after the round and ask if the horse is for sale. This is commonly done.

If you spend a week at one of those locations you should be able to try a bunch and also see how they do at a show environment. Yo may not get the bestest price as you would if you went straight to the small breeder that campaigns locally but should still totally fit into your budget.

Have one of the vets there take the films and send them to your own vet for review. I’m sure it still happens but I bet those vets are less likely to collude with the seller than their local vet would.

8 Likes

And if you find someone who has to ferry any home if unsold? you can maybe get a good deal!

4 Likes

Don’t discount Irish horses. Mid-high 5’s will get you agent and import fees all-in, something scopey and they tend to have the best, most kindest personalities. I also like the way they’re started, a lot of desensitization and hacking out, vs grinding them over big fences for show. Although that can happen anywhere. I can share a connection if you like, but my agent wants to take buyers over to look at them and try.

8 Likes

This. I have bought a few now (some from auctions, some from friends of Trainer)

the geldings WITH IMPORT to CA have cost me less than 45 door to door. Obviously the mares are more.

I just bought a 5 year old, matches your description to a T, for 17,500 EUR. But it was from an auction (no trial, used existing rads, etc) and I am so pleased with her. Just started under saddle, very well bred, shows good scope & nice brain. She (including CEM) was at my door for 45k. And last year I bought a lovely gelding from Ireland, 6 years old, tons of shows under his belt, just not big BIG TIME scopey enough for his FEI level owner, for TOTAL to my door, 45k. He ended up not being the ride for me (thicker bodied than I expected) but that wasn’t his fault and we sold sold him quickly for a little profit.

I’m not a pro, so not interested in making commissions :rofl:
I can send you the auction house I’ve used as well as whom I’ve bought horses from in Ireland.

6 Likes

“I won’t share my contacts” :roll_eyes: Good lord.

20 Likes

You’re looking for two different horses.
I would not buy a young horse for someone looking to restore their confidence over larger fences.
If it were me (and it has been me), I would focus on finding something that, as mentioned, is 10-12+ that tops out in the 1.30-1.40m, but will be kind, safe, and fun all day long.
Also-- I assume you have a trainer you are working with?

9 Likes

I think this makes sense if OP wanted to more immediately begin competing over bigger tracks. But it sounds like OP wants a horse they can enjoy for the long haul, and is willing to be pretty patient with an eye to long-term goals, and has no immediate showing goals. Given that, I can see where buying the right young horse (something naturally brave, with some miles over fences even if green) would be a good fit.

6 Likes

I think being risk-averse in terms of a horse that is secretly a bit tricky or less than sound and with your budget, I would tell you to shop domestically where you can try a horse a few times and vet the seller a little more easily. Eventing barns doing the FEI levels (which starts at Prelim for them) could be a great place to shop - they place more emphasis on character than most hunter/jumper barns, and prices tend to be a little softer. Most European horses are used to being ridden very, very differently and while it might go great when you try them, the wheels can fall off the bus very quickly once they land here.

Are you working with a trainer? Even if it is just for the purchase, I would strongly recommend you enlist someone you trust to help you out. If you are importing, you absolutely want to work with someone who has imported before and help the horse speak English (aka, go around the jumps with a lot less support).

8 Likes

I think one of the largest drivers in pricing can be how easy a horse is to ride. That to me is where most of the heartache with buying abroad happens. People have a great trial overseas and the horse lands in the US and it is one year behind where it was in the trial. But people had planned to improve the animal immediately.

I think bc you want one to rebuild your confidence, that’s the element that’s going to cost you more than if it’s 1.30/1.40 scope. So many of these horses can get around a 1.30m course with a European pro no problem but then really struggle with an amateur at 1.10m. they aren’t just more green, they require a different type of ride to be successful. It’s harder to tell with young horses if they have the potential to be easy. They may have easy characters, but it’s a bit of a black box.

I think you’re better off finding something doing the job today that’s a little older (7+) and more confirmed. I would maybe look at something more hardy in Ireland, or an eventer, or buying locally. I say this as someone who has imported 5 horses from Europe with good contacts vs. the 2 I bought here. The known quantities I bought here were the better matches that I feel great having bought. And I’m looking for similar things to you, maybe a little more budget.

What you give up in potential, you gain in certainty and you reduce your risk as well. We forget too that we do this for fun. I think you will prefer having fun jumping 1.20 on a horse that makes you feel confident rather than hoping to jump 1.40m on a horse that doesn’t. When we only have one horse, we want to make sure it’s one we feel good signing all those checks for. The regret of buying the wrong horse is so painful.

16 Likes

I concur with this. Why if you are showing at 1.15 do you need to jump 1.40 at home? Most of the 1.30 horses in our barn jump 1.15 at home.

5 Likes

Back to the scarcity of recommendations, it’s a 2 way street. Many, myself included, do not give out names without knowing and trusting the person asking for the info. It’s more than just commissions, its reputation. No offense but not all trainer/agents run public operations and prefer to only deal with known, trusted contacts who only refer people they know and trust. Asking on the internet is unlikely to reveal some of the top private trainers and agents.

Your trainer may be in a better position to ask about contacts…or not.

7 Likes

You can absolutely find this with a smaller breeder. You should budget to go and ride something though. The breeder of my current horse has a 1/2 sister who is 4 at 40k I wish I could buy, lovely young horse with three 1.60 grand parents and both 1.60 parents.

2 Likes

Look for an Event horse who has decided it dislikes cross country or an older horse looking for a quieter life. They tend to be well rounded, to have seen a bit of the world and Eventing is perhaps less intense than other disciplines so their brains are generally sound.

8 Likes

I would love that - thank you so much!!

Thank you so much! Please do!

Yes! I have a trainer I have been working with, they are more keen on local sales so I’m doing my homework to bring to their doorstep for some convincing. The stopping is an old trauma, and I have since ridden many honest horses to get over it as much as possible. Once I start riding a stopper, I lose confidence. Some young horses are very sensitive, spooky, and careful, which might be great for a pro, and this might not be a good match for me. I have been riding a lot of young horses (6-7ish) over the last few years and found most of them to be just as honest and lovely as their tried and true packers, just rougher around the edges, and if I get a young one, I will hopefully have many many years with my horse vs. a precious few… that’s my reasoning.

I’m just not good at competitions - I don’t have a lot of mileage at shows, nor any real desire to be a part of it, I get nervous. I ride so much better at home.

2 Likes

Thanks, they have their tried and trusted people here in the US, who all charge the standard US prices but I need to pull my own weight if I want to reach the European market

I wish I could get in touch!

This is great advice, thank you!