Buying a young ottb

We have several OTTB’s in our barn. All very different personalities.

The first thing I’ll say is that I’m surprised he didn’t get any down time after racing in August. They really need that. You won’t know what kind of horse you will have until after that.

Second, he is a four year old. He is going to grow.

Third, OTTB’s generally have no sense of balance, flexibility, etc. They know how to run and that’s it. So you have to take things slowly.

Fourth, even a slow racehorse is fast. What most people don’t realize is how quick they are. Quick and fast are two different things. A young OTTB will test your seat and position.

With all that said, I love them.

10 Likes

Like to add that “Let Down” does NOT automatically mean chucking them out in the back pasture with minimal interaction. More often it is a gradual transition from the regimented, 7 day a week management and exercise program to a more… casual for want of a better description… program.

When you think about it, a horse right off the track has only ever been handled by professionals since they stepped on a training track. At the latest. Hotwalkers, grooms, exercise riders, trainers, race jockeys? Vast majority skilled professionals at the least, many are licensed with vast experience. Everybody who handles that horse. It is what the horse is used to and expects.

The restarter here is also a pro and very likely manages their barn in similar fashion. So it can keep the horse on a more relaxed but still regimented schedule, horse knows what to and when. No way anybody can know anything about what this horse will be like in just 6 weeks-that track and track routine is still in his brain- it is what he knows. Even if he’s sensible, it has been his life for 3 years…6 weeks will not erase it.

No idea where OP will be moving this horse but it is going to be quite different from the track and restarter they have known. Oh, at first you get them home and they are curious, a little scared, no horsey buddies, new digs, new people, pretty quiet. Wait a few weeks until they get comfortable and the honeymoon is over. It is alot to ask of a young horse, that is why a gradual let down period to ease them into a new routine and job is so important. Especially if going into a boarding barn environment with non pro caliber handling and riding.

Be remiss not to mention even the best restarters have to get them sold ASAP and the best they can do is teach them just enough to evaluate what they might be able to do in the future. Buyer might hop on them but only for a short time and only at the restarters barn, just like most other professional rider/dealer barns.

Sorry I wandered a bit here…hope you get the gist of what Im trying to say.

8 Likes

That sounds promising! Please keep us posted and post pics if you decide to take him!

1 Like

I was wondering about this as well, and that he’s already doing small jumps.
Can he have a break for a few months, at least, to mature a bit more ? I don’t think you’d regret it.

For a four year old, so much has happened to his mind and body.
If he raced at 3, he was started when he was two. If he raced at two, he was started when he was year and a half.

1 Like

It reads like he is from a flipper, not necessarily a retraining program, in which case no break after racing is fairly standard.

That being said even quality programs can put them straight to work. The only reason[s] to give them time off is if they have acute injuries, mental/stimulation overload, or are going through a growth spurt. There’s nothing inherently wrong with keeping them in work as they transition, often they value the interaction, and just about nothing you do can be as high stress or physically demanding as their former career was.

12 Likes

I saw him last Thursday, and he was exactly as described; easy going and quiet. He’s kept at a boarding barn, so not the sellers own facility. The seller rode him first, tractors and Gators were going back and forth, and he didn’t care about any of that. He was very much a kick ride, a bit wiggly in the corners, and he needed quite a bit of encouragement to pick up the canter, especially to the left. He was very sweet, and felt very safe. I’m going back tomorrow with my sister-in-law, who is a riding coach, to get her opinion on him.

17 Likes

keep us updated!! :smiley: im excited for you

Horses off the track are very accustomed to all sorts of machinery. Spooking at vehicles and machinery is usually not much of an issue, if any.

3 Likes

A box turtle in the middle of the trail though? Terrifying :joy:. Also, the firewood pile.

Big machinery, traffic, general loud Human Sourced Noises, no problem.

5 Likes

Well?? Your enablers need an update.

1 Like

Yes, update needed! :grin:

1 Like

I was riding a couple of weeks ago when the garbage truck arrived to empty the barn’s dumpster. I just parked my guy in the arena doorway and sat there while he very curiously watched the truck pick up, flip the dumpster to empty it and then put it back down. Loud, probably could be considered legitimately scary, he couldn’t have cared less. Even my trainer was impressed. Came over to give him a pat and admitted that probably the majority of the barn would’ve turned tail and run over that.

Now, the 13hh Palomino pony said trainer has in on trial for her daughters? That might as well be the Grim Reaper as far as my horse is concerned. :joy:

5 Likes

The only thing worse than a pony is - gasp! - a mini donkey :scream:

You really can’t beat the exposure that horses get on the track. I think if I was shopping for a husband horse, I’d get a track pony. Those horses have seen it ALL

3 Likes

Ugh, I’m in love! SIL gives two thumbs up as well. The vetting is on Tuesday!

12 Likes

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

My OTTB was also deathly afraid of ponies when I first got him.

Here’s said OTTB and his new BFF.

FWIW other than the two weeks he stood around in his owner/breeder’s backyard while the Craigslist ad was up, he had no let down time. He was fine, I think happy to have an easier job.

14 Likes

That means we’ll have pics on Wednesday, right? :rofl:

2 Likes

24 Likes

Handsome boy!

2 Likes

Fingers crossed on vetting - NICE find!

Lovely topline.

4 Likes