Unlimited access >

Buying An Event Prospect With Popped Splints

Would you purchase an ex-racehorse for the purpose of eventing if he/she had popped a splint before? I’ve heard from some people that their horses were 100% sound once it no longer had heat in it, but others have said that it was a prolonged issue.

I’m looking at a lovely upper level event prospect whose only issue is that she has popped a splint. The current owner says it doesn’t bother her at all; I haven’t seen the horse in person so I can’t tell you for sure if that is the case. Just interested in hearing your opinions!

I’d say it is the RARE young horse that doesn’t pop a splint. Super common issue. Sometimes it bothers a horse, other times it does not. I’ve had many MANY MANY horses who at one time or another popped a splint. Some I’ve done nothing, others needed shockwave…some it never bothered again, others it was a bit re-occurring (and I always booted them to avoid the occasional wack). My one mare popped a HUGE one as 3-4 year old. You couldn’t even find it as a 7 year old. Just depends on the horse. I absolutely wouldn’t rule a horse out…but would exam it in the PPE if we got to that stage.

With BFNE… rare to not have a youngster with one. Would not bother me - but depends on the horse… PPE fully…

Splints for me are not an issue. Ive never had an issue and ive had more horses than I can count with splints.

I’m trying to remember any competitive horse I’ve ridden that didn’t have splints, and can’t think of any.

My youngster popped splints on both fronts just from playing hard in the pasture. Never bothered her so doesn’t bother me either.

Some are problems, most not - definitely evaluate it as part of the PPE. Beware those that are really large - I’ve seen them impinge on the suspensory body and cause problems there.

Yep, not sure I have a horse without splints except the weanling. And I am sure her day will come at some point. And never had a horse affected by them in any way, except a couple weeks off when they popped it originally.

One of mine even has pin firing on both fronts from track splints. Apparently some people still do that – who knew. He’s only 7. I didn’t care, they don’t bother him. You can’t even find the old splints under the white spots. But he has another one! I always boot my horses to ride because Murphy’s Law follows me everywhere. I keep a pile of boots on my grooming shelf next to the brushes, takes 30 seconds to toss Woofs or Heidis on. I might just groom where the saddle and boots go, but priorities…

Splints can be a problem depending on location, but otherwise, they are not. I have not had that many pop splints but when they have, there have been no soundness problems. Beware of a splint that is very high or low … for obvious reasons.

Yes, beware of splints that are high, low or very large.

And make sure that the horse’s conformation doesn’t make him susceptible to popping splints. If his legs are correct (each portion “stacked” on the part below so his weight is carried evenly all the way up), then the current splint is probably an anomaly.

I also think crooked legs are the thing that makes them most susceptible to splint popping. Especially a horse that wings in.

But a lot of sport horses will get splints just because they work hard and play hard in the paddock, and eventually they will crack a leg. My horse with the most splints plays so hard in turnout I had to move him to individual turnout after a few ridiculous paddock accidents from roughhousing. He still gallops around like his tail is on fire and slides into the gate a good 3-4 times a day. Horse like that are hard on themselves. Nothing wrong with his legs and he’s actually very quiet under saddle. A darling of a horse but just lots of energy. He lives out 24/7 on 2 acres and still keeps this up.