Buying an OTTB- Jog videos

Hey! I’m looking at OTTBs from directly from the track and I’ve noticed one thing, and just want to get some opinions on it.

How concerned are you when it comes to how a horse moves in a jog video? I know that they aren’t going to have the great big flowy trot that’s all tracked up, but quite a few I’ve seen in videos are somewhat stiff in the hind end or appear off on one hind foot, but only at the trot. Should this be a giant red flag, or something that with a little let down time will resolve itself?

Thanks and sorry for my arrogance!

1 Like

In a nutshell: it depends.

It depends on the horse, it depends on the situation, it depends on how much risk you can absorb.

Most racehorses don’t look great jogging in hand. They’re often on hard surfaces like asphalt or gravel for the video. They are often tight from coming straight out of their stall. If they raced recently, they are often a little sore. They are often held tightly to maintain control, sometimes in a lip chain, so they really can’t move out.

I wouldn’t encourage anyone to buy a horse when they have questions about the horse’s soundness. But also, if you are waiting for a perfect jog video, you might end up waiting forever.

This is where it can be really helpful to bring along someone experienced in buying off the track for a second opinion.

22 Likes

You can check Equibase for clues. If there have been long or frequent breaks between racing or years off that can be a hint that something was up.

Usually if it’s on one of those from the track rehoming pages (at least here in Ontario) and they look sore, they probably are.

1 Like

Texarkana nailed it.

Hard surface, likely wearing shoes that make that hard surface slippery, pulled from their stall and asked to jog.
It can lead to some pretty ugly jog videos for some perfectly nice horses.

2 Likes

Texarkana has the info you need to hear.

Buying any horse off a video would be foreign to me. Jogging a racehorse in the barn area at the track would be an exercise in futility IMO.

GO to the backstretch. Meet the trainers, grooms and exercise riders. They know the horses in their care… Cultivate friendships among the racing community. Go to the races. Learn to read the form, and know what sort of races potentially will have horses who may be available for sale soon. Make lots of trips. Get admitted to the backstretch (you will have to be signed in at most racetracks if you do not hold a racing license). Talk to people there, trainers, exercise riders, grooms. Tell them what you are looking for. Make connections. Watch morning gallops. Learn how to identify a trainer’s horses by their gallop tack (often monogrammed). Watch the horses move under saddle on the track… they will usually trot for a while before picking up the gallop in the morning.

When you find one that is for sale, that you like the look of in the barn, ask to see it go under saddle, trotting and galloping in morning exercise. You may not ride it yourself if you are not a licensed exercise rider at the track, but you can watch. Look for soundness, and athleticism, natural balance and carriage. Look for resistances or stiffness or unsoundness. Know what sorts of injuries or unsoundness you can handle and work with, and which you must reject. Put your hands on the horse and look into his eyes. You can’t do that on a video. JMHO. Good luck.

4 Likes

I really think Texarkana nailed it.

It is so important you go with someone who either has a connection at the track, or is familiar with the people there. There can be a lot of hurdles when it comes to getting the whole picture of the horse and not all of it is trainers being shady or dishonest: there may be language barriers or the people who own the horse now only have a snapshot of his history. While I value trainer’s opinions, when I am looking at a prospective horse, I really want to know what the groom and the rider think of this horse. They live and breathe the horses in their care and have a very good pulse of that horse’s temperament.

Be patient and remember that trainers, grooms, and riders are BUSY and on a schedule. They don’t always have time to chit-chat; they also deal with a lot of tire kickers, so take none of their brusqueness personally.

An experienced eye can look past the pitfalls Texarkana mentioned – and yes, jogging rarely showcases a horse in their best light. As NancyM suggested, you really want to see these horses work / breeze in the morning which is EARLY.

The only other thing I will add is, no horse retires from the track completely sound. They will all have some form of bodily soreness because racing is hard work. Sometimes it is just residual muscle soreness that goes away as their workload is reduced. Sometimes it’s something requiring veterinary care. How you can tell which is which depends on your eye for soundness and your experience with racing.

The way they are shod on the track is not how most sport horses are shod. You will likely deal with some growing pains as you pull their plates and address their long toes and underrun heels. They are trimmed this way deliberately to improve breakover, and it can be a multi-month journey to get their feet and bodies back on track. Expect that there may be some abscesses or sore points in the months following, and stay on top of their angles.

When it comes to picking out one in the shed-row you are interested in, ask to see him. Go into the stall and put your hands on him. Run your hands down his legs, feel for bumps, old injuries, scars, or anything hot that might indicate past or present injury, surgical scars, etc. Do not expect a warm and fuzzy horse and don’t be put off by a horse that seems irritable or grumpy - they are micromanaged to such a degree that sometimes they lose a little personality in the hustle and bustle of race life. They are fed high octane food, usually kept in a stall while they are at the track (but most enjoy plenty of turnout in the off season), may have ulcers from the stress of race life, and are just all around kept in a way that may not be conducive for most horses. That is not to say they are abused or kept poorly - some of these horses have better food and medical access than most humans do. Go in knowing that for a horse in the hands of good race connections, being rehomed to a casual rider is a downgrade, not a “rescue”.

And most of all, keep an open mind and good luck. Please keep us updated on your journey. OTTBs are one of the most rewarding horses you can have, in my opinion.

17 Likes

Brilliant! You’ve succinctly captured the reality that escapes so many first-time OTTB purchasers.

That attitude has always made me a little crazy, especially since I know all too well that with my late, delicate-flower Cat, it took months at home before she was back to looking as good as she did the day I picked her up at the track (except for carrying a bit more weight). :laughing:

14 Likes

Thank you all! I guess I just needed reassurance that majority of what I’m seeing is stiffness and soreness and to explain that to my trainers (experienced in starting/training youngsters- not so much with right from the tracks)

This won’t be my first ottb, just my first directly from the track. My current OTTB has finally decided to retire (18 and for years was sound with front shoes and only an abcess a year. Got a ddft tear :cry:). I have a friend from the track who knows my trainer well, and she knows the local track well and which trainers to avoid etc.

Hardest thing is that I look at equibase and their starts and their replays–looking more at how they’re moving to the start line or how they come back vs the actual race-- and really like them only to watch a jog and see soreness. It’s slightly disheartening bc there are many where I love the walk only to have a slight hitch in the trot.

Thanks again everyone and wish me luck on horse shopping!

5 Likes

It’s always a gamble. But a horse who otherwise seems to be functioning well but has a slight hitch at the trot in hand isn’t necessarily a deal breaker.

Of course, no one can tell you definitely if it will be a problem or not. The best you can do is find as much info about the horse as possible, maybe have a few “experts” weigh in if you don’t trust yourself, then go with your gut whether or not the horse is a risk you can take.

4 Likes

In addition… know WHO you are bidding against to get the horse you want to buy. If you are in love with a tall, strong gelding, built like a tank, with straight, clean legs and a successful race record showing “speed”, know that the chuckwagon guys will probably out bid you to get him. They have plenty of money to spend, and THIS is what they are looking for. They have agents at every racetrack across the continent, buying whatever looks like what they want. You will have better luck with a smaller gelding, or something that has just never shown a lot of speed or desire to really run (which may well be soundness related). Or with a mare. The chucks won’t take mares at all, geldings only. So a mare without a great race pedigree enough to make her a potential top broodmare will be more affordable.

3 Likes

The only problem with the shorter horses is that I’m tall with a long leg. Anything shorter than 16 hands and I’m going to look like I’m schooling a pony. (Sometimes I wish I was shorter so I can buy those ponies- some are just adorable)

Current guy I’m looking at is 16.2 7yr old gelding, good race record and so far looks like the only time off hes had has been for winters(common practice here-it gets too cold to run them). Only problem is I can’t see him in person as he’s 14 hrs away from me- but my track connection sent him to me as she’s dealt with the trainer several times.

I love me a mare, would prefer one acutally, but I’m not being picky on gender as that doesn’t really matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

I would rather have a horse that has at least did a show in thier race record- or at least attempted a race. Another I was looking at was on the track for 2 years and only worked at 3furlongs. Wasn’t like his times were bad- they were quite good, so that raised some questions on why they kept pulling him up. 4 or 5 furlongs are needed to qualify to race here.

Still, thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

1 Like

The jog is really to see if they paddle or wing or have something major like that going on. The PPE is where you see if they are lame/ sound, hopefully. Don’t buy off the track without at least a simple ppe unless you can afford to keep the horse as a pet.

6 Likes

Yeah I agree with this sentiment lol the very best in terms of talent one I ever got off the track was possibly the lamest skinniest one I’ve ever bought.
But it wasn’t really anything wrong with him, 10 years old, 80 something career starts, many wins, had ended up in bad barns for the past few years and was starved. I had a connection at the track who had actually claimed him for a very low tag because she had known the horse for a long time and knew he was a good horse in a bad situation. She fed him well and ran him to prove a point that he was great and he won twice and then had a bad finish and she gave him to me lol.

He was sooooooo stiff and sulky and sore for like 2 years. Never ever unsafe just grumpy and uncomfortable. But after some time he was EXCELLENT. Like bombproof, scopey, honest, just soso good jumped beautifully over absolutely everything he was just sososo fun and safe and sweet and easy, just a really classy horse. I had like 6 horses I was taking care of at the time and any time I needed something fun and easy he was my guy. I only ever showed him to the .90s but no lie the lady I sold him to who was just a normal good riding person who wanted to do a little jumpers a little dressage sent me a security camera footage picture of him nose to knees clearing a 5ft paddock fence at her barn to get over to a friend :joy:

So you never know what you’re gonna get at the track lol I really think he could’ve been a 1.30m horse if I had gotten him younger, I knew his story and was too scared to push him more and honestly he got a great life so who really cares, he’s happy and will never miss a meal ever again.

15 Likes

Re-upload bc I posted the wrong photo lol

Update for everyone! I found my pony- my local track connection sent me him and within hours of seeing his jog video he was sold pending vet. He has close to a perfect jog that a track horse could have- in just a halter and no chain!

We did a PPE on him as he’s 7 and raced 22 times. Flexed a little off, so we xrayed and other than some minor wear on one of his fetlocks- his x-rays were clean!

He’s a either a little bum high (or he has great glutes from the track lol) or slightly downhill, but when he’s moving you can’t tell. I’ll be doing some ab stretches with him as his back is fairly long. He’s got some pretty big horseshoes to fill!

His JC name is Drew for anyone curious on him. His “gap year” is him trying out for the chuckwagons- he is a little pushy and belligerent but that can be fixed. He didn’t like the rough and tumble of the wagons.

24 Likes

@Sneet-o, congrats on your new horse!

if you’re interested, here are some pictures of his sire, Bayern: Bayern - Horse Profile - BloodHorse

2 Likes

I love his name! :rofl: Handsome boy. Wishing you all the luck with him.

2 Likes