Unlimited access >

Buying/building a barn… is this a pipe dream?

Looking for a 20-30 stall barn with an indoor in the mid Atlantic regions, unfortunately really have to stay in one of the more expensive areas. At this point, have looked at everything on the market. We don’t need top of the line but does need to be show barn level with good footing. There are options, but all are pretty much at the top of our budget and need 100k+ in work/renos to host the level of program we are looking to run. Found one that was pretty much turnkey and had an accepted offer that fell through when the seller got super nit picky in attorney review.

So we started looking into buying land and building, found two lots that seemed interesting and while the numbers would still be tight, seemed like it could be doable. Turns out both are in flood zones.

Our budget is 1.5 million

Feeling very defeated and heartbroken, guess I am looking for possible commiseration or advice? TIA

2 Likes

I am in Texas and do not believe what you desire can be built for $1.5M, we had a review of just our house at what it would cost to build it was $600,000.

Land costs could eat that $1.5M completely up

Be sure to check the your area’s requirements for Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) that originally was intended to oversee large operations but is rapidly be brought down to include very small operations

Have you explore using a Small Business Administration loan to purchase an ongoing operation? I had a friend who used a SBA loan to buy another friend’s ongoing setup in Conn.

4 Likes

This is what we’ve been finding, sadly. But, occasionally lots pop up that are more affordable… 500k for 15 acres isn’t unheard of in my area.

Due to our budget constraints, I am curious though skeptical of modular barns? Does anyone have any experience with them? The grand sierra model at 96 ft is 20 stalls starting at 164k https://barnpros.com/structures/grand-sierra/grand-sierra-96/

They also do indoors starting at 215k (spitballing an extra 75k here as I would want it longer than 120’, so let’s say 290k)

And assuming shipping/installation costs as much as the structures themselves that brings me to about 1.4. Account for about 60k in fencing and would need footing for the indoor so it’s over budget but the closest of anything we’ve considered.

I have a small MD Barn (an original Barnmaster actually, before the buy-out) and it’s been fabulous, zero complaints actually. If I ever got a wild hair to “start over” with a new place, I’d totally price out MD Barns and other modular or kit barns. It’s been so easy to work on. My Dad just added a ceiling to my feed room and now I’m 100 percent happy with it, and I bet if you ordered one (I got mine as-is on the property I bought) you could specify things like that.

1 Like

Do you mind me asking what your installation costs were like vs cost of the actual structure? Obviously would expect more for a bigger barn but trying to get an idea

1 Like

We built an MD barn a long time ago, and have been very happy with it. Originally, we were going to go the way a lot of people do around here, which is to put up a metal building in which to build out stalls. This was way quicker (after the dirt work and concrete were done), since it basically bolts together, only took days, and we pretty much didn’t lift a finger (other than to write the checks).

At the time it was built, we had the crew put in a tack room ceiling, and we use the space above that (under the roof over the tack room) for light-weight, long-term storage.

Don’t know how one will do in a cold climate, but there was an option for insulated walls; we ordered an insulated roof only, which is sufficient here.

1 Like

You are going to have to up the budget or go less stalls to make your pipe dream work.

I haven’t seen anything under 1.5 in a while with that number of stalls.

5 Likes

We had an accepted offer just below 1.5 on a 24 stall facility with a large indoor, dust free footing, large outdoor too.

Really bummed that deal fell through.

2 Likes

Footing for an indoor is a six figure prospect in itself.

14 Likes

I think your numbers for the indoor alone are almost impossibly low - at least to get it to a useable condition. Footing is going to be over $100k, easy, and that’s not GGT or the super fancy stuff.

5 Likes

I don’t mind at all!!

So when I bought my property, literally the only thing on it was the barn. No power or water. No fence or any other improvement, just the barn completely set up with concrete and mats and feeders and everything installed. It was plug and play. When I did a refi, I called MD to get a value and it came down to $56k for the kit and shipping for a 36x36 4 stall center aisle, but not installation, prep, or concrete. And this was …2019 price? I think. I got a 24x36 shed row with two stalls quote in 2021 and it was $52k so that tells you what prices did. But they are great at giving quotes for the building and shipping, and could have resources for install quotes too depending on the area.

1 Like

The numbers don’t include footing, that’s why I was saying I would need it and that would put it over budget— but still the closest to what we’re shooting for so far. Footing can definitely be over 100k for top of the line stuff from big name companies, but it doesn’t have to be. I’ve had quotes in the last month or two about 60-70k for water dependent sand and fiber type footing, and that includes excavation/installation.

3 Likes

Can be but doesn’t have to be that expensive. I’ve had quotes for 60-70k with install for water dependent sand and fiber type footing.

I think the deciding factor, if I decided to go with the modular barn and indoor, would be how much delivery/install costs. The structures themselves are ~164k for the barn and ~290 for the indoor.

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

I think also, just like with houses, you can really start to blow the budget on finishes as well. The starting prices are the base structures. I talked with some of those companies several years ago when I was considering a small hobby farm type project (but turned out the soil reports for the affordable horse friendly lots in my area made the house builders uncomfortable so I scrapped that idea) and they are super helpful if you want to ask them your questions.

1 Like

What does this mean where you are for these properties?

Are they normally dry and usable and only a floor risk doing a 100year storm? Or are you dealing with land that has additional drainage issues that are going to be very costly and/or next to impossible to deal with?

Being in a floor plain can also limit what you can get for insurance.

3 Likes

And, the FEMA maps do not account for non-FEMA sponsored drainage work.

The property could be fine, if someone did drain tiles, etc etc.

1 Like

What did the facility close for? Should be public record and where at in the mid-atlantic? Certain areas in MD, Clarke County, and beyond will be cheaper than Loudoun/Fairfax of course.

I’m in Jefferson Co. WV ( still mid-atlantic) and you couldn’t find what you are looking for for 1.5. Any property w/ land is getting sucked up by developments.

If you do buy a fix-er-upper, make sure you have a realistic budget. It costs more than you think.

3 Likes

I know of a similar property here in the Tri-State that sold last year for exactly that—20 stalls, immaculate (true show barn), beautiful indoor and outdoor. The catch: no house on property.

2 Likes

Sadly building is wildly expensive. A client of a realtor friend up in NJ has apparently priced out building an indoor and all quotes have been close to 1 million.

I agree you could probably find a property without a house at that price or it will be something that needs work. Good luck!

2 Likes