Unlimited access >

Buying First Trailer - HELP

I am planning to buy a 2 horse bumper pull w/dressing room trailer very soon to haul a quarter horse to 4-H and fun shows.

I have been looking for months and can’t decide which is the best fit for us. So many brands, differing opinions, wood floors vs aluminum, and hyrid vs all aluminum.

Locally, Adam, Exiss, and Eclipse are available. I have also considered driving 3 hours for a Hawk and Merhow in my price range of under $15,000.

I want a trailer with 2 escape doors, ability to remove the divider wall, separate exterior door for dressing room, ramp, and no troughs.

I would appreciate any insight you have regarding any of these brands and their durability.

Buy a copy of Neve Sheve’ Guide to Buying, Owning, and Maintaining a Horse trailer.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maintaining-Servicing-Trailer-reference/dp/0876056869/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429726745&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=Buying+owning+and+maintaining++a+horse+trailer

Best book on all topics and many others you’ve brought up.

Foxglove

In my area the Hawk has the best re-sale value of the ones you listed. I love them.
I personally do not like the couple Adam’s that I have seen. I don’t think they have the quality feeling of a Hawk or the old Trail-ets.

I personally prefer a wood floor (with mats) over aluminum (with mats). I don’t know enough about Rumber to comment on that type of flooring.

I have a 2014 Merhow 2h with a short dress and I love my trailer.

I purchased it custom built from Tobruk in TN (Dave is on here and might chime in) and my trailer is definitely the most intelligently designed, user friendly trailer of any that I have worked around. I have no sharp corners anywhere, the whole center divider pops out no issues, the ramp is light and the covered hinge is super easy to clean and my dressing room is perfectly arranged.

I had a horse on the trailer on a very sunny day last week and with the insulated roof and fans on it was COLD inside the trailer.

My guy ships great and this thing tows perfect. Way better than some others I tried.

You get what you pay for. I think mine was just over $14k brand new delivered. The comparable hawk weighed way more and didn’t have the intelligent features in the horse area.

The only one I’d consider over this might be a cimmaron but those will also run you 19k up for a 2 horse.

I just purchased an Exiss 2h straight load with a dressing room a few months ago and I love it! Tows great (I have a newer F150) and is put together really well.

We also own a 15 year old Exiss (bought brand new) with a live in quarters and the trailer has held up beautifuly, which is why we bought another one. I also looked at a Merhow and I like them as well. It was a close call but I went with the Exiss because of how well our other trailer held up (my mother in law also owns a 14 year old 2 horse Exiss and its held up really well).

The Exiss was slightly cheaper than the Merhow, but not by much (I paid just over $14,000). I like the look of the Exiss a little better and I like the full post divider. The Merhow’s bum bars attached to the divider, but there was no leg on the post. I like the leg as I find that it stabilizes the divider better, but that’s just my preference. My brother in law has a Keifer trailer and it does not have a leg post as well and it drives him bonkers. He’s getting one added asap.

We are looking at a Merhow to replace our live in quarters trailer (our current one is too small) and the quality is very nice. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one of these trailers. I can’t comment on the others as I don’t know much about them. I was looking at featherlights, 4 star, sundowner, exiss and merhow and I chose the Exiss out of them.

Good luck in your search :slight_smile:

I purchased a slightly used Gore 2H trailer with a dressing room about three years ago, and it is AMAZING. I was considering buying a new Hawk (I really wanted the side load door), but at the time, I didn’t want to wait several months for it to be built. If you can find a slightly used trailer that otherwise meets your needs, I would highly recommend buying used over new. My trailer was essentially new…had only been on two trips, but it was four years old when I purchased it. Because of that, I was able to purchase it for $8,000 despite it’s original sale price of $22,000. It also helped that the previous owner’s daughter had quit riding, so she really wanted to get rid of it as fast as possible.

At the time, I did tons of research on trailers, and Hawk and Gore were the two brands that everyone consistently had great things to say about. I love my Gore because it’s clear that the design is well thought out, and it drives so very well.

Good luck with your search!!!

I second the recommendation for a Gore trailer, if you can find one. Mine is 11 years old and looks like new. Very well made and solid trailer. Gores are more expensive but they hold their value.

Best of luck.

I bought a new aluminum 2h BP Sundowner last year and am very happy with it. There is plenty of room inside. It is light and airy, so most horses get in happily. The ramp slope is not steep, and has a good quality rubber surface so my horses don’t slip. The ramp is not heavy, so it is easy to raise and lower. I have drop down windows, so the trailer is cool on very hot days. There are no sharp edges that could cut a horse.

Shop around and look at a lot of trailers until you see what you want. I bought my trailer in Ocala,Florida, as it was much cheaper than buying locally. I called all over the country to heck availability and pricing. The trailer dealer delivered the trailer to me in Virginia.

PM me if interest on info for a 2h Sundowner my friend has for sale.

I have a 2005 Merhow 2h+dress that I use 2-4 times per month since I purchased it used 4 years ago. It is usually stored in a barn when not in active duty, but it has seen a LOT of miles. I believe it is the Equilite XL, aluminum skin and steel frame.

I adore it. It still looks virtually brand new. We are considering upgrading to a 3-horse bumper pull soon, and I am seriously considering driving across the country just to stick with the Merhow brand.

I have been a diehard Sundowner fan since purchasing my first one back in 1988.

But… Our local marine dealer actually has a Homestead Stallion 2H slant BP with dressing room on it’s lot, and we stopped to look at it the other day. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of materials and the finish details. It was REALLY nice - and cost was $9K.

Seems a lot cheaper price than many other manufacturers… maybe go check one out?

If you buy a used Sundowner, be sure it is not from the years with the Suncoat metal incompatibility that caused floor damage and frame damage. We have been very happy with Sundowners over the last 15 years.

[QUOTE=moving to dc;8124876]
I have been a diehard Sundowner fan since purchasing my first one back in 1988.

But… Our local marine dealer actually has a Homestead Stallion 2H slant BP with dressing room on it’s lot, and we stopped to look at it the other day. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of materials and the finish details. It was REALLY nice - and cost was $9K.

Seems a lot cheaper price than many other manufacturers… maybe go check one out?[/QUOTE]

I looked at these, but they were HEAVY, like 500-1000lbs heavier than other aluminum and alum/steel trailers out there from more mainstream brands. I would have needed a bigger truck.