Unlimited access >

Buying My Lesson Horse vs Buying a Non-Lesson Horse?

FYI, it isn’t always a red flag if a lesson barn sells a horse. Good lesson barns sometimes find that a horse they got for one level of classes or weight of rider doesn’t really work out for that, and they already have plenty of schoolies for the level where it would fit. Or even, that a horse can do the work but would really prefer to be have one or two people rather than a merry go round of riders. Some barns don’t have enough land for all the horses to retire, so they rehome some who can be ridden but would benefit from a lighter workload for long enough to win a retirement spot at that next home.

All that said, if your description of his conformation is accurate than this horse might well benefit from a flat work only home. I passed on adopting a young mare in Haiti with conformation like that, since mountain trail work under saddle would put a lot of torque on joints that aren’t lined up reasonably well. It’s ok to say that he’d be better off in a different job.

My barn has an active lesson program, and sells quite a few school horses to riders who fall in love with “their” horse. The horses are all sound and suitable for lower level riders.

2 Likes

That old saying actually means “character and behavior are more important than appearance.” In other words, a surprising high number of very oddly put together horses are competing at the top of the game. They’re "handsome " because they win.

I totally agree that conformation for soundness is a huge factor in reducing injury, but a great mind and athletic expression can overcome many other shortcomings. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I personally would not buy or “adopt” this horse. But lease him? Maybe. It depends on whether you feel that he is currently at the right level where you learn from him every time you ride.

If he only tripped the one time, I wouldn’t be concerned, although I’d want to know why he tripped.

The biggest concern I’d have about leasing is whether you’d get so attached to him that you’d feel you ought to buy him at the end of the lease. From your description of his conformation and the kinds of goals you mentioned (jumping 3’ for example), he does not sound like the horse for you over the long-term.

2 Likes

I second the suggestion to lease this lovely horse. Leasing is a wonderful way to dip your toes into horse ownership, and most good lesson barns encourage leasing as an intermediate step before buying.

In terms of buying this horse, I think you and some of the other posters have conflated unattractive with poorly conformed/unathletic.

I once owned a horse I considered painfully ugly. She was a cream colored few spot app with pink skin, a rat tail and wisps for a mane. She was painful to look at. I often threatened to dye her coat and get her a fake tail, as she was actually quite well put together and quite athletic. I completely forgot what she looked like when I was on her, as she was a delight to ride.

Unattractive is one thing. Poorly conformed/limited in athleticism is entirely another.

It sounds like this horse isn’t just unattractive; he’s unathletic and somewhat limited by his confo. That’s okay, riding schools are full of horses like this, and they do very well kept fit in a steady program and not being asked to work beyond their ability.

If he’s useful as a lower level lesson horse and the tripping is a one time incident, I would enjoy a short lease of him while looking for something that’s more likely to suit you long term.

5 Likes

I would pass. Not only because of his conformation and gait issues, but because it will be difficult to impossible to sell him in the future.

From your post, I am assuming you are young person, which means you have some huge life transitions ahead of you (such as going away to college, and after college, you may relocate to new areas for your job, and you’ll need to pay for your own living expenses on an entry-level salary. Most horsepeople are unable to maintain horse ownership during this time of transition-- it’s very common to sell the childhood horse and then pick up horse ownership again later when their life is more settled.

In your shoes, I would lease horses that can do the job you want. If you really want to buy, make sure it’s a horse that you expect will have market value. Now is not the right time of life to be anchored down by a horse who won’t be marketable when it’s time for you to move on.

Assuming you stay at this stable, you can always still visit your favorite old lesson horse, and I bet the trainer would not mind if you bring him in for grooming and treats.

5 Likes

I agree that one tripping incident isn’t cause for concern and I have seen some riding incidents break bones when you really think they shouldn’t. As far as conformation goes, pretty is as pretty does. I have seen some horses that look like they are put together by committee remain sound for years of work.

Whether or not buying him is a good idea should be based on a few factors. How much do you like him? How likely is he going to stand up to what you want (vet opinion)? Are you OK with any actual or potential limiting factors.

When I bred my mare, she had some personality and conformation quirks. I had a conversation with my trainer about potentially having a carbon copy of my mare and would I be OK with that?

Have the same conversation with yourself or bounce it off of someone you trust - if he tops out at 2’6" would you be OK with that? If he is only sound enough to jump for the next few years, would you be OK with that?

If the answers are Yes, then get him. It’s OK to really want to jump 3’ and not get him because he may be limited, horses are to expensive to be dissappointed that you can’t do what you want. On the other hand, some people just enjoy horse ownership and whatever they can do with THAT horse, and that’s OK also.

1 Like

@HungarianHippo, great point.

The vast majority of horse owners do need to consider future salability if other things in our lives change. That is a great argument in favor of leasing.

3 Likes

I went for my lesson today and when I went to catch Harry (the horse up for lease or adoption), I called his name and he came full on galloping to me. He usually walks to meet me after I’m like half way through the field or close to him, but has never ran or came from such a distance. It just felt SO good to see him leaving his herd in such a hurry for me. He doesn’t even do that for my trainer, the woman who feeds him every day.

But, of course, that did not help lessen the attachment I have to him, lol :nonchalance:

I’m worried that if I buy a different horse, I’ll regret it, especially if I ride in a lesson with someone else riding Harry (which I’m 90% sure would happen, since one of the girls I take group lessons with is “horse-hopping” right now.)

Apologies for this entire situation seeming so childish and annoying ugh. I know that good conformation is very important as far as athleticism and even safety for the rider and horse, but I can’t see myself having a bond equal to or better than this one with a different horse.

1 Like

Since you don’t know what to do now, have you had a vet check done yet?

If not, you can do that and see if there is something really seriously wrong, or if a vet thinks he would hold up “for the intended purpose”.

Then you will have more to go by, but be aware that, if you are not really yet sure, the school may not want you to check him out, clear that first with them.
Most times, when you go on to vet check, you are supposed to buy the horse if nothing is found, unless both parties agree the sale is not sure yet.

1 Like

When I bred my mare, I was willing to accept a carbon copy of my mare. My filly is SO MUCH BETTER and everyone comments about how much she loves me. A trainer I lessoned with today, that had seen us several times at shows, said she would jump off a cliff for me. If that horse could never get past Beginner Novice Eventing (I want to at least go Training one day), I wouldn’t care. She has an oversized head and big ole antennae ears that other people may not appreciate but I do.

So, I would suggest getting a vet’s opinion and sitting yourself down afterward and seriously consider if you have competition/peronal goals that you MUST be able to do (nothing wrong with that) or if you want the bond you have with this horse and are willing to adjust if your horse cannot do what you want to do (nothing wrong with that, either).

That will answer your question.

1 Like

Not to be short, but this is the sixth horse you’ve ever ridden and you’re afraid you won’t ever find a bond like this again?

:lol:

I love your enthusiasm girl, but it’s like I tell my friends who are dating - there are plenty of fish in the sea. Or, in this case, horses in the field. And a bunch of them are likely to be a hell of a lot more suitable to your goals than this one. Do not settle.

If you were in a different position, I’d say spend your money however you want so that your heart is content. I have my soul mate horse in my back yard - he’s 11 years old, lame, and mostly just pretty to look at. BUT I can afford that and I made that choice. I have seven others – and, lame party trick, they almost all knicker and come running when they see me. (It happens when you feed them daily…) I have more in my barn than you’ve ridden in your lifetime, which is why I post the laughing emoji – every. single. horse. has something to offer you. Their personality, their work ethic, their “bond”… I promise you can get along really, really well with multiple horses.

I’ve won three really big (Congress & World) titles with three drastically different horses. The key was that they fit their intended purpose first, and then I picked my favorite second. It’s like picking clothes, but on a more important level – if you wear a medium, you don’t look at the smalls and larges - you look at the mediums. And THEN you look at cut and color and design.

If you want to buy this horse and understand that you cannot expect anything out of him beyond what he’s currently giving you, great! But, if your ambition is to do more, than it’s not fair to expect or ask him to rise to that level – he’s showing you what he is, believe him. And I promise there are plenty of fish in the sea who you will love just as much, if not more. :wink:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t buy this horse because a) his conformation is bad enough for an advanced beginner rider/intermediate to notice that it is terrible; and b) he isn’t trained yet to do the job you are hoping to buy a horse to do.

It doesn’t mean he’s a bad horse but why would you buy a horse that may never be a good jumper - if you are hoping to jump it? What will you do with him if he turns out to be a horrible jumper and/or is lame?

This is not a 1st horse. The first horse is the one that is already trained to do what you want, and gives you a good experience. After owning a well-schooled horse or two, then you might look at project horses.

2 Likes

FWIW, any bond you have with a future horse will not be the same as the bond you have with this horse. Yes, you can develop strong bonds with different horses in your life and each one, just as the individual horse, will be different.

Good suggestion on pursing a pre-purchase to get a vet’s read on the suitability of this horse on the day of the exam to perform his intended job.

Also consider if his conformation is questionable, how re-sellable he might be if you need to do that in the future (as none of us know what the future holds). Are you in a position to retire and care for him if his conformation leads to career ending unsoundness?

I agree with WMW, every bond is different with each horse. Speaking for myself, I cherish every one, the memory of the past horses and the relationship I’ve begun this year with my current boy. Each one is different and exceptional in one way or another…

Just something else to think about when buying a horse from a lesson program, even if he had perfect conformation and no doubts as to his suitability. Many lesson horses in a full riding program are quiet and obedient BECAUSE they are in a riding program. You don’t know if he’s quiet because it’s his nature, or because he is in steady work. Going from up to 2 hours a day of exercise down to 45 minutes, you might see a different attitude. Maybe there’ll be a spark of energy that you’ll like, maybe there will be more than a spark and you won’t. Also, if he’s in a quality program, he’s getting at least weekly schooling rides with a trainer. Unless you are paying for training board, that "tune up"won’t be there. Some horses are very well confirmed in what they know and will keep cranking it out, most others will decline in obedience and performance.

This is not to say that some great first horses cant be bought out of a lesson string. But just because they are wonderful and quiet as schoolie does not mean they will stay that way with one beginner/intermediate rider. You might find he has an even better personality that was hiding under the boredom and tiredness of his routine - or that boredom and tiredness was keeping a lid on a sense of humor you might not like. Schoolies can be emotionally shut down - this is sad from the horse’s standpoint, but it can also be useful to humans as it makes them non spooky and non reactive. The horses cope with the stress of multiple riders by shutting off. Learned helplessness makes a horse into a reliable tool. But take them out of the string, give them one on one attention, let them come back to life and many will bloom. Just be aware that being fully alive can also encompass spooky and reactive behavior (they are nature’s snack after all).

Good luck.

3 Likes

You love this horse, you want to own or lease him, the trainer has offered him, you can afford to keep him, so I would lease him and enjoy your time with him. I don’t think it’s childish, I think its nice. As long as you understand what his limits are, and can be disciplined about respecting them: that’s a big part of being a good horse owner. Keep in mind it’s not just your neck you risk when you do things beyond his limit - it’s his neck too, and you have to look out for him. That means that when your friends are doing advanced coursework Harry shouldn’t be doing and they ask you to join them you say, ‘Naw - me and Harry, we’re good just hanging out over here.’

2 Likes

This is a very good point. I bought a horse I’d been riding at a lesson/trail ride barn many years ago. He was working all day, every day when I bought him. I kept him at the same barn but with the reduction in work, he turned into another horse altogether. After my first bad bolt when he turned me into a lawn dart, I started taking lessons. But I kept getting dumped. When I ended up in the ER again, I faced reality and sold him to an operation similar to the one from which I bought him. The barn where I bought him didn’t want him back.

Rebecca

OP-you don’t ever have to apologize to COTH for loving a horse. We can help you look at him more objectively, but you don’t ever have to be sorry for loving on him.

6 Likes

Just to add another story. I rode a horse years ago who was a lovely mare. In a lesson you could ride a beautiful hunter course and for a long time I wondered why she was a lesson horse. I later found out that if she was worked several times a day she was wonderful. However, when only ridden once a day or less she was terrible! That’s why she was in a lesson program and stayed there until retired. So horses just need that much and others would sour on it. You have to get the right fit.