Unlimited access >

CactusKate Memorial Ad...make a creative contribution.

Hey All!

Welp, we’ve got the money raised, we’re working on all the other logistics and this weekend I’m getting together with Bill to work on laying out the ad. So what does that have to do with you? EVERYTHING!

Throw some copy at us. This ad is being made possible by y’all . I know we’ve got some copywriters out there and just some scary-creative folk. So lets have it. Famous Horsey Phrases, Famous non-horsey Phrases, lines from poems published or not. Let’s hear it

Thanks!

– Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

[This message was edited by lisamarie8 on May. 14, 2002 at 03:59 PM.]

Had the exact same experience not too long ago - I think Cactuskate will remain in my address book forever, as will her emails.

I love the part about the horse trailer. Sniff!

I love that quote.

Here is a part of one of Kate’s posts when she was so open to us all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If my days are numbered as I said before, I am thankful for EVERY single one that I am able to be up and around and enjoy some of my passions in life. We are all born dying…at least I have a clue, I could have been in an accident and it all could have gone away instantly<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead

I always think of Cactuskate when I read it

Wings: that was very nice to read. Thanks for sharing.

“Oh, don’t be so humble. You’re not that great.” - Golda Meir

Hey All!

Welp, we’ve got the money raised, we’re working on all the other logistics and this weekend I’m getting together with Bill to work on laying out the ad. So what does that have to do with you? EVERYTHING!

Throw some copy at us. This ad is being made possible by y’all . I know we’ve got some copywriters out there and just some scary-creative folk. So lets have it. Famous Horsey Phrases, Famous non-horsey Phrases, lines from poems published or not. Let’s hear it

Thanks!

[This message was edited by lisamarie8 on May. 14, 2002 at 03:59 PM.]

I often lurk and would always see that name. Now I see this memorial thing. What went on? What is the memorial for?

AVC

“The American dream does not end when it comes true for you. It becomes your duty to make it come true for others.”-Dr. David Satcher, U.S. Surgeon General

I just wanted to post to say that even I could not have imagined when I posted the news about Catuskate’s passing, the incredible response that the email received, and the progress that has been made on the article about her is truly inspiring. Many of those close to her in her everyday life had no idea what a “presence” she was here. I just wanted to thank those of you who have contributed to the article, or thoughtfully offered your condolences during such a difficult time. That thread was forwarded to her family, and although they may have been surprised to discover what a huge impact she had here, I am sure it came as no surprise to them considering what a wonderful person she was. Thanks once again to all of you … and may we all be blessed with a 2nd “family” such as this.

but perhaps one of the quotes like:

“No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle.” (under her ‘Rocketman’ photo)

or

“God forbid I go to a heaven where there are no horses.”

Or something taken from her posts?

Has her family indicated that she liked a particular poem?

=^+^=

I just haven’t been the same since that house fell on my sister.

She died of cancer a few weeks ago.

If you do a search on her name in this forum, you’ll find a few very lengthy threads about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>“May we all be blessed with a second “family” such as this.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a wonderful sentiment. And some people on the outside think the equestrian world is all about ribbons and one-upsmanship and money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>“No hour is lost that is spent in the saddle.”<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I picture that quote under the rocket man pic I get goosebumps…

CactusKate Info

I’m going to think on the body copy some and will post a suggestion or two when the muse has done her deed.

avc brings up a good point without realizing it – not everyone will know what that photo means, or what Kathy went through. Would a brief synopsis be appropriate?

Sully’s Brag Page

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” - Will Rogers

Here are two of the things she said to me:
“The love of horses is a disease for which there is no cure. So never sell your tack, because you never know when you’re going to have a relapse.”

Is that just pure Kathy, or what?

And my favorite:
“Cancer can not take from you your spirit, your sense of humor, nor your friends.”

I know she was including her COTH BB friends in that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Cactuskate posted Feb. 06, 2002 07:45 PM

Of course I am so appreciative of all your kind words, thoughts and prayers. But I am not surprised, as we are a great bunch of cyber-friends and family. You too are an inspiration. There are too many fine statements to acknowledge all of them. As has been said by others, attitude is so much a part of healing, or just dealing with the hand you have been dealt. From the moment my wonderful Gastroenterologist gave me the news, my focus was “Well what the hell do we do now?” He was straight forward, gave the good case, bad case choices. I first stated I was not going to be “the crusade for cancer” and they were not going to make a “human toaster” out of me. Felt better saying it at least. But then I thought about an old joke, about the man that was caught in the flood. An SUV came by to offer him help when the water was at his porch, but he said, “No, God will take care of me.” Then he was on the second floor and a row boat came by to rescue him. “No, God will take care of me.” He is now on the roof and a helicopter hovers to help him, “No, God will take care of me.” When he drowns and is at the pearly gates he asks God, “I thought you would take care of me?” God replied, “I sent you an SUV, a rowboat and a helicopter. What more could I do?” So I realized I must take advantage of all the medical resources out there to give myself every chance to beat this awful disease. Any energy I want to spend on good things, not what if it hadn?t happened, or why me? There is no answer to that question and it is a waste of my time. If my days are numbered as I said before, I am thankful for EVERY single one that I am able to be up and around and enjoy some of my passions in life. We are all born dying…at least I have a clue, I could have been in an accident and it all could have gone away instantly. And I am sure you will all enjoy this tale. I am in the doctor?s office; he has just explained the depth of my disease and recommended immediate surgery. I am sitting cross-legged on the exam table. Mind you this Doctor is a mild mannered man of Middle Eastern descent. He is wonderful. I suddenly burst out with, “God D##N it. I just ordered a $15,000.00 horse trailer and I will be hanged if I am not going to haul my horse around in it. I haven?t even taken delivery on it yet.” Well isn?t it interesting the “important” things that come to mind at interesting times? His response was, “Well it is important to have a positive outlook.” And as they say the rest is history. It was asked the particulars of my symptoms. I certainly would be glad to share and will email if you would like. This might not be the “forum” for all of that. I also have been doing a broadcast email progress report to my friends now and then, saves telling the same story over and over and over…if you want on the list just email me and I will put you on the list. One last thing, with the grace of the Mayo Clinic, I can?t say enough praise for them, do not fear chemo therapy. The medical technology and chemistry is amazing today. They prepare to counter side effects to minimize the discomfort. I can honestly say from both chemo treatments and the last one was 3 days in a row of 2 ? hour infusions, I have only felt like I had a bad case of flu and took meds for the nausea and haven?t lost the cookies yet. Love to you all and we will be keeping in touch!

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Posts: 1672 From: Bumping along life’s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ. | Registered: Aug. 29, 2000

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead

I was going through my Yahoo! address book the other day and there she was. I can’t bring myself to delete her address.