Unlimited access >

Cactuskate

I think we should all re-read Kath’s post - and in tribute to her, do as she did and as she hoped we would do - live each day to the best of our ability - and try to have fun.
I lost my sister to stomach cancer, there was nothing fair about it -
This sad loss does put the day to day small details into perspective, yet again.
My sincere condolences to Kath’s family.
That picture of her is burned in my heart too…

Gail

This is why I go to work every day.

I was thinking of her this weekend and was going to contact her to see if the hummingbird babies had left their nest (they were due to this weekend)

Nice image to think of all of them taking flight.

Celebrate her spirit, mourn not her loss.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

An inspiration, a laugh, a shared smile at a memory. What a lady!

I hope someone can print this thread out, or email it to her husband so that he knows how many people across the globe loved Kathy and were jangling their curb chains for her.

Robert Urich died today from a rare joint cancer which had been in remission until last year. In a soundbite from an earlier taped interview he said (in response to a question about how it felt getting 50,000 pieces of mail after the cancer news broke): “The most amazing thing was learning that love has power.” Kathy knew the power of the curb chain.

Bob Urich was a horseman also; there could be worse versions of heaven than meeting Dan Tanner @ the Rainbow Bridge and going for a trail ride together!

~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”

Here’s the thread with the “rocket man” pictures, for those who might have missed it the first time.

An absent BB’er checks in, bring curb chain and thank Sister Louise and Sister Heidi

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child, a garden patch,
or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier because
you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I never knew her, but judging by her own thread and this one, I think it’s safe for me to say that she truly succeeded.

“Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.” -Oscar Wilde

I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
– John Keats

Oh no!

My prayers are with her and her family.

God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
~R. Graham

I really didn’t have much contact with Cactuskate, but the posts I’ve read and all your posts here make me wish that I’d known her!!

I hope that if I’m ever faced with a similar situation that I will have her grace and courage!

Mnay prayers for her family.

Oh dear.
The above poem Coreene posted is simply beautiful.
She chose to live her life fully, God Bless her and Amen

Can someone post those pictures??? I need to be inspired!!! I can’t seem to find them! What a strong woman!!! I could only hope to be as stong as she was.

BARB*

House hunting on Long Island…we’re looking at cardboard boxes…since that’s all we can afford in a nice area…:slight_smile:

We were all so privleged to have crossed paths with “CactusKate” she truly was courage and strength personified. I only knew her briefly on this BB, but am so inspired by her. I wish her family peace in this impossibly difficult time.

www.meandercreekstable.com

My heart goes out to her family. I lost my mother 2 years ago to cancer. It is a disease that is very hard on all those around and especially the afflicted. I hope Kate is enjoying a wonderful hack in heaven.

I personally will kiss my husband, give the dog half my food tonight, and bring my horse his favourite treat.

We all need to slow down and focus on the important things. Family and friends.

We will have a big margarita in her honor. I am sure she will be looking down from Heaven and loving every minute of it.

My heart goes out to her family. What a truly inspiring lady.

~Katie~
“The earth shook, the beach grass trembled, he propelled himself forward, and he flew.” ~Mark Helprin

But if you aren’t, um, I think it’s CACTUS KATE, not “Cactu Skate”. But hey, I could be wrong!

~Erin B #1
A priest, a nun, an Irishman, a Scotsman, a cowboy, a lawyer, a salesman, and a blonde all walk in to a bar. The bartender says, “Hey, is this some kind of joke?”

I am so sad. We cooresponded once in a while, and I always enjoyed her sense of humor and joy in life. Good rest to a beautiful soul.

I think that maybe we should dedicate our volunteer days to her - I have a feeling that she would have been right in the middle of the activity, if she had been able.

“We ride and never worry about the fall.
I guess that’s just the cowboy in us all.”
Tim McGraw

I’ve cried a couple of times today, too. Kathy sent me two photos of her on Bud, including the Rocket Man snapshot. She truly wanted to “help” other cancer victims/survivors. She said she wanted to inspire others to just keep going, to grab onto that zest for life (paraphrasing here), and if her photos and story could do that, then she considered her struggle worthwhile.

Was she great, or what?

Her strength, sense of humour and positive outlook during an unfair time was remarkable and I know she will not be forgotten by her COTH family.
I too, will forever have that picture of her on her horse etched in my head and will bring it into memory whenever I think I can’t get through an obstacle in my life.

What a truely inspirationaly woman she is.

Never Forgotten

[This message was edited by Tin on Apr. 16, 2002 at 10:34 AM.]

Compared with the outpouring of love and sadness here, that obituary seems so inadequate. I definitely agree that a half page ad would be a wonderful idea, and if someone let’s me know where to send a donation, I’ll be glad to chip in.

I don’t know what to say, except that she will be missed…