Unlimited access >

Caesin for Horses?

Someone shared a “Stressless” supplement on social media and talked about all of the things it wasn’t, but not actually what it contained. The website wasn’t very transparent and the pictures intentionally don’t show the amount of active ingredient but it appears that it is hydrolyzed caesin. Someone local snapped me a picture of the back of their tub and it’s 800mg serving.

They are selling a 60-day supply for $150. If a serving is <1g, could someone just buy a 100g bag from Pure Bulk: https://www.bulksupplements.com/products/casein-protein-powder?variant=32133384405103&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmL-ABhDFARIsAKywVadPpoaeV5zsiCewf5VgXzaHXvz3iN_AQ_o-LBiV_xQsHNruwu1icbEaAmvTEALw_wcB

Stressless: $2.5/day
PureBulk: $0.08/day

Further down the rabbit hole by googling led me to a product called Zylkene that dog and cat people see as a pretty potent calming supplement. The equine version sold by Smartpak is almost $10/dose. It contains 2000mg of “Hydrolyzed Milk Protein”. The Alpha-Casozepine is what is supposed to make a difference but it doesn’t even appear that Zylkene is promising 2g of Alpha-Casozepine, just that it contains it?

This is such a bizarre niche thing but now the nerd in me wants to understand. I found a study looking at Zylkene where it was identified by name so maybe they patented A-C and there are no generics?

Google says there are 4 types of caesin. In theory, could someone feed more like 3-5g of a hydrolyzed caesin under the assumption that there would be a large portion of A-C?

I’m ready to be schooled by the far more educated COTH nerds on here. Has anyone else looked into this before?

2 Likes

As far as I know, which is not much nowadays, you are not supposed to give milk to horses. Just noting that this comes from milk.

Microlactin/duralactin was recommended by my vet as support therapy during my horses’s EPM treatment. It is a milk based product but not the same as it’s dried milk from hyperimmunized cows.

I’ll be interested in seeing other thoughts on the casein. One of the reasons my vet recommended the Duralactin was because there was no side effects.

Unfortunately I can’t speak to if the duralactin would have helped for the EPM treatment as my horse died of EPM complications within days of diagnosis.

whey protein is very valid, and digestible, to give to horses. Whey protein isolate is better - higher protein, almost no lactose which is the (potential) problem. It’s less about it being 'from milk" and more about what parts.

No help on the casein side of things but now I have to investigate!

1 Like

This study on a small sample of people does really suggest that hydrolized casein can reduce anxiety
Influences of casein hydrolysate ingestion on cerebral activity, autonomic nerve activity, and anxiety - PubMed (nih.gov)

No idea on dosing for horses.

2 Likes

The study I found suggested 2000mg and referenced the brand name Zylkene https://www.vet.upenn.edu/docs/default-source/research/equine-behavior-laboratory/jevs-2014-alphacasozepine-mare-specific-aversion.pdf?sfvrsn=40fee3ba_0

I use whey protein isolate for a couple of my horses. Can’t say it’s done anything to their temperament, but I’m pretty amazed at the change in muscling. Notable difference. And it’s not just the protein–I feed quite a bit of alfalfa and have had them on triamino/nutriamino without these results.

It’s not even expensive. I order from MyProtein and get 11 pounds on sale for 60 bucks.

Thanks to this thread I just ordered myself some caesin to see if it helps me sleep.

1 Like

Where did you order from?

I ordered this from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/Smarter-Nighttime-Bioactive-Peptides-Chewable/dp/B077LXLL37/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=lactium%2Bcapsule&qid=1611856260&sprefix=lacyium&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1

I searched for lactium because a couple of the studies mentioned that ingredient by name.

1 Like

@GraceLikeRain - did you end up trying this? Any results you’d like to share?

My coach swears by Zylkene for her stallion, but it is really cost prohibitive. I’ve also been playing around with adding some Whey to my guy’s supplements for some added muscle building as we are really amping up our program now that my coach is back from Florida.

I will say I’ve been taking my lactium since I last posted on this thread and pleasantly surprised. Doesn’t help me stay asleep but it does help me turn my brain off to get to sleep. Bought some for my mom and she is finding the same. Both of us have issues falling asleep due to overactive brains, and it is helping

How much of the whey protein isolate do you feed?

25 grams/day.

1 Like

Is this the whey isolate you use? https://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-isolate/10852482.html

Yep. 11 pounds of unflavored.

Just picked more up yesterday. Just shy of $60 with tax, with code MYDEAL.

1 Like

@Simkie does it have the same effect as Zyklene or Stressless? I fed stressless for a few months… and it proved to not be as cost effective as the dosing on the label claimed. One container lasted only about 45 days feeding two scoops twice a day. It worked though, but not affordable at all.

I haven’t ever used those products, so I don’t know :woman_shrugging:

Whoa, that is one heck of a deal! Thank you for the info - just ordered some and curious to see how it compares to basic amino acid supplementation!

Yep, pretty slick, right? These guys have sales like this frequently.

1 Like