California Trace Users - Heads Up

Bloodwork update. We have improved marginally with the addition of the Elevate at 2 scoops/day (2000IU) for the first two weeks then down 1 scoop/day (1000IU)…169 to 193 but are still shy of the lower limit. Looking back, I think we could have gone at that a little more aggressively before backing it down.

We are off the CTPlus now and switched over to Custom Equine Nutritions Vermont Blend Pro and Omega E, which is flax with 2500IU E per serving. Im going to keep adding a half scoop of my remaining elevate which is prob a couple weeks worth. That should be a good bump up then keeping it with whats in the Omega E. The vet wasn’t too concerned about drawing numbers again soon with it improving, albeit slowly and the amount in the Omega E.

1 Like

Results are in.

Shayney is on two sources of E. First is Santa Cruz “Natural Vitamin E Plus”, of which she gets one scoop (4,000 IU). Second is E-Se-Mag, for the general Se deficiency in this area of the US - the E is not the primary reason I give this (1,000 IU). 5,000 IU total.

Blood results (normal range 2.0 - 4.0 ug/mL) = 6.84 ug/mL

Just wanted to share.

2 Likes

I’m just curious if this Vitamin E issue has caused anyone to back off using CT or CTP?? I have a cresty/fat pockets youngish horse I’m considering trying to switch from TC Ration Balancer to CTP to see if that makes any difference. (wishful thinking most likely lol!)

I don’t use it anymore. Switched to Custom Equine Nutrition Vermont Blend Pro and Omega E products.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be concerned about the E issue, except to just make sure you supplement reasonably. It’s no different from the forage balancers that don’t have E at all

CT is a bit cheaper than VB, if that’s a consideration. And E can be cheap to add

1 Like

CT is a bit cheaper, but has approx. half of the Cu/Zn (175/500mg vs 300/900mg). CTP is more expense than VB.

2 Likes

Yes, I was referring only to the base - CT vs VB, not the Plus/Pro products. Not all horses need the higher cu/zn of the VB, so no need to spend more just to get more, if more is just…more LOL

CTP is definitely more $ than VB Pro

2 Likes

But even regular VB has 300/900. The only difference between VB and VB Pro is the serving size and the prebiotics.

1 Like

Yes, VB as a whole has more cu/zn than CT. But not all horses need that much extra, so no need to pay for it. At some point, more is just more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IS the serving size on VB Pro larger or smaller than VB? How does the serving size compare to CTP?

Agree with the sentiments, but how would one know if your horse “need(s) that much extra”? Other than a hay analysis, of course. TIA!

VBP is half the volume of VB. 1/4c vs 1/2c

CT and CTP are 2oz and 4oz respectively, I have no idea the volume of their scoops

speaking only to powders, and of the average sizes horse

1 Like

At some point it’s about the horse. Is the diet “properly” fortified on paper, but still excessive bleaching, too many hoof issues, chronic or recurring rain rot or scratches? He likely needs more

1 Like

The volume of VBP is slightly smaller than CTP IME. It’s hard to make 1:1 comparison with the powder vs pellets, but I’d guess the CTP full serving is closer to 1/3 or 1/2 a cup while the VBP is 1/4.

1 Like

CTP comes in both pellet and powder. Are you using the volume of CTP pellets?

1 Like

Yes, I only tried the CTP powder once and it was so resoundingly rejected that I stuck with pellets when I fed it.

2 Likes

IME, the volume of pellets is much less of a concern, vs the volume of powder. The ingredients used to pelletize these icky-tasting minerals tends to make them a lot more palatable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fair enough, thanks!

1 Like

Interesting, ok, palatability certainly has been an issue in the past for mine. :wink:

1 Like

Very helpful, thank you!! I’ll do a little bit more research and try not to stay in the “paralysis by analysis” phase too long, LOL!

2 Likes