Unlimited access >

Calling all pedigree and/or conformation gurus!

Hello again…:slight_smile:

Still in search of my ideal (first) horse, and seeking the wisdom of the CoTH community. I know nothing about TB pedigrees or her particular sire/dam, and would love any insights you can provide in those regards. Also, any obvious conformation flaws that you can see?

Confo shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107129614@N04/11031218444/

Pedigree: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107129614@N04/11031262673/

Thank you!!!

ETA: I suppose it would be helpful to your evaluations to know what my plans are for her… In short, nothing too ambitious. Low-level hunters and some eventing, if she’s into it. Probably mostly flatwork and lots of trail rides.

Can you ride it? ride it a few times at different times of the day, take someone with you to watch. Pedigree doesn’t mean a darn thing if you don’t get along with it in the first place. Does she go on the trail already? Ride her, do the things you would want to do as her owner… if she has a problem doing those things, keep looking OR be aware that you will need to pay for more training. Red mare some people think that is an issue, do you get along with redhead sparkyness?
When you get your vet check, be honest with the vet about what you want her to do (including eventing) so he can consider her in that way.
Hope you find the right horse for you
LB

Photo shows a beautiful horse, with no glaring issues, but how old is that photo? I’m a Storm Cat hater, but that is strictly personal. Plenty of people on this board will disagree :wink: How old is this horse, and what has she done? As far as the chestnut mare adage, I’ll dispute it because I had the sweetest mare ever who happened to be a ch., TB mare.

Hard to tell from just one picture and her standing over her front end and out behind.

For a riding horse not aimed to the top, I kind of prefer those TBs without the overly large, tremendous shoulders others like.

While they give you that stride, they are harder to put and keep together without them getting in their own way.

Many excellent jumpers had a bit less shoulder, more straight and so managed to fit in tight spots well.

She seems to fit all around, longer underline to her belly, longer over the top of her neck, not as refined as most females, which is an asset for what you want.

I am not sure of her expression, but it is just one split second in time, maybe was asked to be more alert for the picture than she normally displays, she may have relaxed the next one.

You know, from one picture, especially today when we can enhance and improve them, I would not make much of a decision, just go see what she is in person and, more important, how she is when she moves and how she handles.

The pedigree looks like a mix of types, hard to say what may have come thru in her.
She really doesn’t stand out as any one of those lines I have known in particular.

Thank you LB, TM and Bluey! I really appreciate your insights. And Lost boy-- temperament and how I get along with her will definitely be criteria #1 for whether I get her, but I just want to glean what I can from the info at hand before I go see her. And I will definitely be very forthcoming with the bet about my hopes for her. Not sure how she is on the trails yet, but I’ve got a call in to the seller on that.

[QUOTE=Toadie’s mom;7273160]
P How old is this horse, and what has she done? [/QUOTE]

Right, obviously this would be helpful info too. Thanks, Tm. She is 9. She was a late foal so she never raced. Trained and showed on the line in Hunter Breeding Zone 4, then showed baby green and Pre-Green in Palm Beach and Little Wood in Florida.

TM, why the Storm Cat hate? Please share!

Her head/face: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107129614@N04/11031231314/

Much better angle to see her face, that looks there relaxed, amenable and sensible, while it looked a little uptight in the full body picture.

With the rest of the story, I think you have a good prospect there for what you want, if she is all that in person and fits what you like.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Toadie’s mom;7273160]
Photo shows a beautiful horse, with no glaring issues, but how old is that photo? I’m a Storm Cat hater, but that is strictly personal. Plenty of people on this board will disagree :wink: How old is this horse, and what has she done? As far as the chestnut mare adage, I’ll dispute it because I had the sweetest mare ever who happened to be a ch., TB mare.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you about the chestnut mare thing. I’m always puzzled when I read negative comments about them. When I was a kid my girlfriend had the sweetest, most tolerant chestnut mare who showed incredible patience and kindness to two nine year olds crawling all over her and handling her. Yeah, single-fact science, but that’s my opinion.

she has good breeding in her ancestors lol
nah my opnion for what your intending to do she will be just fine
can do a lot more with her she has a kind eye
i would buy her myself and bring her on to what i want to do

good prospect go see her in person and have a go then go back again
ask them to leave her out so you can tack her up get her and groom her

as no good getting a neddy if you cant catch it lolx and dont forget to pick all her feet up
lol

My chestnut mare doesn’t have a mean bone in her body and is not mareish in the least. I wasn’t looking for another chestnut (have a chestnut gelding), but she was just kind-hearted and trying to please, so I really couldn’t resist.

This girl looks lovely, OP. I won’t comment about the conformation, other than to say nothing really pops out. She seems well put together to my ammy eye. I hope you get her and have many happy years together!!!

[QUOTE=Bluey;7273295]
Much better angle to see her face, that looks there relaxed, amenable and sensible, while it looked a little uptight in the full body picture.

With the rest of the story, I think you have a good prospect there for what you want, if she is all that in person and fits what you like.:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! (And I agree- much sweeter expression in that pic.) :slight_smile:

She’s nice,I really like her.
I am not the one who said it,but a lot of people do not like Storm Cat because he was very tough.
However he is very far back in your horse’s pedigree,so probably nothing to worry about.

[QUOTE=jump pony;7274102]
She’s nice,I really like her.
I am not the one who said it,but a lot of people do not like Storm Cat because he was very tough.
However he is very far back in your horse’s pedigree,so probably nothing to worry about.[/QUOTE]

That is when you have to look at the individual in front of you, when you wonder what all may have come thru down from what you know in their pedigree.

Long ago Northern Dancers also had a reputation for some of them being a bit on the rank side, but we were lucky to have some of them and not have any turn out to be hard to handle and boy, were they good journeyman horses, that keep on keeping on.

We had some Princequillo ones that were known for being somewhat flighty you may say and yes, some of the ones we had were that.
Sweet, willing to work with you horses, but a bit less confident type horses.

We look at pedigrees to see what we want and what we got, but pedigrees are an imperfect way to stack your genes in your favor.

I hear that with gene mapping, that some are using in performance horses today, still a very new science, we perhaps some day come closer to get what traits we are after, with the right gene manipulation.

Brave new world.

She looks like a sweetie and has clean confirmation.
I think she’ll be well suited for your aspirations!

I see no warning flares in her confo. It doesn’t sound like you are planning on any super challenging stuff, so as long as she passes a vet… She has a sweet looking face.
As far as pedigree, I like it. I LOVE Marquetry and Olden Times.