Unlimited access >

Calming paste, liquids, supplements?

Has anyone had any luck with using Perfect Prep, Chill, or any other supplement for a stressed out horse when showing?

Took my horse to her first ever show. She is covered and dripping in sweat when being trailered. Is quiet when trailering, but is stressed. At a show, she goes off her grain and is picky with hay. Riding her at shows, she feels like a stick of dynamite under me-- super looky, anxiously gnashing her teeth, pawing, not wanting to stand in line. Had to scratch classes as she had a meltdown in the ring at one point. Longeing, riding the snot out of her, earplugs-- none of this seems to help and she just gets more wound up.

On the last day of this 5 day show, we were showing in the arena and she was almost like herself when sheā€™s at home. Showing outside, she is a typical chestnut mare :unamused: At home, this mare is a superstar and gives you 100%.

Yes, I know she definitely needs more miles, but at the same time I want something that will take the edge off, keep her relaxed, and not make her dopey. Does anyone have any recommendations for products that seem to work?

Honestly there isnā€™t really anything that works and is also legal. Basically anything that works is made illegal :slight_smile: because itā€™s influencing performance.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard of people who swear by both of those products. Try it, and see. But I think at best you will notice a modest difference. I donā€™t think you will find a legal substance that will be game changing when it comes to relaxation at a show.

1 Like

Can you take her to more local shows to just hang out, and only ride if sheā€™s quiet enough just walking around?

How are YOUR nerves and behaviors? Some horses are really sensitive to how we are behaving.

6 Likes

Definitely going to get her out more, itā€™s been tough because there are not many shows this year where I am located due to wonderful COVID.

I will admit that I do get very nervous when it is my time to show. Warming up I am calm and collected, and then when I step in the pen I get that typical heart racing, butterflies fluttering, stomach in your throat feeling. Usually I try to stay more focused on executing the pattern correctly and not worry about the judges.

I am going to get some Chill and trailer her around the block to my coachā€™s place in the next few weeks. Iā€™ll see how that turns out :grinning:

1 Like

I donā€™t think any of that stuff works.

I do think that a young horse learns really well by being paired with an old cynical horse whoā€™s been there, done that, and eaten the T-shirt. Do you have friends who have empty spots on their trailers at horse shows? Can you take her out with those horses- not to go show, but to hang out at the ring near the buddy horse and wander around the property and check out the scary loudspeaker? (Donā€™t do this with the same horse every time or youā€™ll create anxiety at being separated from the buddy horse.) Or put her on the trailer with a friend and go trail ride, since it sounds like anxiety about shipping is part of the problem. Your idea about trailering her around the block sounds like a good one.

A 5 day show is a big ask for a horse whoā€™s never been to a horse show before. Itā€™s a big ask for humans too, whether or not we get nervous when we walk in the in-gate!

2 Likes

Turn the issue on its head. How does the horse responds if you take a chill pill?

I have watched William Fox-Pitt sitting on a young horse at an important international Event just letting the horse stare at everything, hear the loud speakers, watch what was happening in the arena and collecting ring, adjust to the crowds of people He just sat on the horse, on a loose rein and waited until the horse stopped reacting then moved to a different position and did it all again.

One thing that might be useful is to desensitize your horse with flags and banners and noise around the arena at home.

3 Likes

I have a mare who has also been difficult to show. Treating for ulcers has helped a LOT. I did the usual 30-days treatment years ago, and for any hauling event I give her ulcer meds the day before, day(s) of, and day after. Sheā€™s still spooky at shows, but a TON better.

You could try confidence eq. If you go to the website they will send you a couple samples. Itā€™s not a miracle but it does seem to encourage them to lick/chew and take a couple deep breaths, which can be helpful in getting them to settle.

2 Likes

This is where you start then :slight_smile: When you are nervous, youā€™re telling your horse thereā€™s something to be upset about, and because they canā€™t see/smell/hear whatever it is thatā€™s freaking you out, it amplifies.

Do you follow Tonya Johnston, Mental Skills Coach on FB? You should. One thing she ā€œpreachesā€ a lot, in all kinds of ways, sometimes outright saying it and sometimes not, is that fear and excitement are physically very similar in what our body is doing, from the adrenaline to the rushing thoughts. So one thing that can be helpful is to tell yourself that this is excitement, not fear.

Alpha-Casozepine is actually proven to have a ā€œcalmingā€ effect, and thatā€™s an active ingredient in Zylkene.

research teams have conducted several alpha-casozepine studies and found that supplementation helps lower horsesā€™ stress levels under normal management situations and might help horses retain newly learned tasks.Ā²

Taking the Edge Off: Calming Supplements for Horses ā€“ The Horse

Honestly, most the time itā€™s the human that needs the calming supplement :rofl:

My horse was on calming supplements when I purchased him (it was disclosed to me, nothing shady) for being spooky. I did continue that for about a week after I moved him but now have an almost full bag that the previous owner gave me sitting in my garage.

Heā€™s way less spooky now then when he was on a supplement. He honestly just needed time, consistency and training.

He still can look at things but again, itā€™s just time and training. He really has come far without any supplements. Better than when he was on them.

2 Likes

I have used Synchill (you can get off of Amazon even). I give a tube about an hour before schooling and then another tube about an hour before competition. It has helped my mare tremendously and I notice a difference.

I also recommend scoping for Ulcers or if you donā€™t want to scope, do a 30 day treatment because almost all horses have ulcers, itā€™s just a matter of how bad they are.

1 Like

Very good success with magnesium in MagRestore pellet supplement form. We start a few days before a show, and discontinue after rather than feeding every day. This prevents bowel looseness, in my study involving a single dressage horse. Well, technically not a study, just a single case report.

I have heard that magnesium bathing with Epsom salts just before a show, giving enough time to dry also works well. but I have no experience with that route. Magnesium (epsom salts) is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream, in case anyone is wondering how a bath could possibly work.

Taking your horse to a 5 day show for itā€™s first time seems a bit extreme to me? No wonder the horse was a nervous wreck.

It might be normal for everyone else but usually the first few shows ( in my day) were more about learning for both horse and rider than anything else.

Instead of calming agents why not just take it slow and let the horse gradually adjust to the new routine? Trailer to some low grade local shows just for the experience of riding and then go home.

2 Likes

Honestly, a lot of first shows for horses can be pretty triggering. I always hauled my youngsters to several shows long before I ever entered the first class with them to get them acclimated to the routine of hauling and showing. Some of them walked off the trailer the first time like it was no big deal and were always pros. More of them were snorting booger heads for the first several times away from home and it took some time before they were show ring ready. And others act like snorting booger heads every. dang. time. they got to a show and those get calming supplements (which do help them settle with less drama) and lots of hand-walking, lunging, and schooling before the show starts.

I am a huge believer in Magnesium for horses that tend to get wound up over things. A lot of times if there is a deficiency (or just a need for extra Magnesium), it wonā€™t show up until the horse is stressed. Sweating depletes Magnesium, so your mare is probably sweating some out in the trailer as she frets quietly about the hauling.

Smart Calm Ultra helped my gelding when he went through a horrible time adjusting to a new boarding barn. He acted like he was at a show for an entire year. He just never would settle in, was always on his guard and anxious, and no matter what I did, I couldnā€™t convince him that he was ā€œhome.ā€ Some of that was due to it just not being his idea of a happy place, but he started having muscle spasms and being overly reactive to everything for seemingly no reason. Once he was on the Smart Calm Ultra (10g of Mag in it) consistently, he began to improve every day. Eventually, we changed barns to a place he was more comfortable, and heā€™s off the SCU, but I keep him on Magnesium because it seems to help his back not be so tense.

The good thing about Magnesium is it wonā€™t hurt. I think horses can eat like 800% more than the recommended amount and be fine. My horse eats about 400% more than he supposedly needs. I could cut him back (heā€™s almost too chill now, LOL), but I give it now more for his back than for calming.

A few years ago I had a coach who had me use Chill at a show. My mare was very ā€˜chillā€™ and sleepy at the trailer. Once we got in the ring, she was so much worse then usual. We felt like the Chill took her out of it a bit, so she fought back very hard.

I have tried the Confidence EQ, but did not find much of a difference, but as stated above, they do offer samples, so it cannot hurt to try one.

I like Positude by Equine Elixers. I pump a few extra servings into the feed on show day