Unlimited access >

Calming Supplement for Horse in Recovery for DDFT Tear Injury

Hi all…

My boy decided a DDFT tear was a great way to get a prolonged vacation. Of course, what he didn’t count on was the fact he is going to be confined to a stall for a long period of time.

He is not a stall happy horse when the others get turned out so I am trying to determine a calming supplement I can use to keep him settled, or at least settled enough he isn’t going to try to tear the stall down. I’ve looked at several supplements, tried to locate the better ingredients but can’t make a decision.

I have an e-mail into the vet but he hasn’t responded back as yet. From experience, most vets don’t have any one preference and won’t recommend one supplement over another unless there are known dangers.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=TLKNG1;8781369]
Hi all…

My boy decided a DDFT tear was a great way to get a prolonged vacation. Of course, what he didn’t count on was the fact he is going to be confined to a stall for a long period of time.

He is not a stall happy horse when the others get turned out so I am trying to determine a calming supplement I can use to keep him settled, or at least settled enough he isn’t going to try to tear the stall down. I’ve looked at several supplements, tried to locate the better ingredients but can’t make a decision.

I have an e-mail into the vet but he hasn’t responded back as yet. From experience, most vets don’t have any one preference and won’t recommend one supplement over another unless there are known dangers.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

As well as a supplement, I would ask your vet about reserpine, powdered atravet etc if your horse isn’t happy in a stall. It really is important they stay as quiet as possible. The supplements you might have to play around with. I have found that each horse responds differently.

Is he alone in the barn after the horses are turned out or does he have a buddy? Having a friend is key. Is the barn you are at super busy? This can adversely affect them as well…too much activity for their busy brains to handle.

Just at 15 minutes of trot and 2 laps canter for rehabbing my horse from DDFT and some other minor injuries. He was on stall rest with handwalking only from October 2015 until April 2016 and then started walking under saddle for a month and started adding in trot in May. Still not on turnout but I handgraze him for a couple of hours everyday.

If you’re not on it already make sure your horse has great nutrition to help with the healing process. Very important. Hay to keep him entertained and toys in stall etc are great too and if you can get him out as many times as possible to walk, groom etc. that will help as well.