Unlimited access >

Cameras?

I spend much of my riding without instruction or even knowledgeable eyes on the ground. I have a tag sale camcorder that has been valuable to me so that I can see my riding regularly. Unfortunately it is starting to show signs of dying.

I know many like Pivo. Unfortunately my tracfone phone is not compatible. So going that route would also mean finding a new phone so more $$$. And given the hit or miss tracking other users at my barn are experiencing, I am not sure it is worth it.

Does anyone else use a (relatively inexpensive) camcorder that they can recommend? The only downsides I have found with mine is that there is a corner of the arena that is “blind” and the current one only records to mini DVDs. (Newer ones record to SD cards).

Does anyone else record on anything but their phone?

Yep, on my Sony Carl Zeiss 60X Optical Zoom DCR-SX40! I video all my lessons, some practice rides, have used it for online showing. I download the videos into Sony Memories using my laptop, edit if needed, and upload to YouTube if I want. No mini dvds, no sd cards.
Does it move with me? No. Do I need someone for online shows to move/zoom? Yes. Do I catch most of my lessons? Yes.
It’s cheap, and I’m not afraid to use it at the barn.

2 Likes

I use a wee small knock off go pro from amazon. I think it was like $30? it’s in a case that has a flat bottom so I set it on the indoor rail or fence post outside and it works fine enough. It won’t zoom, so it’s useless if I’m on the far side, but has a good shot if I’m on a 20 m circle.